Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Warrior

Fast becoming a fan of Hardy. Have yet to see him do badly.

Joel Edgerton is chalk and cheese for me but he rocked in this.

It's a bit contrived sequence-wise but the character writing is so simple it makes a bigger impact than it should due to it being very well executed when it comes to exposition.
The overall backstory of each character is also well done and makes more of a connection to the audience.

Couldn't help get on the edge of my seat as well a couple times... some of the scenes in the third act are heart-poundingly exciting.

+
I'd rate it 98% quite easily if I did a review on it. Worth a go.

. Not a fan of this one. I thought it was dreadfully boring, and the movie seems to have no point other than to glorify murder and extreme violence.If it was trying to be a dark comedy, it failed as I failed to laugh even once. I don't care about what happens to anybody on screen. If this was supposed to be some unflinching depiction of a serial killer, it failed in that regard as well. If you want a truly dark look at serial killers watch Henry:Portrait of a serial killer. If someone could enlighten me as to why they like this film, please enlighten me.
If the comedy didn't work for you, I can understand the score. For me, I think only This Is Spinal Tap beats it. Honestly, the film cracks me up time and time again. My favourite scene is when Benoit kills the lady by inducing a heart attack. He's so proud of himself.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
If I was to write a critique of Malick's films that's pretty much exactly what I would say

Overall Malick makes pretty decent films but quite simply I haven't cared about any of his characters since Badlands. The self indulgence is fine - most of my favourite filmmakers are self indulgent.

I just wish he'd match the stunning visuals with stories and characters that made an impression on me. This issue causes me to be ultimately disappointed with his films - I haven't seen one I didn't like but I haven't seen one I loved either.
I see where you're coming from and I wouldn't disagree with any of it. The difference, for me, is that I don't see Malick as much of a narrative filmmaker. With McQueen, he attempts (poorly) to give narrative justification for the images he wants to create (I think of how forced the conversation between Brandon and Sissy felt with the blurred B&W cartoon in the background, you can tell which scenes he actually cares about based on the length of the shots). McQueen doesn't want to be a narrative filmmaker but he doesn't know how not to be. While I'd make many cinematic justifications as to why he's a bad director (and I think there are many), the more real issue is that no other director outside of maybe von Trier takes as much pleasure in making his audience feel bad. Shame is not about the shame Brandon feels because of sexual addiction, it's about the shame we should all feel due to our cold, empty, modern lives. His outsider view of New York City life is uncompromisingly derogatory without any sort of justification or insight into the "issue." He offends me and I think takes pleasure in that.

The cinematic distinction I'd make between Malick (whose recent deconstruction of modern life seems much more level headed) is that he's a montage filmmaker. His images are more impressionistic than literal, they serve a different function and aren't meant to be real images.

The diving bell and the butterfly 8/10

The pianist 8,5/10

both really good

Finished here. It's been fun.

Movie kicks some serious ass. I absolutely loved it, what an experience.The movie is epic. The sets, costumes, visual effects, fight scenes,etc are top notch. The movie is visceral and intense, and the performances are outstanding. The story is rather simple but it's done so well, and it's done with such conviction. It's a 3 hour film basically and it never drags, it's never boring. It hooks you, and you are loving every frikkin' moment of it. Really wish they made more blockbusters like this rather than lame superhero films and remakes. I give the film a
. This is pure movie fun my friends.

Bad Grandpa - 8/10

Didn't think I'd like it since I'm not a huge fan of Jackass. But the story line as OK and there were a heap of funny parts in the movie.

I watched one of the good old good ones last night, Man With The Golden Arm with Frank Sinatra. Fantastic performance by Sinatra as a drug addict, and Eleanor Parker was great as his nutso wife. Also cool soundtrack music by Elmer Bernstein. A classic for sure.

Unregistered User

Repulsion (1965)

British Psychological horror with the gorgeous Catherine Deneuve. I preferred this to Rosemarys Baby and now looking forward to The Tenant. One of the best horror's ive seen in a long time. Brilliant.

9/10

Who's that Knocking at My Door 5/10

Somewhat interesting because it's Martin Scorsese's first film. You see his early signature style with the camerawork and use of popular music. For that it has some artistic value. But I'm afraid overall it's just not a very good movie. I think maybe if it was made by a no-name director, it would've disappeared from the face of the earth a long time ago. Worth watching for big Scorsese fans only, just to see how he got started.

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!

12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)

Absolute masterpiece.

Weapons(2007) 6/10

A story of teenage trash that's more depressing than entertaining. I think I like movies like this more than most people. Paul Dano is great at playing a creep.