1 pesky sciuridae, 504 leaps, an unknown number of fillums

Tools    

I very much have to be in the right frame of mind for it tbh or it annoys the flock out of me because I want it to be so much better than it actually is.
Sounds like you didn't watch the extended uncut version.

Sounds like you didn't watch the extended uncut version.
Correct - I only have the version that is missing a whole 3:21 in total, the cuts primarily concerning the level of brutality.

Correct - I only have the version that is missing a whole 3:21 in total, the cuts primarily concerning the level of brutality.
Boooo!

Didn't work - didn't scare me
Try it with a mask on next time

6th Jun:
145. The Big Heat (Fritz Lang - 1953, dvd)
+
Solid film-noir that has everything a film of that type needs and also contains some nice little touches (the leaves being blasted off the plant in the final shoot-out for instance) but never really quite manages to reach that next level for me.

146. The Hunt [Jagten] (Thomas Vinterberg - 2012, dvd)

Decent drama that deals with a nightmare scenario for a male without becoming overly melodramatic and is well enough acted in the main but I found the actions (or lack thereof) of the central character a little difficult to fully believe at times.

10th Jun:
147. House On Haunted Hill (William Castle - 1959, stream)
+
Horror that also plays as a mystery thriller and despite a little overacting in places and a plot that borrows a little here and there it builds a nice enough atmosphere and is good enough that time passes rather quickly and enjoyably.

148. A Bucket Of Blood (Roger Corman - 1959, stream)

Cult horror/satire that although somewhat predictable in story arc is both nicely paced and fun to watch with some lovely playful takes on beatnik culture in The Yellow Door and a very nice climactic chase.

149. Attack Of The Giant Leeches (Bernard L. Kowalski - 1959, stream)

Moderate creature feature that is a little too uneventful up until the final few minutes and could be picked at all day if one wanted to be petty .... but it's a b-movie so some of those imperfections are also a part of it's charm and other things like the characters uttering exposition toward the closing stages is a product of the period rather than the 'offence' it would be deemed by modern standards.

13th Jun:
150. The File On Thelma Jordan (Robert Siodmak - 1950, stream)
+
Decent film-noir that would rate a little higher were it not for the opening half hour or so where it contains moments of whimsy that just don't really work that well for me and the forced ending is just a touch too sappy for my taste.

151. The Man Who Cheated Himself (Felix E. Feist - 1950, stream)
+
The other end of 1950 and Californian law enforcement of the time is still embroiling itself in perverting the course of justice all for the sake of a piece of skirt - this time in a serviceable film-noir impaired a little by a score that just feels a little inapt at times but moreso by a rather lacklustre performance from the femme fatale and the quality of copy which sadly isn't great in places (the coffee shop scene with around a half hour to go being the most adversely affected). On the plus side the climactic location of Fort Point is perfect and the one short chase scene is quite nicely managed.

14th Jun:
152. Bela Lugosi Meets A Brooklyn Gorilla (aka The Boys From Brooklyn) (William Beaudine - 1952, stream)
+
Comedy vehicle for a double act that has neither the class of a Road To movie nor the zaniness of an Abbott & Costello. Probably doesn't help that I can't stand Jerry Lewis and Sammy Petrillo totally comes across as a Lewis wannabe.

153. Plan 9 From Outer Space (Edward D. Wood Jr. - 1959, stream)
/

Low budget sci-fi with a tinge of horror that certainly has low production values, primarily unspectacular effects, some wooden acting, a hokey script and a 'message' laid on marginally thicker than treacle but it's many faults mean the movie ends up playing like a parody of sci-fi b-movies in general and if one embraces that it's actually a reasonably entertaining effort.

154. Island Of Lost Women (Frank Tuttle - 1959, stream)
+
Adventure romance whose premise is hardly unfamiliar and events somewhat predictable but it's a decent enough watch imo and certainly easy enough on the eye .... just a shame there's no iconic robot in it

15th Jun:
155. The Admiral Was A Lady (Albert S. Rogell - 1950, stream)
+
Lighthearted comedy romance that is amusing in places with a few nice pieces of repartee but also falls a little flat here and there.

156. Behave Yourself (George Beck - 1951, stream)

Farcical crime comedy that intentionally employs caricatures for the supporting cast, one or two of whom are mildly amusing, and contains the odd moment along the way but as a whole relies on busy and brash rather than employing any subtlety meaning it really isn't to my taste.

157. Killers From Space (W. Lee Wilder - 1954, stream)

Sci-fi b-movie that manages to pique a little interest in the early stages before eventually revealing it's primary storyline - at which point it suffers from both some laughable alien beings, an overuse of green filter and an overly long sequence with stock footage. It does however swftly manage to regain interest and finally builds to a reasonably satisfying even if not particularly well executed climax.

16th Jun:
158. The Green Glove (Rudolph Maté- 1952, stream)

Crime thriller that requires a few leaps of faith, lead Glenn Ford's delivery is a little irritating at times and the decided change in tone at the guesthouse doesn't sit well but it's on location filming is meritorious whilst also lending a little credence and events do manage to maintain interest before building to a very well staged and exciting extended final confrontation.

159. The Flesh Merchant (aka The Wild And Wicked) (W. Merle Connell - 1956, stream)

Low-budget affair that doesn't have the most gifted cast nor great production values but does at least make a little effort with the script and whilst the lead certainly is a looker she unfortunately can't act very well which lends a little irony to this cautionary drama about the allure of Hollywood.

