Movie Tab II

Tools    

The Shape of Water. I really liked it. A well-told story that looks amazing. Rating: A.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. This movie is just a mess. Nothing makes any sense in this movie. No one acts like real people, nothing happens in any way that resembles how the world functions, and the mix of over-the-top outrageous humor clashes with the all of the very serious issues going on in this movie. It feels insulting. Murder and rape, domestic violence, racism, police brutality all seems trivialized by extremely poor humor. It does not work for me at all. I would say I hated it, but it does offer some great performances. It's just too bad I disliked all the characters. Rating: C-

Welcome to the human race...
Night Moves (Kelly Reichardt, 2013) -

Finally got around to watching a Reichardt film and I'm definitely impressed enough to want to check out more. A nice and low-key tale of environmental concerns gone wrong.

Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987) -

I put this in a Top 100 a few years back but now I don't think it's quite at that level (top 1,000 maybe). Still an enjoyable watch in many ways - the '80s/vampire/Western aesthetic, the Aliens alumni doing some of their best work, the lean and mean pacing - but each viewing makes it just a little bit harder to overlook the flaws.

Rio Grande (John Ford, 1950) -

This Reconstruction-era tale of the family drama that unfolds between a veteran cavalryman, his rookie son, and his estranged wife isn't bad or anything, but it's not quite up to the standard set by the other Ford/Wayne collaborations I've seen. Has a remarkable amount of songs in it.

Icarus (Bryan Fogel, 2017) -

Reminds me of 2016's Tickled a bit in that it's an investigative documentary that starts on a simple and relatively light-hearted note before taking a sharp turn into darker territory with the reveal of a disturbing conspiracy. Otherwise, nothing too special about this one.

The Square (Ruben Östlund, 2017) -

I kind of want to treat this as the Palme d'Or equivalent of Birdman in how it functions as an effective-up-to-a-point satire of art and its place within the broader context of life itself, especially when it comes to reflecting or even influencing people's senses of morality (or just superiority).

Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994) -

A very good reminder that I haven't checked out nearly as much of Lee's filmography as I should have. An unassuming (but artfully shot) dramedy about a widowed chef and his three adult daughters had my attention from start to finish in a way that I honestly did not anticipate - not even sure I have a favourite Lee (maybe Crouching Tiger?) but this would have to be up there.

Ready Player One (Steven Spielberg, 2018) -

Felt very ambivalent about this one. I want to treat its as Spielberg re-examining his life's work and what it's meant to not just the world but to himself, but I wonder if there's really that much more to this aggressively high-concept blockbuster that seems like it should very much be in my wheelhouse but can't help but suffer for a number of reasons.

Back to the Future Part III (Robert Zemeckis, 1990) -

I think it is pretty telling that I didn't get around to re-watching this along with the first two parts back in 2015 because it really does feel like the weakest of the three (albeit in some instances it has the advantage over II). At least the technical side of things holds up well enough and the Western setting still has a certain novelty (plus Mary Steenburgen puts in good work), but otherwise it very much feels like it's running on fumes.

The Color Wheel (Alex Ross Perry, 2011) -

A brief monochromatic indie about an obnoxious brother-sister pair who are forced to take a road trip together that isn't too bad as far as movies about intolerable people interacting with even more intolerable people go (I'd take this over Kicking and Screaming, for instance) but it's still quite the endurance test.

Army of Shadows (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1969) -

Haven't watched a Melville since Le Samourai and that was ages ago, which is a pity because that makes it easy to forget how good his stuff can be. That's certainly true of this fictionalised tale of the French Resistance that's sharp, deliberate, and always engaging.

