Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground

Isn't that what the Angie skeleton looks like nowadays, when she's yelling?

Director: Rachel Talalay
Cast: Lori Petty, Naomi Watts, Malcolm McDowell
Genre: Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi

"In 2033, justice rides a tank and wears lip gloss."

1995's cyber punk, post apocalyptic sci-fi action comedy, Tank Girl (whoo, that's a mouth full) is based off the British cult comic strip of the same name. The anti-hero, sex crazed, no holds barred, uber feminist Tank Girl lives in a despite world destroyed by a comet when she was just a wee lass. Now water is non-existent and what little there is, is controlled by the evil Water & Power corporation. Accompanied by her trusty tank and her gal pal Jet Girl, together they fight to gain their freedom while rescuing Tank Girl's little sister, Mini Tank
(nah just kidding)....All of this is set to one of the 1990's best music soundtracks to ever score a movie. With everyone from Bjork to Hole to Bush to Devo and on and on contributing to the score. The original songs are well, original, just like this movie. You ain't going to find another movie quite like Tank Girl!

Sure, the plot is silly beyond belief. In fact I wouldn't even suggest you watch it, if you don't know how to kick back and enjoy a crazy-fun movie...cause that's what you got here....And thanks to Lori Petty who plays a hedonistic, wild woman, who loves pain as much as she loves her tank, this film is a riot. Lori Petty is a one of a kind, she's wacky, she nuts...she must have been hit in the head one too many times! And she alone makes this movie worth watching. But wait there's more....

Malcom McDowell does his really cool, and really evil impression as the head bossman of Water & Power. Did Malcom ever give a dull performances? I think not.

Just for fun there's some animal-morphic characters called Rippas. Who are genetically modified soldiers crossed with Kangaroos. I kid you not. They very interesting, you'll just have to watch to see.

Fun Trivia:

Iggy Pop gives a cameo appearance as Rat Face.

Tank Girl wears a total of 18 different outfits with matching hairstyles in the film.

Before filming started both Steven Spielberg and James Cameron had showed interesting in making this movie.

Fun Rating
++

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	27435   Click image for larger version

Name:	160723112749LzvQ1.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	27436   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_s.gif
Views:	653
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	27437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Malcolm.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	27438   Click image for larger version

Name:	lori-petty-tank-girl-movies-195024598.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	27467  

I actually saw Tank Girl in the theater! Never read the comic, but it's a fun movie. Not epically great, but fun... so good rating.
It was my first introduction to Naomi Watts who I found very attractive as "Jet."

I actually saw Tank Girl in the theater! Never read the comic, but it's a fun movie. Not epically great, but fun... so good rating.
It was my first introduction to Naomi Watts who I found very attractive as "Jet."
Early Jet of latter Jet? Latter she looses the glasses and gets a make over and looks pretty good.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Tank Girl IS a all kinds of fun. Lori Petty delivers some very hilarious lines.
WARNING: "And for an extra surprise:" spoilers below
One of the Rippas is ICE T!!

Some great reviews.
Fully agree on Full Metal being two separate films with the beginning outweighing the second.
Saw Platoon in the theater as well with some friends - no making out but a little light petting during the "smoking" scene.

Don't know why, but reading this review surprised me, because Tank Girl just doesn't seem like your kind of movie, Citizen. I've never seen it, but I loved Lori Petty in A League of their Own and, along with your review, I may have to add it to my watchlist.

Don't know why, but reading this review surprised me, because Tank Girl just doesn't seem like your kind of movie, Citizen. I've never seen it, but I loved Lori Petty in A League of their Own and, along with your review, I may have to add it to my watchlist.
Lori Petty was great in A League of Their Own. My favorite thing that I've seen her in was an episode ofStar Trek Voyager, Gravity

Rules, hope you don't mind if I use your thread for a little review.

I couldn't help thinking of you while viewing this older movie after our discussions of Full Metal Jacket and your review of older, female-centric movies like Caged (1950) - which has a couple actresses that appeared in this film as well:

Keep Your Powder Dry (1945) - about a diverse group of women who join the WACs (Women's Army Corps) for different reasons during WWII. It follows the main characters from their first days of basic training into their military careers.

This poster is deceiving as we mostly see the women in army uniforms and military settings.

It contains some themes that would be revisited in such later films as Private Benjamin (1980) & Stripes (1981).

My one criticism of the film is it deviates somewhat from the more lighthearted group dynamic of the earlier part to (IMO) a bit of melodrama in the latter part, focusing on the bitter rivalry of the two main characters:
One; a by-the-book army brat who has aspirations to become an officer (Laraine Day) and the other; a beautiful, hard-partying society girl and magazine model who joins the WACs as a means to access an inheritance (Lana Turner). And there's also their mutual friend (Susan Peters) who is forced to act as a go-between between the two rivals.
One interesting scene - in the beginning we see a couple cuddling in bed together - I always thought that at this time Hollywood would not show couples in bed together. But as the camera pans out, the couple are still in a romantic embrace, but sitting on the edge of the bed with their feet on the floor!

What got me about this film was seeing young versions of actresses (playing secondary characters) whose appearances reads like a who's-who list of, what would one day become, well-known 1960's TV personalities:

Agnes Moorehead (Endora from Bewitched)
June Lockhart (the mother from Lassie and Lost in Space)
Natalie Schafer (Lovey Howell from Giligan's Island)
Marie Blake (Grandmama from the Addams Family)

....I couldn't help thinking of you while viewing this older movie after our discussions of Full Metal Jacket and your review of older, female-centric movies like Caged (1950)
I do gravitate towards movies that are female-centric. Often they have a more deeper story, but not always.

