Thomas P's Top 50

→ in
Tools    

1. Playtime (1967)

The wait, which was inadvertedly spoiled by member Tyler1 (HitchFan97 was close when he predicted Le Mépris) is over: my favourite movie of all time, the one which I return to the most and has never failed to disappoint, is Jacques Tati’s Playtime. The restored 65-millimeter version, which I managed to see (all the other viewings have been on DVD/Blu-Ray) has the most intricately designed mise-en-scene in all of cinema. Tati’s studio-constructed vision of Paris begins in daytime with nightmarishly regimented straight lines and right angles and proceeds to night with accidental yet celebratory curves of people instinctively coming together.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I saw the prediction and watched it yesterday being sure it's gonna be number one. The first part I found utterly bad. The jokes weren't funny, but it felt like Tati is trying so hard to make them be. Superb mise-en-scene was the only thing that kept me watching it. After a while the movie gets better. The party is very long, but by no means boring. Gags weren't laughable, but not forced either. I found the main character pretty dull and uninspiring, so probably that's why I prefered the latter scenes, where he doesn't appear for dozen of minutes. And while I was struggling at the beginning, the scenes after three thirds I found rather enjoyable. The best thing was the ending and preceding scenes. A gift for a charming lady was something that warmed my cold heart.

for masterful scenography and last scenes.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I saw the prediction and watched it yesterday being sure it's gonna be number one. The first part I found utterly bad. The jokes weren't funny, but it felt like Tati is trying so hard to make them be. Superb mise-en-scene was the only thing that kept me watching it. After a while the movie gets better. The party is very long, but by no means boring. Gags weren't laughable, but not forced either. I found the main character pretty dull and uninspiring, so probably that's why I prefered the latter scenes, where he doesn't appear for dozen of minutes. And while I was struggling at the beginning, the scenes after three thirds I found rather enjoyable. The best thing was the ending and preceding scenes. A gift for a charming lady was something that warmed my cold heart.

for masterful scenography and last scenes.

Ah, that'a a shame, especially considering you liked pretty much every other film in my top 10 a lot.

I should point out that I know the film wouldn't have been so high--perhaps not even in the top 10 at all--had I not seen it in the cinema. I consider the film dated now because the only suitable viewing experience for the movie is on a large, film-projected screen. Tati's misce-en-scene is muted by a smaller screen; there are scenes in the film where M. Hulot-like characters appear, but, on a small screen, you may be confused as to which was in real and which one isn't.

You said the later parts of the film warmed you more, which I think was the whole point; as the characters loosen up, the viewer enjoys the experience more.

I haven't seen it on a very large screen, but large enough to appreciate its looks. A nice thing was to observe everything that's on the screen and sometimes there was happening a lot.

Weird point, the ending warmed me, while the latter parts were more enjoyable. That's what I said. Haven't it been for IMO unsuccessful gags, I would have rated it higher, but you never know. I don't deny I may rewatch it some day.

I haven't seen it on a very large screen, but large enough to appreciate its looks. A nice thing was to observe everything that's on the screen and sometimes there was happening a lot.

Weird point, the ending warmed me, while the latter parts were more enjoyable. That's what I said. Haven't it been for IMO unsuccessful gags, I would have rated it higher, but you never know. I don't deny I may rewatch it some day.
Like I said, one of the film's main points is the curve overcoming the straight line; we go through the first 2/3rds of the film seeing shiny glass, boxed-shape rooms, and perfectly aligned cars. In the restaurant sequence, however, that very glass is broken (which allows lower class, less well off people join the film), order is disturbed, and, for once, we see the power of the curve. That's just how I feel about.

And thanks, Gunslinger!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Most films seem much better when seen on the big screen in as ideal a situation as possible. Everyone should try to see the better [older] films in the cinema. The problem is that it depends on where you live. But do try to watch them. I'm incapacitated and can only watch movies at home now. It's nice but disappointing. Luckily, I've seen most of the special ones I wanted to in the theatre already.

Minio, depending on how dull you really found Monsieur Hulot (as played and directed by Tati), he is the lead in four other movies.

I'll have to see this now. Great list!
Thanks. Make sure you tell me what you think if/when you do!

Most films seem much better when seen on the big screen in as ideal a situation as possible. Everyone should try to see the better [older] films in the cinema. The problem is that it depends on where you live. But do try to watch them. I'm incapacitated and can only watch movies at home now. It's nice but disappointing. Luckily, I've seen most of the special ones I wanted to in the theatre already.

Minio, depending on how dull you really found Monsieur Hulot (as played and directed by Tati), he is the lead in four other movies.
Yeah, I live in a small city, too; I guess you could say I saw this film in ideal circumstances, as a tourist in Paris.

Tati started to despise the character before he did Playtime, but the studio would not fund the film (at least, not with the budget it had) without a character French audiences would already know. It really is one of the most interesting failures in the history of cinema.

I'm not talking about interpretation, but simply my feelings about the movie.

I know 8 1/2 was supposed to be chaotic, but I hated the chaos in this particular flick.
In Playtime I didn't like the first part mainly due to the main character.

I've only seen three from your top ten. The Master which I'm fairly mutual on. I give it a
, and it was one I was highly looking forward to. It felt like it was being made up as it went along. It has fantastic acting and scenery, while some scenes are exceptional, some are plain. Eyes Wide Shut is certainly a fantastic film. It has a great setting and is extremely surreal. I don't love it nearly as much as you do, but I highly appreciate it. A great end to a career of a genius. Finally Contempt which I don't care for. It's just Godard making a film of his and being a prick director while doing it. Anyways nice list and congrats on finishing it. I enjoyed it

Donnie certainly doesn't mince his words

But a very interesting top 10, all films on their that I have not seen have been on my watchlist for a while I think, that image alone makes Playtime look very interesting, I actually bought Le Mepris on Blu-ray the other day so will watch soon

^Looking forward to your thoughts on it Daniel
I got Pierrot Le Fou on Blu-ray too (and Le Cercle Rouge and Ran), it's the only one of the four I've watched yet, but I know you're a big fan. I loved it, better than Breathless I thought.

Hey, don't hold it against me I recall seeing that film on your top 10, and I didn't know that it was your favourite movie. Still, it's marvelous seeing an Asian film on someone's top 10. I'm a big fan of Asian cinema.