April (pt i):

+
10 Cloverfield Lane (Dan Trachtenberg, 2016)
Jag är Ingrid [Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words] (Stig Björkman, 2015)
Song Of Granite (Pat Collins, 2017)

Deux jours, une nuit [Two Days, One Night] (Jean-Pierre Dardenne & Luc Dardenne, 2014)
Elser aka 13 Minutes (Oliver Hirschbiegel, 2015)
It's Not Yet Dark (Frankie Fenton, 2016)
Selma (Ava DuVernay, 2014)

+
Bastille Day aka The Take (James Watkins, 2016)
Billy Fury: The Sound Of Fury (Alan Byron, 2015)
Lycanthropus [aka Werewolf In A Girl's Dormitory] US vsn (Paolo Heusch, 1961)
The Flying Deuces (A. Edward Sutherland, 1939)

Girls About Town (George Cukor, 1931)
Hebi no michi [Serpent's Path] (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1998)
Kisses (Lance Daly, 2008)

+
A Shriek In The Night (Albert Ray, 1933)

Kumo no hitomi [Eyes Of The Spider] (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 1998)
Say It In French (Andrew L. Stone, 1938)
Streamline Express (Leonard Fields, 1935)

+
Her Mad Night aka Held For Murder (E. Mason Hopper, 1932)
Indiscreet (Leo McCarey, 1931)
The Silent Child (Chris Overton, 2017)
Vantage Point (Pete Travis, 2008)

Sensation Hunters (Charles Vidor, 1933)

+
Bill Cracks Down (William Nigh, 1937)
Morals For Women aka Big City Interlude (Mort Blumenstock, 1931)

Like Minds (Gregory Read, 2006)
The Phantom (Alan James, 1931)

Don’t Draft Me, I Watch Anime!
Ingrid Goes West (Spicer, 2017)
. What do you call a black comedy that just isn’t funny? What do you call a drama where characters actions don’t have any consequences?

The Warriors (Hill, 1979)
a classic I love to revisit.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Husbands

Ah, Cassavetes.

Beauty Day

Before Jackass, there was Ralph Zavadil aka Cap'n Video from St. Catharines, Ontario. He would perform not very well thought out stunts broadcast on the local cable access channel.

Yep, that's all good fun when your the only one getting hurt, but his reckless behavior involves other people and animals.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Femmes, femmes (1974) -

My first Vecchiali. It starts from a hip credits sequence during which numerous pictures of actresses are shown. Then the film itself starts, and, well, it's like a sitcom. But with deliberate artistic choices (shot in black and white, occassional long takes, musical numbers) that elevate it. The film is set in a comedic tone, but the underlying themes are dark and serious. Ultimately it turns out to be a female buddy film.

Sem Essa, Aranha (1970) -

My first Sganzerla, and what a showcase of unadulterated, controversial, underground, edgy, avant-garde, anti-establishment filmmaking. Shot entirely with a hand-held camera, on a shoestring budget, with no straightforward narrative structure, it openly criticizes the Brazillian government that imposed dictatorship. It's openly subversive (Communist?) too as the bourgeoisie is criticized harshly, and the condition of the poor is one of the main themes.

Kristove Roky (1967) -

Jakubisko's debut feature, and a disappointment in a way. The black and white cinematography is pretty good (I especially like the whiteness of the mise en scene), but his trademark style, and the atmosphere of all his later films is missing. Still worth it for that cute Slovak girl, and that 8 1/2 reference was kewl.

Following the Sun (1961) -

A Soviet film from Moldavia about a young boy taking a trip through the city in order to follow the sun (he believes that if you follow the sun you can go around Earth and come back where you came from). Along his way he meets many people and experiences many events. It's nice to see things that are quite incomprehensible for him, but obvious for the viewer (as long as the viewer is an adult). The colour cinematography is rad, too, especially when he uses a piece of colored glass and observes the world through it, which manifests itself in eye-candy sequences.

Anna (1967) -

A solid Karinasploitation film. The first color film aired on French TV. A colorful musical with music of Serge Gainsbourg. Sadly it doesn't have the same beauty Jacques Demy's musicals have. It doesn't have the same striking color Coutard cinematography Godard films have. However, it has Anna Karina sporting many different costumes and being cute as always. Recommended for @Swan, Karina's secret lover.

