More on Video Piracy...

Tools    

You guys who KNOW me know I llike to stay up on whats going on with this topic... here's an article, in its entirety I thought I would share that offers quite alot of info, and covers my feelings on the subject...

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

READY TO REWIND
JULY 3 | WASHINGTON--It's increasingly clear that the Supreme Court will have to revisit the Betamax case.

After 15 years in which Sony v. Universal held sway as the governing precedent in matters of home recording and recorders, technology has outstripped legal doctrine, raising a host of new questions not anticipated in 1984.

Is peer-to-peer software like a VCR? Does digitally deleting the commercials transform a fair-use copy into an infringing derivative work? And who should be liable if it does?

More to the point in legal circles, lower courts are having a difficult time agreeing on how to apply the old precedent to the new technology.

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ordered Napster shut down until it could purge infringing song files from its network.

In the Grokster case, a federal district court judge ruled that the more decentralized Grokster and Morpheus networks were more like VCRs, which the court in the Betamax case said could not be banned so long as they were capable of "substantial non-infringing uses."

And in a wide-ranging opinion handed down last week in a case involving the P2P network Aimster, the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals found fault with both of those earlier rulings.

The majority opinion in the Aimster case, in fact, all but defied the Supreme Court not to take up the issue. Penned by the widely respected jurist Richard Posner, the opinion drolly observes, "The Supreme Court made clear in the [Betamax] decision that the producer of a product that has substantial non-infringing uses is not a contributory infringer merely because some of the uses actually made of the product ... are infringing. How much more the Court held is the principal issue that divides the parties."

Should the Supreme Court decide to revisit Betamax, the stakes will be high for the studios, consumer electronics companies, computer makers, network operators, ISPs and, of course, consumers. Much will depend on the case the court chooses to hear.

The studios have long held that the Betamax precedent applies only to a very narrow range of circumstances--essentially the analog recording of free, over-the-air broadcasts for time-shifting purposes. Since P2P networks have nothing to do with time-shifting, studio lawyers have argued, Betamax has nothing to do with P2P, or with digital home recording, or sending digital recordings to friends, or deleting the commercials, or any other new uses made possible by digital technology.

Where the studios focused on behavior, however, others have focused on the Betamax court's analysis of the technology of the VCR--a device capable of multiple uses, including non-infringing ones.

In Grokster, the court held that at least some P2P networks are analogous to VCRs in that they're capable of substantial non-infringing uses and therefore legal.

In his opinion regarding Aimster, Posner implicitly rejects the technological analogy, arguing that the behavior of the users, not the technology, is at the heart of the Betamax case. Since Aimster offered no evidence that any of its members were actually using the network for non-infringing purposes, Posner wrote that the Betamax safe harbor is not available to it.

By that logic, the makers of any sort of recording device are potentially liable for the actions of their users.

In a passage that is already raising alarms, in fact, Posner argues that even under Betamax, "skipping the commercials by taping a program before watching it and then, while watching the tape, using the fast-forward button ... to skip over the commercials ... [is] unquestionably infringing."

Since that issue was not formally before the Seventh Circuit, Posner's finding is not binding. But it's a clear reference to the ReplayTV case and aimed as much to the Supreme Court as to the parties in Aimster.

The Betamax case shaped a generation of technology. When and how the Supreme Court decides to revisit the case will go a long way toward shaping the next one.
IMO...
Downloading movies via peer2peer (CAMS) is no differant then taping a song off the radio.... the quality is not DVD quality, you dont get the xtra stuff.... It, to me, is not differant from copying a tape you bought (music) and giving it to your friend.

anyhoo... I have voiced my o several times.. but no one has really voiced theirs....

anyone care to take up the subject?
NOT looking for debate.... just honestly curious to your alls opinions...

I See You When You're Sleeping
If it's a dull movie such as 'bruce almighty' or 'charlies angels 2' I'll consider 'getting' it but if it's a movie that looks good I'll pay to see it. If I didn't watch the dull looking movies in this way I wouldn't watch them at all.

APRIL 2 | WASHINGTON -- Taking a controversial page from the music industry's playbook, the Motion Picture Assn. of America is seriously considering suing individuals who download unauthorized movies online.

The lawsuit strategy was a hot topic at a clandestine meeting Monday between studio chiefs and outgoing MPAA topper Jack Valenti in Beverly Hills, Calif., according to several industry sources.

Valenti would not confirm the details of the meeting but issued a statement affirming the studios' right to pursue all options to fight piracy.