Keep Your Powder Dry (1945) - about a diverse group of women who join the WACs (Women's Army Corps) for different reasons during WWII. It follows the main characters from their first days of basic training into their military careers.
Thanks for posting that! I have never heard of it, but it sounds like a fun movie, so onto my watch list it goes.

This poster is deceiving as we mostly see the women in army uniforms and military settings.
Figures....get it

One interesting scene - in the beginning we see a couple cuddling in bed together - I always thought that at this time Hollywood would not show couples in bed together. But as the camera pans out, the couple are still in a romantic embrace, but sitting on the edge of the bed with their feet on the floor!
Yup, one foot on the floor was the rule.

What got me about this film was seeing young versions of actresses (playing secondary characters) whose appearances reads like a who's-who list of, what would one day become, well-known 1960's TV personalities:

Agnes Moorehead (Endora from Bewitched)
June Lockhart (the mother from Lassie and Lost in Space)
Natalie Schafer (Lovey Howell from Giligan's Island)
Marie Blake (Grandmama from the Addams Family)
Very cool, I always like seeing these actors/actresses back before they were famous. So was Natalie Schafer character anything like Mrs Howell? The one old movie I seen her in, she was like a younger and smarter Mrs Howell (still snobbish and well to do)

Very cool, I always like seeing these actors/actresses back before they were famous. So was Natalie Schafer character anything like Mrs Howell? The one old movie I seen her in, she was like a younger and smarter Mrs Howell (still snobbish and well to do)
LOL! Actually yes! In this too you could see her as a younger version of Mrs. Howell (she plays Lana Turner's best friend before Lana joins the military - a fellow hard-partying society girl).

Regarding the bed scene - we learn that one of the recruits is married (her husband is in the army so she joins the WACs while he is deployed) - it's very clear that the couple is supposed to be in bed together and they appear in the initial shot to be fully reclined with the woman laying on top of the man, in his arms (and I believe in reality they were). It's so funny that in the finishing shot as the camera pulls out, they've been ever-so-slightly repositioned so that they are no longer horizontal with the woman on top of the man, but both sitting upright in the same position with their feet on the floor - looking extremely awkward after they'd just apparently been so relaxed laying on top of each other in bed! It cracked me up that they HAD to have that second camera shot to meet the regulations... especially when we find out the couple is married.

t cracked me up that they HAD to have that second camera shot to meet the regulations... especially when we find out the couple is married.
That's cause, all married people in the 1940's had their babies delivered by the stork

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
They HAD to have the storks deliver babies, they sure as hell weren't making any with separate beds and even separate bedrooms during that time.

Keep Your Powder Dry DOES look like a fun watch, especially to see a young Mrs Howell, Endora AND grandma.
Didn't mention Lockhart since I have seen her before - can't remember where, but I have. Never, ever seen the other ladies so that in its self is a serious winning point for me

They HAD to have the storks deliver babies, they sure as hell weren't making any with separate beds and even separate bedrooms during that time.

Keep Your Powder Dry DOES look like a fun watch, especially to see a young Mrs Howell, Endora AND grandma.
Didn't mention Lockhart since I have seen her before - can't remember where, but I have. Never, ever seen the other ladies so that in its self is a serious winning point for me
I only saw Gradnma Addams in the cast list, but didn't catch her in the movie - she's obviously younger in '45 and I think only had a tiny part.

June Lockhart was Maureen Robinson on Lost in Space - she was also on Lassie, Petticoat Junction and had a movie career when younger. In this film she's one of the young recruits in the platoon.

Endora (Agnes Moorehead) plays one of the base officers (of course - she's always in charge)!

I was also unfamiliar with the rest of the cast - but you may know Lana Turner once you see her - she's one of the blond bombshell pin up girls that graced the insides of many a G.I.'s locker. She's quite hot and well cast as a model.

Armed and Dangerous (1986)

Director: Mark L. Lester
Cast: John Candy, Meg Ryan, Eugene Levy
Genre: Action, Comedy

About: John Candy is a good cop who gets framed for a botched robbery, which in turn gets him fired from the police force. He's then takes a job as a security guard where he meets up with a bumbling ex lawyer, Eugene Levy. Together they partner to bust a corrupt union headed by criminals.

Review: The 80's were a great time for fun movie!...and nobody was more fun than John Candy! 1986's Armed and Dangerous is a fun mix of action and comedy, taking its cue from the buddy cop films that were so popular in the 80's. Like a time machine, this movie oozes the 80's: from it's electronic synthesizer music score, to the aerobics gym workout scene and of course all those crazy 80's fashions. You got love it.

Unlike some of John Candy's other films, here he shares screen time with Eugene Levy and Levy gets lots of the laughs....And as this is a buddy cop flick, with lots of fun action, we get some spectacular car chases and explosions...including a semi truck that John Candy commandeers during a traffic jamb...the semi is used as a battering ram to knock the cars off the road, it's pretty darn funny!

Meg Ryan was at the start of her career here, and is cute as a button. She's the nice and naive daughter of a crooked man. Original the side kick role of Norman (Eugene Levy) was to be played by Tom Hanks, which would have given us yet another romantic movie pairing of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Armed and Dangerous.jpg
Views:	840
Size:	326.4 KB
ID:	27459   Click image for larger version

Name:	bb.jpg
Views:	1501
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	27461   Click image for larger version

Name:	john-candy-armed-89.jpg
Views:	1498
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	27466  

Armed and Dangerous (1986)

[font=Arial Narrow]Director: Mark L. Lester
Cast: John Candy, Meg Ryan, Eugene Levy
Genre: Action, Comedy
I haven't seen this movie in about 100 years, I may have to give it a re-watch.