Hollywood's Biggest Drunks That Had Talent

Tools    

Errol Flynn – apparently Basil Rathbone once found him on his front lawn.

I'm not sure whether Lee Marvin counts – he did once cleverly pretend to be drunk to discreetly give John Boorman extra time during Point Blank. Sounds like a great friendship they had.

Wasn’t it actually revealed that he hardly drank?
That would be terrible if true because his alcoholism's virtually set in stone.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I was shocked when I saw him recently in one of those round table interviews with actors such as Gary Oldman and Christopher Plummer – Plummer was obviously a fan of them both. Nolte had ballooned out a lot and was obviously in a bad way but he was really funny throughout.

Al Pacino.
Gary used to be but I think he;s been sober for a long time.
Shocking photos of Nick looking like a deranged homeless person. Poor guy .

And wow, I had no idea about Kristin Davis and Daniel Radcliffe.

Gary used to be but I think he;s been sober for a long time.
That's right yeah.

And wow, I had no idea about Kristin Davis and Daniel Radcliffe.
One I didn't know about was Stephen Moyer.

That would be terrible if true because his alcoholism's virtually set in stone.
I just read something by his daughter who said he drank apple juice on stage, was always home for dinner, and would have one cocktail with his wife each night before dinner. It seems being a booze hound might have just been his public persona. Certainly doesnt look like a bloated alcoholic in later years.

That's right yeah.

One I didn't know about was Stephen Moyer.
Holy hell I had absolutely no idea.

Wasnt Drew Barrymore also an alcoholic when she was a child actress?

I just read something by his daughter who said he drank apple juice on stage, was always home for dinner, and would have one cocktail with his wife each night before dinner. It seems being a booze hound might have just been his public persona. Certainly doesnt look like a bloated alcoholic in later years.
The sound of his voice might have had something to do with it even, that looseness he had.

Holy hell I had absolutely no idea.
I know I was shocked.

Wasnt Drew Barrymore also an alcoholic when she was a child actress?
Yeah, it rings a bell.

The sound of his voice might have had something to do with it even, that looseness he had.
Yeah his eyes in later years were always a bit watery and reddish as well.

I believe so. Although he did drink - he was not the alcoholic he often comically portrayed. So I guess he can be withdrawn.

Similarly, with Foster Brooks - his drunk character was based on his real life struggles with alcohol, but which he overcame - so he also hardly drank when he was playing a drunk on stage or screen.

I believe so. Although he did drink - he was not the alcoholic he often comically portrayed. So I guess he can be withdrawn.
I'm just thinking of the classic Two Ronnies Mastermind sketch with the contestant answering questions out of sequence. The question

"Who is Dean Martin?"

gets the response:

"He's a kind of artist"
"Yes?"
"Pass"
"That's close enough".

Johnny Depp, although he seems to have cleaned his act up after ditching the dog smuggler.

I'm glad someone brought that up...I always thought Dean's drinking was more of a career persona than his being an actual alcoholic...this guy had an amazing film career and did a weekly variety for show for like nine seasons and there's no way he would work so consistently in the business if he were an actual alcoholic.

Anthony Hopkins, although I think he'd got past the problem early into his time in the States.

Gary Oldman.
Oldman's intensity onscreen makes it really hard to imagine him being an alcoholic.

This might just do nobody any good.
Oldman's intensity onscreen makes it really hard to imagine him being an alcoholic.
He’s admitted to it. Drunk Gary must be terrifying.