On Dangerous Ground (1951) -

Nicholas Ray's best! What a lyrical beauty of a film! It starts like a rather standard film noir, but later on the asphalt jungle is replaced by open skies, rain by snow. Loved the ambiguity of the characters. Ida Lupino gives a tremendous performance as well!

The Lair of the White Worm (1988) -

Ken Russell... you kinky bastard! I tried counting the number of fetishes portrayed here, but lost count and set out to just enjoy the hell out of it. And I did. It's like Russell's Gothic mixed with his Altered States with a tiny bit of Devils during nightmare sequences. And it was so much FUN.

New Old (1979) -

Not his best, and a little bit overlong, but still so much FUN and eye-candy!

Diary (1983) -

A 5 and a half hours long home camera recordings with director's commentary is so much more interesting than it seems.

Pépé le Moko (1937) -

A wonderfully shot Poetic Realism film, but I wasn't a fan of the story nor Gabin's character.

He Stands in a Desert Counting the Seconds of His Life (1986) -

Another Mekas. Another 2.5 hours of his home movies shot on the invincible Super 8. Beautiful, but not beautiful ENOUGH.

Paisan (1946) -

NOBODY directs death better than Italian Neorealists. I guess since they just had to cope with it on everyday basis, they naturally acquired a natural talent in recreating it. It took me way too long to finally complete Rossellini's War Trilogy, but oh well... Onto his Bergman Trilogy now!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

“I was cured, all right!”
Sem Essa, Aranha (1970) -

My first Sganzerla, and what a showcase of unadulterated, controversial, underground, edgy, avant-garde, anti-establishment filmmaking. Shot entirely with a hand-held camera, on a shoestring budget, with no straightforward narrative structure, it openly criticizes the Brazillian government that imposed dictatorship. It's openly subversive (Communist?) too as the bourgeoisie is criticized harshly, and the condition of the poor is one of the main themes.
You got it right!

Mary Magdalene (Garth Davis, 2018) -

The idea of a film that attempted to fill in the gaps on the eponymous Biblical figure is a promising one, but the resulting film is a serious disappointment that leans more towards ponderous pauses than poignantly slow meditations and barely delivers anything of worth despite featuring some capable performers.

Alice (Jan Švankmajer, 1988) -

As far as creepy Eastern European stop-motion animated films based on classic fantasy tales go, this isn't quite on the same level as Krysař. That being said, it's still got enough sheer weirdness packed into its brief running time to make for a good watch anyway.

Female Trouble (John Waters, 1974) -

I'm still inclined to think of this as a lesser Pink Flamingos, but at least now the margin between the two is much smaller than it was before.

Desperate Living (John Waters, 1977) -

More '70s Waters trashiness, this time expanding the scope just a little more to indulge some weirdly feudalistic tale of the hierarchical warfare that can unfold even on the absolute fringes of society. If I'm not careful, he could end up becoming one of my favourite filmmakers.

Night and Fog (Alain Resnais, 1956) -

Second time viewing this makes me wonder exactly how much one needs to or even can re-watch a film like this, but there's no denying its power even on a re-watch. Very much essential viewing.

Distant Sky (David Barnard, 2018) -

Even though I already saw this particular type of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds concert early last year, seeing it rendered through some relatively sharp digital photography against the push and pull of an eager Danish crowd was enough to put me right back into the thick of that experience. Obviously one for the fans who would tolerate its lengthy running time, though I'm sure even casual viewers could get at least something out of its more cathartic numbers.

Shivers (David Cronenberg, 1975) -

Obviously not the best Cronenberg film due to its generally rough approach to themes and subjects that he would cover much better in subsequent films, but I reckon it holds up remarkably well.

The School of Rock (Richard Linklater, 2003) -

I'm inclined to think that this is a little better than I originally thought, though of course the film's heavily-professed mission of Sticking It To The Man through the majesty of good old-fashioned rock-'n'-roll naturally rings a little hollow within the context of a family-friendly Hollywood movie (though there is something to be said for the rather inclusive ways in which it treats its rather basic message). Having Linklater on board certainly goes a long way towards making this worthwhile.

