Save the Green Planet - Yorgos Lanthimos

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I never said you owed positivity to the users here. But if it becomes habitual, and even personal, then don't you think you owe yourself a little more positivity?
Quite the contrary. I'm overly positive and lenient. MoFo doesn't reflect all my actions/behavior very well.

I've been a dedicated film buff since the late 80s and have seen almost everything that's been made since then... I would consider maybe only 3% or less of the movie I've watched were truly good or memorable, and even less quality as really, really cool. But what makes them even more precious to me is the fact that for every one of those pretty good or better movies, I must have watched hundreds of forgettable ones and even more mediocre ones.
3% sounds tough. Are you an elitist or what? What's your top 10?

To be a real film connoisseur, you must be able to have the patience to go through hundreds or even thousands of movies in order to find the ones that are truly outstanding to you (and your choices may be different from others, of course)
Sure, but many more should be just good than something like 3%. Assuming you've seen 10,000 movies, this means you only think 300 films were great. I guess if you watch EVERYTHING without any sort of filtering and ONLY stuff released theatrically in the US, then this might be true. This is genuinely sad, though. I'm actively pursuing and watching great stuff.

Not understanding that the overwhelming majority of movies you're going to watch (if you're anything more than a casual moviegoer) is going to be dull, mediocre or forgettable is the sign of an amateur, and sounding as though you expect every movie to be a masterpiece is a sure sign of something even worse than being an amateur - but I will not say it here.
Again, depends on how you go about picking your films to watch. If you go to the cinema to watch every single film that's screened then I imagine I can get behind of what you're saying, at least partially. If you're more into curated/conscious/quality choices, then this is unfathomable. Unless you're an elitist, of course.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

To be a real film connoisseur, you must be able to have the patience to go through hundreds or even thousands of movies in order to find the ones that are truly outstanding to you (and your choices may be different from others, of course)

Not understanding that the overwhelming majority of movies you're going to watch (if you're anything more than a casual moviegoer) is going to be dull, mediocre or forgettable is the sign of an amateur, and sounding as though you expect every movie to be a masterpiece is a sure sign of something even worse than being an amateur - but I will not say it here.

Then don't expect it to be a masterpiece, but try to appreciate its merits throughout, even if those merits are outweighed by the flaws. In fact, the biggest reason I decided to watch so many bad movies and ever to get invested in Full Moon Features was because many "worst of" lists are way too opinionated and often include good stuff. One guy from a website I used to go to had Pink Floyd's The Wall and meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell in his bottom albums of all time. The list had a lot of other hit albums so he ended up deleting it, likely because people didn't like it. That actually inspired me to check out many of the worst musical artists on Earth: Brokencyde, Psycho Synner, m_AJ_ik, Kitties of Death, Daddy's Boy, Onision, Thrash Queen, etc., all for the purpose of creating a REAL bottom 100, full of albums so bad that even if you ended up liking some of the albums up there, denying many of the albums would be impossible.

Tarantino himself said that he doesn't bother hating bad movies, since they teach him what not to do when he's making a good one. That also really helped me when writing Nialoca. But there are many movies people say are bad and they aren't, like Good Burger, the first Transformers, etc. You see some people just delivering practical hate speech about these movies in their reviews. One guy told me Disney's Hercules was the worst movie he's ever seen, I relayed this to my sister and she says, "the this guy's had a pretty good experience with movies if he actually hates THAT." Negativity risks overreaction as well as positivity does.

In other words, opinions vary

In other words, opinions vary
They indeed do.

Nevertheless, I expect Save the Green Planet to be Lanthimos' biggest failure, just like Oldboy is Spike Lee's, not that Spike Lee isn't a failure outside of Oldboy, too...

Way to keep an open mind....

Way to keep an open mind....
A prediction and an opinion mean I'm not open-minded? You literally just said that only 3% of films you watch are worthwhile.

A prediction and an opinion mean I'm not open-minded? You literally just said that only 3% of films you watch are worthwhile.
Here we go again, with the amateurish logic and the lack of reading comprehension (if not outright misrepresentation of what I said).

Yes, forming a strong opinion about something before you've seen it does very much mean you aren't being open-minded. If you say you expect something to be the "biggest failure" before a foot of film has been shot, then you are definitely being closed-minded.

As for the 3% figure - please either work on your reading comprehension or stop misrepresenting what people say. That's a rough estimate of movies that imho are "truly good or memorable", per my very own post. That's a very different thing from something being "worthwhile".

Any chance to watch a movie I've never seen before in a theatrical setting is already worthwhile. It may not mean the movie will be particularly good or memorable, but I am already very happy to be watching something in a theater that I have never watched before.

There are thousands of movies I barely remember and would not want to watch again. But the fact that I've seen pretty much anything I've ever had a chance to watch means that I appreciate the really good ones so much more.

Yes, forming a strong opinion about something before you've seen it does very much mean you aren't being open-minded.
Saying I expect something to happen is far from forming a strong opinion, though. I expect the new Nolan film to be mediocre, too, but Nolan might surprise me.

