Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

There's more discussion here than in Movie Tab. That's why I post in this one.
Not really, plus if everyone from here started posting in the Movie Tab then all this discussion will be brought there too. Even OP wants people to stop posting here.

Not Enough Time
Coen brothers night, because I did horribly on the quiz but love the movies I've seen of theirs.

Blood Simple - 8.5/10 as far as horror movies go
I don't exactly care for this genre of movie, so I'm a bit biased. But I loved the opening/credits scene, and also the twist of the story. I thought the acting was great and it had some great lines/monolouges. "You know what IS funny?" And the lighting was great, as well as some awesome camera shots. It was a classic horror film in my opinion, over all, which is good and bad; i will say it was very well done and a good horror film, but I just don't really like them that much. But I gave it credit where credit is due. Oh, and i LOVED the score, that song is fantastic.

Barton Fink - 9/10
I'm stopping myself from giving this a 9.5, mostly because I want to save 9.5 for movies that take my breath away, and 10 for something I may never see.
There was a recent review/rating of this movie on this thread, and I think they said it perfectly, that it is art. This type of film is why I love movies. And while not everything was explained exactly, it was done in a way you basically understood the idea but there's still room for interpretation (again, example of art, obvious symbolism yet not defined). Tony Shahloub (Geisler, not Geezler) is hilarious and such a good actor, I don't know why I haven't seen more of him. (side note: his role of the defense attorney in The Man Who Wasn't There is amazing).

Greenaway's style and the way he constructs his shots is right up my alley. The composition of each shot is so particular and exact, it gives his films the appearance of a painting in motion. Drowning By Numbers is visually arresting, and has a quirky and complex narrative that gives it a grotesque charm.

Greenaway's style and the way he constructs his shots is right up my alley. The composition of each shot is so particular and exact, it gives his films the appearance of a painting in motion. Drowning By Numbers is visually arresting, and has a quirky and complex narrative that gives it a grotesque charm.
How did you watch this? I can't find it anywhere.

Im a pretty huge David Cronenberg fan, but i was really disappointed about this movie. I think i gave it 1.5/5.

Out of curiosity, what did you like about Cosmopolis?
I agree that it was disappointing, although it was a good concept.

Interesting that this movie was produced right before Occupy Wall Street.

JFK 9/10

Great, great movie. Its very well directed and with a solid performance from Kevin Costner.The pace of the film is extraordinary even for a 3 hour movie.

Being John Malkovich
+

I've seen this movie many times and I think I love it a little more with each viewing. So original. So entertaining.
If you haven't seen it, WATCH IT NOW.

The Master (2012)

I've now completed Paul Thomas Anderson's filmography (feature films) and I officially LOVE all his movies! This one was certainly no exception.

This film triumphs visually, musically, acting-wise (also because of the great characters) and narratively! It is one big bomb of quality.
Some memorable moments were: the moments with the naked woman of sand; the 'model' walking around the store, trying to sell her fur coat with the 50s music on the background; the first 'session' with The Master; the discussion between the master and John More; the jail scene; Freddie walking from the wall to the window; the motorcycle scene; the scene in the cinema where he gets the 'call' (dreamed or not...); The last meeting with The Master; The final scene; etc.

It's basically a wonderful, subtle character study of a war veteran (Freddie Quell) who tries to find a kind of 'peace' in his tortured soul. One of his drunk nights brings him to a ship where he comes into contact with a group of people who call themselves 'The Cause'. They are led by a charismatic leader, named 'The Master'. After some friendly chats and some psychological/hypnotic sessions, their personalities start connecting in a strange kind of way. Freddie starts to believe in 'The Cause' and its vague methods and ideas and follows The Master in everything he does. He hopes he can find his own peace of mind with the help of these ideas (subconsciously).
During the course of the story, however, he meets a lot of people who question the ideas of The Master. At first he fights those people (literally), but at a certain point he begins to realize that all the ideas of 'The Cause' are empty, meaningless and NOT the truth and peace he is looking for. He drives away to freedom and after another disappointment in real life and a last visit to The Master, he becomes his own drunk self again (with some more experience and less agression in him) and continues his fickle life course...

Brilliant.

There are of course way more layers to the story (religious and political layers for example), but the main story itself was already very interesting and appealing to me.

I was also fascinated by The Master. I felt it was an excellent character study of one type of person who is drawn towards a cult-like following and, as you say, the conflicts that can arise - much in the same way that There Will Be Blood was a masterful character study of a greed/competition-driven man.

Joaquin Phoenix's performance was incredible, and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams were great as well.

I was also fascinated by The Master. I felt it was an excellent character study of one type of person who is drawn towards a cult-like following and, as you say, the conflicts that can arise - much in the same way that There Will Be Blood was a masterful character study of a greed/competition-driven man.

Joaquin Phoenix's performance was incredible, and Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams were great as well.
Agreed.

I have a slight feeling - although with no real evidence to back it - that the film will go down as a great in years to come.

People have found problems with the film, especially those who found it incoherent. But many films over the years have had the same problems - Kubrick 2001 and even Coppola's Apocalypse Now - but they are cited as some of the greatest.

The Tree of Life

Fantastic visual techniques that match up quite well with the existential questions implied and in some cases asked outright.

Before this, I had only seen The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven from Malick. I found TToL superior to Days of Heaven with certainty and perhaps more intriguing than The Thin Red Line. I'll need to watch TTRL again, but at this point I'm not sure TToL is "better," though it's certainly close and both are magnificent works.

Dr. Strangelove: or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964) 10/10
1941 (1979) 6/10
Son of Frankenstein (1939) 8/10