Frankenstein (James Whale, 1931) -

Boy, did this one live up to expectations. While it would be easy enough to chide this for its simplistic rendition of the original text, more credit must be given for how it's able to pack in so much - remarkable-for-its-time cinematography, genuinely unsettling atmosphere, strong emotional payoffs - into such a lean running time. I'm definitely looking forward to watching Bride of Frankenstein at this rate.

Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010) -

This is actually the first Kiastorami I've watched and, while I'll admit it's not the ideal introduction, it's certainly an engaging introduction to his filmography that takes a nominally romanticised tale of an author and one of his readers going on a day trip in a picturesque corner of Italy and turns it into an examination of the authenticity of art, emotions, and relationships. I'll definitely have to check out more of his work now.

Mary Magdalene (Garth Davis, 2018) -

The idea of a film that attempted to fill in the gaps on the eponymous Biblical figure is a promising one, but the resulting film is a serious disappointment that leans more towards ponderous pauses than poignantly slow meditations and barely delivers anything of worth despite featuring some capable performers.
Even though I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna hate it, I'm kind of jealous that you've seen it. It doesn't seem to be playing anywhere around here. Guess I'll have to wait for the bluray.

Even though I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna hate it, I'm kind of jealous that you've seen it. It doesn't seem to be playing anywhere around here. Guess I'll have to wait for the bluray.
I figured you'd be interested purely on the basis of ol' whatisname, so I guess I will say that he has a real Dafoe-in-Last-Temptation vibe about him that is one of the film's few strengths. For what it's worth, I still don't know when/if I'm likely to get a chance to watch You Were Never Really Here.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
La La Land
I wonder if the a-holes who made this crap ever watched The Umbrellas of Cherbourg?

The Saragossa Manuscript

Get Out

I, Tonya

Peace Hotel

La Ceremonie

Turtles Can Fly

The Square

I, Daniel Blake

Frankenstein (James Whale, 1931) -

I'm definitely looking forward to watching Bride of Frankenstein at this rate.
Be prepared for less gothic atmo, more comic relief, and a greater sense of code-era Hollywood. It's still really fun though.

Meteora (2012) -

Solid slow cinema on the fight between human desire and contrived concepts of religion that ultimately turns into a fight with oneself. The film mixes live action with animation made to resemble Orthodox icons. I thought the long, static take on the grass, the centerpoint of the film, was handled very well.

Sicily! (1999) -

I appreciate Straub & Huillet's vision and artistry in how they block a scene, in how they instruct actors in declamation, and such, but I'm not big on their themes, and their films feel pretty cold and just too contrived for their own good.

Bang Bang (1971) -

People seem to overrate the hell out of it on Letterboxd. It's not a masterpiece, but it's certainly a film of many qualities. It's funny (the monkey mask), it's weird (the three freaks), it's skillfully done (the bar conversation scene). Hard not to see the influence Godard had on the director, not to mention he claims it's a Maoist film.

Bathory: Countess of Blood (2008) -

My first real disappointment with Jakubisko! For a film clocking at 140 minutes, there are maybe 5 minutes of pure Jakubisko here. The rest is sadly a typical film of its kind - something you'd expect from a TV station like Zone Romantica, or something. A shoutout to @MovieGal, though.

Dead Reckoning (1947) -

Pure film noir! All conventions and tropes of the genre are here! What a fierce femme fatale! What a badass, love-struck Bogie! Such ambiguity and dark romanticism!

City Streets (1931) -

An art gangster film! Such a powerful pre-code gem! It already uses sound, alright, but it doesn't stop the director from incorporating some silent cinema techniques, and a little bit of experimental approach. At first I thought it's going to be a Lonesome kind of film, then a Sunrise kind of film, but then it turned out to be a gangster film that really is an art melodrama at heart. Also, what a powerful ending with the three gangsters just casually walking away - this gave me the same feeling that "three men standing, looking at a baby" scene in Stagecoach gave me. I enjoyed the film's visuals much more than the visuals of Dead Reckoning, the latter being much more typical. This film's cinematography freakin' rocks! WOOH!