As for the 3% figure - please either work on your reading comprehension or stop misrepresenting what people say. That's a rough estimate of movies that imho are "truly good or memorable", per my very own post. That's a very different thing from something being "worthwhile".
Fine, but this fussing over words doesn't change the overall point I made.

There are thousands of movies I barely remember and would not want to watch again. But the fact that I've seen pretty much anything I've ever had a chance to watch means that I appreciate the really good ones so much more.
Good ones like what?

Saying I expect something to happen is far from forming a strong opinion, though. I expect the new Nolan film to be mediocre, too, but Nolan might surprise me.
I hope you aren't saying that Lanthimos doesn't have a stronger track record than Nolan.

A very bad example, then.

Look, it's normal for amateurs to start dismissing a movie that hasn't even begun shooting. I'm hoping maybe some day you will be better than that.

I have no idea whether I will like this or not, because unlike you, I like to keep an open mind until after I have watched the actual film. I may end up liking it, or hating it, or being completely indifferent about it - but to try to prejudge a film that's not even in production yet seems... quite the folly.

Gonna try to get the thread back on topic....

Yorgos Lanthimos can’t stop (won’t stop!) working with Oscar winner Emma Stone, casting the actress once again as leading lady for his next project “Bugonia.”

The drama will also star Jesse Plemons who, along with Stone, appears in Lanthimos’ forthcoming “Kinds of Kindness.” That three-chapter feature just premiered on Friday at this year’s Cannes Film Festival.

“Bugonia” follows two conspiracy-obsessed young men who kidnap the high-powered CEO of a major company, convinced that she is an alien intent on destroying planet Earth. The script is from heat-seeking “Succession” and “The Menu” writer Will Tracy.

Focus Features has won domestic rights to distribute the project. Universal Pictures will roll out the film in global territories, save Korea where “Parasite” producer CJ ENM will release. The latter is financing the film with Fremantle. CAA Media Finance and WME Independent brokered the rights deal.

This package is loaded with pedigree. “Bugonia” is based on the 2003 Korean film “Save the Green Planet.” It was developed for English adaptation by acclaimed director Ari Aster and Lars Knudsen for their Square Peg production label. Aster and Knudson will produce the project with Lanthimos veterans Ed Guiney and Andrew Lowe (Element Pictures), alongside Lanthimos, Stone and Miky Lee and Jerry Kyoungboum Ko (CJ ENM).

“Yorgos Lanthimos is a cinematic visionary with a singular style that has captivated audiences worldwide. We could not be more excited to partner with him, Emma and the incredible teams at Element, Square Peg and CJ ENM to reimagine this twisted and darkly funny story,” said Focus Features honcho Peter Kujawski.

“I am thrilled to introduce the intriguing story rooted in Korean Cinema’s hidden gem, in collaboration with the ideal team of talent and producers, alongside the reliable studio. I expect that Yorgos will ignite a dynamic chemical fusion with his unique style and the novelty of the narrative,” added Kyoungboum Ko.

Stone is represented by Anonymous Content, WME, The Lede Company and Johnson, Shapiro, Slewett and Kole. Plemons is represented by TalentWorks and attorney David Matlof.

Lanthimos’ prolific body of work includes “Dogtooth,” the Oscar-nominated “The Lobster,” “The Killing of a Sacred Deer,” “The Favourite,” and the triumphant “Poor Things” — which this year earned 11 Academy Award nominations and four wins, including best actress for Stone.

Look, it's normal for amateurs to start dismissing a movie that hasn't even begun shooting. I'm hoping maybe some day you will be better than that.
Your attempts at making me mad are futile. You're just boring and this leads nowhere.

but to try to prejudge a film that's not even in production yet seems... quite the folly.
Just a hunch, largely based on the fact that American remakes of Asian movies turn out terrible.

Just a hunch, largely based on the fact that American remakes of Asian movies turn out terrible.
*sigh*

Lanthimos isn't an American filmmaker....

*sigh*

Lanthimos isn't an American filmmaker....
Never said he was, but it looks like the American Ari Aster will be among the producers, the film will be shot in New York, and it'll probably end up as an Irish-British-American co-production, like his two previous films. Maybe with some support from Korea's CJ Entertainment, bemoaningly.

EDIT: Also, isn't the writer, Will Tracy, American?

All of Yorgos's English-language movies have been international co-productions, and so will Bugonia. None of them can be considered "American" in any meaningful sense, especially since they are all clearly shaped primarily by the vision of a GREEK director.

The truth is in here
This is the first Yorgos movie I'm not as excited about. Considering the overflow of remakes and his abiltiy to tell exciting original stories, I'd rather get something that hasn't been done before.
This is also the third one in a row that will star Emma Stone. Nothing wrong with her, she did an amazing job in Poor Things. But try varying up your cast a bit more. Otherwise it might get a bit repetitive always seeing the same familiar face again.

I don't seem to remember any complaints when Scorsese did a whole bunch of movies with DeNiro...