The MoFo Movie Club Discussion: The Fall

Tools    

That's just it, it's not supposed to be "interesting" to watch. Not every movie has to be about some profound life lesson and philosophy of human nature blah blah blah. It's a live action children's book. That's why I referenced it to Where the Wild Things Are earlier. Don't tell me WtWTA (the book) is just about the illustrations. The Fall is about recapturing that feeling you had when you were a child and having a story read to you. When things were going bad it frustrated you because you had no control over where the story was going. You would do anything to find that happy ending.

That's just it, it's not supposed to be "interesting" to watch.
It's a movie. Of course it's supposed to be interesting to watch.

Not every movie has to be about some profound life lesson and philosophy of human nature blah blah blah.
Never said it did. But I generally prefer movies that are, and it definitely has to be interesting somehow.

It's a live action children's book. That's why I referenced it to Where the Wild Things Are earlier. Don't tell me WtWTA (the book) is just about the illustrations. The Fall is about recapturing that feeling you had when you were a child and having a story read to you. When things were going bad it frustrated you because you had no control over where the story was going. You would do anything to find that happy ending.
I kind of liked that part, but I mainly just chalk it up to the girl, who was reasonably compelling considering the material.

What can I say? I wanted more. It is disconcerting to see those sorts of visuals alongside something so otherwise pedestrian, to me.

There's something incomplete or for wont of a better word, "googly" about the story. The suicide theme is truncated. The film needed a third character, obviously the ward nurse as his new love interest. We see the starlet crying in the car, but is she shedding her tears for him? In the end, we can't be sure of his motives.
I get you. Though perhaps there is something to be said about this very disconnect between the fictional, i.e. constructed, and the banal, quotidian real that haunts that construction. So when argh.pirate affirms that it is a "straightforward" story, she might be referring to this element of disappointment. Perhaps even to say that fiction always in some sense begins with a sense of disappointment at the real. The final spoken line of the film "that's it?" is the key to the oddly weighted story, I think.

good unique story
good unique visuals
good unique performances

10/10 for me.

more interpretation here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460791/...read/172177068

Awesome. Sorry, I'd be extensive. But that role has been taken up by about 20 people.