La Terra Trema (1948) -

At last I watched the only major Visconti I still hadn't seen. Also, a milestone Italian Neorealism picture. I believe that with this film Visconti made something I like to call "Aesthetic Neorealism". It's got all traits of Neorealism, along with its simplicity and asceticism, but at the same time its so visually pleasing, the framing is almost too beautiful to be true. A take away from an otherwise documentary-like quality of the film, but at the same time a great merit of the film too.

M/Other (1999) -

Some critic said that in the 70s films somehow stopped talking about life and started talking about other films, but he clearly never saw M/Other that is LIFE ITSELF (then again, cinema is life itself too, and maybe he actually saw the film, how do I get out of this sentence?). It always astounds me how as far as contemporary cinema goes, it is Japanese movies that get life closest to how it is. Happy Hour is a prime example, and also one of my favourites of all-time. This film is a pretty darn good one too. One of the director's - Nobuhiro Suwa's - greatest strengths, apart from expert framing and incredibly realistic portrayals of relationships, is the use of silence in people's conversations. I watched the film and thought - "that's how it is in real life - he got it right". Ever too often do we see people in movies discussing their relationship, or problems they are facing and simply flooding each other with words, but in reality, when striken, when hurt, we often spend a lot of time in silence. These long pauses are what make many scenes even more powerful too. The story is simple - perhaps something Koreeda could make as well - but Suwa's inventive technique and approach to filmmaking elevate the story to eleven. A pretty tremendous film and, I believe, one that watched at different stages of your life (also depending on your life experience) will be perceived differently (just like Tokyo Story, or something). Not a work of art, but a work of life.

Timeless Bottomless Bad Movie (1997) -

For such a "bad movie" that was pretty great, better than some widely-acclaimed "classics", but my flamboyant contrarianism aside, one discovers 'bad' has many meanings. The film depicts the so called 'difficult youth' - runaways, punks, thieves, hooligans, and juxtaposes the footage of their actions to some footage of the homeless of Seoul. The hand-held camerawork is hypnotizing enough, and the director films his subjects' actions without judging. It's also amongst the most real docudramas I've ever seen. Oftentimes it's so hard to distinguish what is real and what is not. The hip titles at the beginning of the film might make a misleading impression on the viewer, that film is 100% truth, but it's a trickery - "no fixed actors" means no professional actors, not no actors at all, or that nothing is acted. Somebody said the film is "Harmony Korean", and that's quite spot on as controversy is a key element of both this film and, say, Gummo, and also the social problems are similar in both. I found the gang rape scene pretty disturbing, mainly because it was so plain, and also because the cameragirl was pretty shocked by it. Then she confronted one of the rapists and he beat her up. This looked so real I'm no longer sure if it was real, or not.

Gushing Prayer: A 15-Year-Old Protitute (1971) -

After three 150 minutes long films that day I felt like watching something shorter. Well, this pinku eiga film definitely had all traits of a Wakamatsu film (after all Adachi wrote some of his screenplays), but at the same time was much more radical in its political themes. Above all, however, I found it incredibly depressing, as the main theme, besides Marxist rhethorics, is basically suicide. The film is quite provocative and edgy, you know, even the title is. A prostitute 15 years old girl, and a juxtaposition of sex (gushing) and religion (prayer). The director had many problems with Japanese censorship, so he said freak it, I'm from Japanese Red Army (basically a Marxist-Leninist terrorist group), I'm going to Lebanon. What a controversial figure, for sure. I have to watch more of his films now.

Husbands (1977) -

One of the funniest comedies I've ever seen. Cassavetes' top 4! I mean, I liked the New York part, but the London part! Oh my God, the London part! That freakin' old lady in the casino. This had me laughing out loud. Or that rape - the funniest rape ever filmed! Or Falk and that Chinese girl. Truly, this is cinema verite. THIS IS LIFE!

