My Favorite Action/Adventure Films

→ in
Tools    

Midnight Run

This underrated action comedy about a bounty hunter (Robert De Niro) determined to bring a white collar criminal (Charles Grodin) to justice works primarily to sharp direction from Martin Brest, who directed Beverly Hills Cop and the surprising chemistry created by the stars.

There will be a lot of my favorites in this thread and already has been, like True Romance, Heat, Midnight Run, and Swordfish. The only one so far that I dislike is Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

A special thank you for teaching me the word "dickering" in your op. I'll look forward to using it starting today.

The Marine

Really wasn't expecting much of a movie starring a pro wrestler, but this movie was such a pleasant surprise. This film had me on the edge of my seat from the beginning and had me until closing credits. Cena plays a former marine who goes into Rambo mode when his wife (Kelly Carlson) is kidnapped by a group of jewel thieves...not much of a plot, but it's just enough to initiate one of the best slam-bang adventures I had seen in a long time. As expected, Cena isn't much of an actor, but Robert Patrick is solid as the head jewel thief and there are some spectacular special effects. The film has one too many endings, but it's one helluva ride.

Jarhead

Jake Gyllenhaal, fresh off his triumph in Brokeback Mountain, took a complete 180 with this riveting war drama that took a look at a select group of soldiers deployed during Desert Shield and the effects of war. Gyllenhaal commands the screen like he never has and there are standout supporting turns from Jamie Foxx, Scott McDonald and especially Peter Sarsgaard. It's not an easy watch, but worth the journey.

The Rock

A nerve gas attack on the worlds most famous prison is the linchpin upon which one of the best action pictures of the 1990's takes place.

Back to the Future

A textbook comic adventure that is also a great example of great storytelling on film that made an official movie star out of its leading man. Michael J. Fox replaced Eric Stolz as Marty McFly, the teen with the loser legacy who, thanks to his friendship with a loopy scientist (Christopher Lloyd), gets transported back to the year 1955 and in order to get back, must get his parents (Lea Thompson, Crispin Glover) to fall in love. Robert Zemeckis ' direction is energetic and detailed (pretty sure producer Steven Spielberg had his ear), Fox lights up the screen and don't underestimate the work of Christopher Lloyd...it's a beautiful performance, full of warmth and nuance.

First Blood

Sylvester Stallone introduced his second most famous character in this action drama about a drifter being hassled upon his arrival in a small town by its redneck sheriff (Brian Dennehy), but has no idea that they guy he's tangling with is a one man killing machine. The screenplay is pretty one-sided and the little dialogue Stallone has is often unintelligible but this movie puts you on John Rambo's aside immediately and you stay there.

Got some good ones here, especially Jarhead which I find underrated. Heat, Batman, Midnight Run, and Lethal Weapon are also ones I enjoyed.

I've been wanting to watch The Getaway and True Romance for a while but can never find Getaway, and True Romance is overpriced in stores. I can never catch them on TV either.

Keep it up!

Batman (1989)

Jack Nicholson rules the screen in the best performance by an actor in 1989 as the Joker.
This

Kill Bill Volume I

For those who think this film's appearance here might be premature, feel free to make your own list. This film is actually a very simple story told on an epic scale, and I mean epic. In terms of storytelling logistics, master scribe and lensman Quentin Tarantino has created a monstrous story of sometimes chilling proportions that makes no apologies for its brutality. Uma Thurman, never a personal favorite of mine, does command the screen here as cinema's most durable bride and I have to give a shout out to the lady of a gay man's dreams, Lucy Lieu.

Death Wish

Again, never been much of a Bronson fan, but the importance of this film in cinema history cannot be ignored. Bronson plays an everyman who takes the law into his hands when his wife (Hope Lange) is murdered and his daughter is raped in his apartment while he's at work. This film not only brings the audience craving for bloodlust to the surface but adds an additional layer as we find a man's entire belief system threatened by tragedy.

Romancing the Stone

Director Robert Zemeckis knocked it out of the park with this brilliant blending of action/adventure, romance, and character study. Kathleen Turner plays Joan Wilder, a repressed author of romance novels who flies to Columbia when she learns her sister (Mary Ellen Trainor) has been kidnapped and gets a large assist from an adventurer (Michael Douglas) who seems to be a recreation of one of the heros from Joan's books. The film is not only loaded with action as the stars search for treasure and the obvious romance that we see coming a mile away, but the film also beautifully explores the transformation of the Joan Wilder character from lonely spinster to compassionate woman ready for romance. For my money, this is Turner's best performance and Michael Douglas has rarely been this sexy onscreen.

The Great Escape

A sixties classic that still holds up and something true buffs should take a look at...this story of a group of allied P.O.W.'s planning to escape a German prison camp thanks to an impressive cast, including Steve McQueen at his coolest, and a story where the white hats and the black hats are crystal clear...alliances are established immediately and they don't change and the ending could have you on your feet cheering if caught in the right mood.

Escape from New York

John Carpenter created a cult classic in this futuristic thriller about a prisoner named Snake Plissken (greatest character name EVER) who has been hand-picked for the mission of rescuing the President of the United States (Donald Pleasance) who has been kidnapped, but with a very specific timeline. Carpenter has a great script and directs with just the right amount of tongue in cheek sensibility and Kurt Russell has never been this sexy and charismatic onscreen.

Speed

This film about a cop (Keanu Reeves) trying to stop a city bus that has been rigged to explode by a madman (Dennis Hopper) if it falls below 50 MPH, actually won 4 Oscars for technical achievements, but it's also a helluva story with Reeves a credible action hero, Sandra Bullock in a star-making performance as the reluctant bus driver and Hopper a memorably greasy villain.

Big reps for The Great Escape and Escape From New York! The scene in Great Escape with McQueen escaping on the motorcycle is epic!