17th Jun:
160. Welcome To Woop Woop (Stephan Elliott - 1997, stream)

Satirical comedy drama that is both brash and vulgar and certainly won't be to everyone's taste but whilst a little overly childish in places still makes me smile at various points and is an entertaining enough watch overall.

161. Wicked Woman (Russell Rouse - 1953, stream)

Pretty decent lower-budget film noir that is quite tightly scripted and directed and even though a moment or two are presaged fairly heavily at no point did that detract from proceedings. The acting is pretty solid but it does have to be said the performance from leading lady Beverly Michaels is decidedly mixed, generally being far better when expressing lots of emotion and not so good when trying to 'smoulder' ... strangely enough that didn't particularly affect my enjoyment of things much beyond the first few minutes and I found I quite liked her in the role ... though obviously not as much as the director as he went on to marry her.

18th Jun:
162. The Fast And The Furious (John Ireland & Edward Sampson - 1955, stream)

Crime drama that's reasonable and competent in most regards but the leading lady's character fluctuated too much for my liking and whilst much of the racing scenes are ok it's annoying how quickly two supposedly evenly matched drivers can make up a deficit on the other when the screenplay has them need to and both Paul Walker and Vin Diesel were particularly anonymous in it.

163. I Am A Camera (Henry Cornelius - 1955, stream)

Comedy drama later reincarnated as the very well known musical Cabaret. More farcical in nature (too much so at one point imo) and eschewing much of the socio-political satire of that later reincarnation it also suffers from the sexual aspect unsurprisingly being suppressed leaving the relationship between the two primary characters feeling just a little strange. As with it's later, more famous, counterpart though this is a film firmly centred around the performance of it's leading lady and Julie Harris is a delight in reprising her stage role as Sally Bowles (and imo perhaps laying some of the groundwork for the character of Holly Golightly a few years later). The supporting cast are mainly decent and although the inclusion in it's musical cousin of aspects such as the nightclub and Joel Grey as the MC really help elevate that version to the heights this is for the most part a solid and entertaining watch too.

15 in a row I haven't seen!
Ooooh ... I don't know if that's good or bad though

19th Jun:
164. The Brain Eaters (Bruno VeSota - 1958, stream)

Low-budget sci-fi / horror with a script that is rather lazy in places, has low production values, includes some poor acting and isn't very original but it does what it can within those budget constraints and is watchable and even entertaining for those of us that enjoy or grew up with silly sci-fi capers made on a shoestring. Oh yeah and if Gbg happens to look in - it has Leonard Nimoy in it briefly too

165. The Sun Shines Bright (John Ford - 1953, stream)

Whimsical western that is very well made technically with some decent performances but the mix of storylines also leads to there being a couple of changes in tone that I don't think were managed particularly well, though it has to be said those are counterbalanced by the magnificence of the six-minutes plus funeral procession and on the whole there is far more to like than there is not to - even after taking into account the slightly overt preachiness with a major dose of saccharine and schmaltz in the closing stages and the grammatically poor title.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My Old Kentucky Home, Good-Night (1853)

Words & music by Stephen Collins Foster (1826-1864)

The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home,
'Tis summer, the darkies are gay,
The corn top's ripe and the meadows in the bloom,
While the birds make music all the day.
The young folks roll on the little cabin floor,
All merry, all happy and bright:
By'n by Hard Times comes a knocking at the door,
Then my old Kentucky Home, good night!

CHORUS
Weep no more, my lady,
Oh! weep no more to-day!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky Home,
For the old Kentucky Home far away.

They hunt no more for possum and the coon
On the meadow, the hill, and the shore,
They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,
On the bench by the old cabin door.
The day goes by like a shadow o're the heart,
With sorrow where all was delight:
The time has come when the darkies have to part,
Then my old Kentucky Home, good-night!

(CHORUS)

The head must bow and the back will have to bend,
Wherever the darkey may go:
A few more days, and the trouble all will end
In the field where the sugar-canes grow.
A few more days for to tote the weary load,
No matter, 'twill never be light,
A few more days till we totter on the road,
Then my old Kentucky Home, good-night!

(CHORUS)

Thanks for that Mark - wasn't conversant with the words and hence the film's title ... doesn't make things any more grammatically correct though

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
19th Jun:
164. The Brain Eaters (Bruno VeSota - 1958, stream)

Low-budget sci-fi / horror with a script that is rather lazy in places, has low production values, includes some poor acting and isn't very original but it does what it can within those budget constraints and is watchable and even entertaining for those of us that enjoy or grew up with silly sci-fi capers made on a shoestring. Oh yeah and if Gbg happens to look in - it has Leonard Nimoy in it briefly too

Thanks for the info about Nimoy, but this just doesn't sound like a movie that I'd like. If he starred in it, it might be worth giving it a chance, but since it's only a brief appearance in a 2 star, low budget, sci-fi/horror movie, it's probably not worth watching.

But if you find any old movies with DeForest Kelley in them, let me know. I haven't seen much of his early stuff, but I've liked the few early movies of his that I've seen.

But if you find any old movies with DeForest Kelley in them, let me know. I haven't seen much of his early stuff, but I've liked the few early movies of his that I've seen.
If I stumble across one I will be sure to mention it