Boy (1969) -

Yet another Oshima and yet another brilliant piece of filmmaking. A rather tame (for the director) depiction of a real-story on a dysfunctional family that lives from car accident frauds. The director manages to build up sympathy and empathy for the boy pretty quickly, and before you know it, it all explodes in a couple of final scenes. But even before this, every incoming car has a life-threatening aura around it. Might be a 4.5 film.

The Seed of Man (1969) -

Director's worst so far. A solid yet underwhelming hip 60s post-apocalyptic film with Wiazemsky and Werckmeister Harmonies-core whale.

Seen in April Pt.2

I was very afraid that this would be one of those films that portrays black people as completely perfect and white people as Satan, thankfully it didn’t turn out that way. It has a very similar premise and style to La Haine. There’s lots of good tension. The film’s very funny aswell (Man, your Jordan’s are f*cked UP!). I really liked the atmosphere of a boring, hot closed off area where everyone knows your name. I absolutely loved the moral quandary the film raises at the end.

-
The characters are very interesting, they get you engaged and you really care about them. The cinematography is brilliant. The film’s pretty creepy and scary, especially in the last 5 minutes. The editing, loud noises and lack of music contributed to it. I loved how the film kept itself completely ambiguous, and didn’t bash us over the head with a certain answer (Something not even The Shining got right); It was cool how there were a few odd moments at the start of the film that could influence someone’s view of the film. The fact that certain questions are left unanswered makes the film even creepier.

+
The first half of this film is a little weird; The film seems more concerned with portraying a family get-together than actually developing the characters and the soundtrack is kinda artsy fartsy. Fortunately the film gets much better as it goes on and the soundtrack becomes brilliant. The film becomes a total emotional roller-coaster. Everyone in the film acts like an actual family members, giving us some of the most realistic performances of all time. The film uses some VERY effective slow zooms to increase the emotion and the changing aspect ratios was cool too.

ALSO THAT ENDING TOTALLY F*CKING DESTROYED ME OMG!

This film is pure cheese, and it’s awesome. It’s very funny in that cheesy sort of way with lot’s of terrible puns. Price gives a great performance. I quite enjoy Shakespeare so that influenced my liking of the film. And damn those death scenes are BRUTAL, watch out Saw!

[REWATCH]
-
Haven’t seen this in ages, but I’m very glad I saw it again. Just utter hilarity. When you got Hardy’s screams of pain, the slapstick violence and the noisy piano it’s impossible not to laugh. The only thing that could make this better is if Laurel had one of his signature crying scenes.

It was exactly what I expected it to be: Not a movie, but an experience. This is an adventure film that gives off the sense of adventure in one of the best ways I’ve ever seen. This is helped by its brilliant score, emotional moments and visuals. It almost feels spiritual in a way. Some of the characters make REALLY stupid decisions though.

[REWATCH]
(Hard to think of accurate rating, maybe: )
+
Haven’t seen this in years, it was time to revisit. Its been on my mind ever since I re-watched it, and the more I think about it, the better it becomes. Not as bed-wettingly scary as I thought it was, but it’s still pretty damn scary. What can I say that other hardcore fans of this film haven’t said before? Now firmly cemented as my favourite horror film.

[REWATCH]

Not nearly as good as I originally remember it, but still great. Probably because the greatness of watching Se7en for the first time is being in utter shock at the deaths, cringing at their descriptions and the extreme intensity of the last 25 minutes. That effect is lost on you on a re-watch. The descriptions of the deaths are still horrific though, the last 25 minutes are still brilliant and so is the soundtrack.

Very unique and intense. The dialogue is kinda cheesy and the ending is longer than Return of the King.

Has some very beautiful and realistic matte paintings. The characters are pretty interesting. Some of the imagery is very creepy or poetic. I loved the suspenseful scenes in the second half.