"I would just say that we have long said that we will rule out no options to protect the motion picture industry from the very real and devastating effects of piracy. It would be abdicating our responsibility to the film industry and the hundreds of thousands of workers who inhabit it to do so."

If the studios agree to move forward on the aggressive legal strategy, sources said they have discussed plans to soften the blow to movie fans with a comprehensive public relations campaign beginning in May, with suits following in the fall as high school and college students return to campus.

Rarely do the seven studios reach consensus on any major decision, and agreeing to sue fans is no different. Disney, which can't seem to shake a cloud of bad publicity, is the only studio vehemently opposed to the legal crackdown, sources said.

With the crusade to oust chairman Michael Eisner showing no signs of dissipating, Disney execs worry that slapping young fans with thousands of dollars in fines would further tarnish its public reputation and family-friendly image.

The rest of the studios are more willing to endure a little negative publicity to protect their copyrighted material--and their bottom lines.

"They've tried everything," one insider said. "The studios don't want to look back three years down the line and say we should have been more aggressive."

The movie biz estimates that physical piracy -- in the form of dubbed VHS tapes or DVDs -- costs the industry $3.5 billion a year worldwide. The online variety is more difficult to calculate, but Valenti has said that an estimated 400,000-600,000 copies of films are traded online every day.

The studios are desperately trying to avoid the fate suffered by the music biz, which began feeling the effects of online file-sharing more than four years ago. The record labels have witnessed a 26% decline in CD sales since then.

The Recording Industry Assn. of America launched its first wave of lawsuits in May, and the trade group's execs maintain they've since seen a significant drop in online music swapping.

Whether the lawsuits have a lasting impact, however, is in dispute. A new study by researchers at Harvard Business School and the University of North Carolina asserts that sharing music over the Internet has no direct impact on music sales because file-swappers would not have bought the music even if it weren't available for free online.

Reported by Daily Variety for Reed Business Information

What would the difference be of me recording a movie on my DVR from lets say: HBO VS me copying a DVD rental onto my computer? Is it okay to own movies copied from cable, but not copied from a DVD? I think the only problem I would have with any copying of any product would be if the copies were sold for a profit. Other than that I say copy to your hearts consent. The bottom line is that if a movie is one I want to watch I probably first bought a movie ticket, then 2nd I paid for a rental so I could copy it. Worse case I recoreded it off of a cable channel that I pay well for.

Originally Posted by 7thson
I think the only problem I would have with any copying of any product would be if the copies were sold for a profit. Other than that I say copy to your hearts consent.
I totally agree. It doesn't hurt a soul renting flicks, and if ya' like em....to burn them on DVD-R. That's what I do. I even sold most of my own DVDs (only the ones that aren't "w$rth" anything if you know what I mean), and got cash for them. I bought a bunch of DVD-Rs and now I am burning to my hearts consent. For my own private viewing pleasure.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
Originally Posted by 7thson
I think the only problem I would have with any copying of any product would be if the copies were sold for a profit. Other than that I say copy to your hearts consent.

What about non-profit distribution such as file sharing over the internet? what would be your take on that? I'm divided on the issue myself, I think its unfair to the artist or the film makers that their work is being distributed for free and that they should make some money off their work. Yet, when I look at the prices of some of these CDs and DVDs I can't say they are not asking for it either.

You can't copy anything that isn't on tv or that you don't own. Pay per view, movies in theaters, you can't copy. You can't sell or distribute anything except homemade stuff you made of yourself.

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
What about non-profit distribution such as file sharing over the internet? what would be your take on that? I'm divided on the issue myself, I think its unfair to the artist or the film makers that their work is being distributed for free and that they should make some money off their work. Yet, when I look at the prices of some of these CDs and DVDs I can't say they are not asking for it either.
Personally I think the loss to the entertainment industry due to peer to peer file sharing is a large amount. However the movie industry is by far not losing anywhere the amount of money that the music industry is. Until the quality of movies are better and a faster method of downloading a 4.7 gig file is attained then I do not see much issue with it either way. I do not download movies from peer to peer programs. . Until I see better laws in place I am kind of on the fence right now about file sharing

Not every film is available on DVD, don't forget. I think it's stupid to download a film that's readily available at a reasonable price on DVD but what other way is there to watch the obscure films?

I just got a notice from Comcast about a Game of Thrones torrent. Funny thing is they didn't notice when I did this previously, but only just now when I got it with Swedish subtitles. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's impossible to watch media with Swedish subtitles in the States. This is educational downloading after all.