Not really an actual film but - Ash Vs. Evil Dead season 1

I don;t know. It's funny and campy but at the same time, the supporting cast kind of makes it boring and typical/routine. It also seems like they are pissing on the grave of Ecvil Dead II and at the same time digging up the first film for a kind of foggy narrative concerning the origin of sin on Ash's part. Season 2 seems to pick up a bit, but all in all, it's just slightly above completely average.

Lee Majors plays a good dad. I wanna meet that dad.

I'm happy Campbell called it quits finally. I have yet to finish season 2 and 3, but so far I can tell that it's gonna run its curse in a big way. Sam Raimi behind the camera is SORELY missed!

I'm too lazy to set out specific guild-lines.
I think @mark f shed a tear when he found out you rated Blair Witch Project higher than his favourite The Innocents.

A Quiet Place (John Krasinski, 2018) -

A passable enough high-concept horror that sets up a decent atmosphere across its first half but actually starts to lose traction once it heads into more direct moments of suspense and thrills.

Birdemic: Shock and Terror (James Nguyen, 2009) -

Second time around and I'm still not entirely sure how I want to rate this. It's horrendous by damn near every objective measure of quality (I think the best thing you can say about it is that it's environmentally conscious and even that is compromised by how didactically it is handled), but that's obviously not of major concern if you're using it as a source of unintentional hilarity - or is it? Even by such irony-soaked standards, movies like The Room or Troll 2 are still vaguely functional in a way that Birdemic doesn't quite manage to achieve and that is something I do have to count against the movie.

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) -

I'm currently undecided about what my favourite Lynch film is, but this is definitely one of the main candidates for the position. Depends on how the others hold up on re-watch, I suppose - this one certainly does.

The Untamed (Amat Escalante, 2016) -

An unsettling (if somewhat familiar) blend of alien horror and marital drama about a freaky sex alien and how it starts to wreak havoc on an already-dysfunctional family. It doesn't deviate too far from its obvious influences and only has so much to say, but it certainly doesn't lack for provocation.

Isle of Dogs (Wes Anderson, 2018) -

Haven't watched anything by Anderson in a while so I'm willing to consider the possibility that I'm being overly wowed by his style as a result, but even with that in mind this film does manage to tick a lot of my boxes and provide a new favourite for the year (questionable approach to Japanese culture notwithstanding, of course).

Hercules Returns (David Parker, 1992) -

A local comedy about film-loving underdogs who must salvage a screening of an old Italian movie by improvising their own comedic dialogue. The jokes vary quite wildly between the funny, the problematic, and the obnoxiously Australian.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (David Lynch, 1992) -

The staggering gulf in difference between this and the typical episode of the show's original run is a real double-edged sword that does make me rethink certain aspects of the show for better and for worse (but mostly for the better). Seeing as both times I watched it were following full viewings of the TV series, the real question is whether or not I'd ever bother to watch it outside of that particular context.

Breaking the Waves (Lars von Trier, 1996) -

Ehhh, I'm a little reluctant to give this too much credit because of how von Trier really ran the one-woman's-suffering plot into the ground across what feels like every single one of his movies but at least this one holds it together better than most (mainly due to Emily Watson really doing an amazing job with what could have been a really thankless role).

Rampage (Brad Peyton, 2018) -

I saw this mainly because of MovieBob sincerely calling it the best videogame movie ever made (low bar, I know, but he still gave it 3.5/4 so...) but honestly that just makes me think of how I'd gladly take so many of the messily ambitious videogame movies that have been made (hello Resident Evil) over something that plays like the kind of anonymous Dwayne Johnson solo vehicle I've otherwise done a fairly good job of avoiding.

Glitter (Vondie Curtis-Hall, 2001) -

As with so many of the so-called worst movies ever made, I do question exactly how much it deserves my personal seal of disapproval - on the one hand, there's nothing that's overly offensive about its existence beyond the standard popstar vapidity, but on the other hand there's nothing to actually like about it either.