Jeremiah Johnson
4.76%
1 votes
Lonely Are the Brave
14.29%
3 votes
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

That's a gleaming endorsement from one who according to your own profile has seen exactly two Westerns from the BFI list. It has a 6.8 rating with over 2700 people that have voted on it on IMDB. Good enough for me.
I've seen hundreds of Westerns including all in this poll, and I disliked Life and Times from the get-go. If Pike and 2,699 others love it, I'm happy for them. But I just can't stanz it.

You want Paul Newman in a good modern Western--certainly as up to date as Lonely Are the Brave--then substitute Hud for Life and Times.

Semper Fooey
There wasn't a whole lot of discussion on Chinatown, a much better known movie than any of these. Little Big Man would seem to be the best bet for discusision with its depiction of the Indians (more benign than in the novel) and its psycho cartoon General Custer, also less of a caricature in the print version.

I haven't seen any of these, actually! I voted for Little Big Man, but [i]The Ballad of Cable Hogue[/b], being Peckinpah, was my second choice, and I see they're #1 and #2 at the moment, so yay. I'd gladly watch either. Heck, I'd gladly watch any of these. Really looking forward to seeing whatever we settle on.

Personally, I'd like to see a "contrast and compare" discussion of a whole group of several "modern Westerners"--Westerns set from around the transition from the 19th to the 20th century up through the 1950s.

My suggestion for films to be included in that discussion would be The Grey Fox (1982); Bruce Dern as Harry Tracy, Desperado (1982), a real outlaw reputed to be the last of Cassidy's Hole in the Wall Gang; Lonely Are the Brave (1962); Hud (1963); and the Ballad of Cable Hogue (not one of my favorites, but it fits the time period). It could include The Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid although each of those may have been talked to pieces by now. Other possibilities: Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strobe as The Professionals sent against Jack Palance's revolutionary outlaws; and the 1975 original version of Posse in which Marshal Kirk Douglas hopes to use the capture of outlaw Bruce Dern as the stepping stone to his election as governor of Texas. It may not depict the use of telephones and autos in the New West, but the idea of using law and order credentials to promote one's self to elective office is definitely a modern day concept. Besides, it's just an entertaining and fun film.

Giant also might be a candidate--the decline of the rancher and the rise of his modern counterpart, the oilman.

You could even throw in light-hearted fare like The Rounders--the one with Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda as modern day cowboys who work both on horseback and in pickup tracks for boss Chill Wills who is constantly trying to out-slick the boys.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The person in charge of the Movie Club (currently Powdered Water) chooses the films, but the last two times he has asked for suggestions from some other members. The actual point of the club is to get people to watch something which they may not have seen before and then discuss it back-and-forth with others. Sometimes, somebody may have seen all the choices, but we're trying to broaden people's movie interests in general; at least I believe that's an important part of it.

I've not seen any of these I'm mostly interested in The Balled of Cable Hogue and Little Big Man. Holden recently reviewed Cable Hogue in the Sam Peckinpah thread and it sounded very interesting + it's Peckinpah. And Little Big Man because Mark included it in his top 10 and wrote a (tremendous) piece on it in his mafo list.

I went for The Balled of Cable Hogue, but wouldn't mind if Little Big Man was eventually chosen.

I know of none of these movies listed and would really be interested in seeing and learning more about them. I voted for Little Big Man because Hoffman was in it.

Semper Fooey
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean is gaining round. It now has two votes! One thing it does have going for it is a very young and drop dead gorgeous Victoria Principal.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That's because you're too busy talking up Denzel and Rachel McAdams. These movies have been discussed around the site, and it would actually be a good thing to see more westerns to find out what you're missing.
You forgot about Russell Crowe too. I'm just saying that these movies really aren't that popular that's all. I'm sure they are good to most people.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The person in charge of the Movie Club (currently Powdered Water) chooses the films, but the last two times he has asked for suggestions from some other members. The actual point of the club is to get people to watch something which they may not have seen before and then discuss it back-and-forth with others. Sometimes, somebody may have seen all the choices, but we're trying to broaden people's movie interests in general; at least I believe that's an important part of it.
I understand it now. I voted Jeremiah Johnson, it seems to be pretty interesting. Wouldn't mind watching Little Big Man either.

Sometimes watching a movie that's not popular can change your life.

Semper Fooey
Personally, I'd like to see a "contrast and compare" discussion of a whole group of several "modern Westerners"--Westerns set from around the transition from the 19th to the 20th century up through the 1950s.

My suggestion for films to be included in that discussion would be The Grey Fox (1982); Bruce Dern as Harry Tracy, Desperado (1982), a real outlaw reputed to be the last of Cassidy's Hole in the Wall Gang; Lonely Are the Brave (1962); Hud (1963); and the Ballad of Cable Hogue (not one of my favorites, but it fits the time period). It could include The Wild Bunch and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid although each of those may have been talked to pieces by now. Other possibilities: Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Woody Strobe as The Professionals sent against Jack Palance's revolutionary outlaws; and the 1975 original version of Posse in which Marshal Kirk Douglas hopes to use the capture of outlaw Bruce Dern as the stepping stone to his election as governor of Texas. It may not depict the use of telephones and autos in the New West, but the idea of using law and order credentials to promote one's self to elective office is definitely a modern day concept. Besides, it's just an entertaining and fun film.

Giant also might be a candidate--the decline of the rancher and the rise of his modern counterpart, the oilman.

You could even throw in light-hearted fare like The Rounders--the one with Glenn Ford and Henry Fonda as modern day cowboys who work both on horseback and in pickup tracks for boss Chill Wills who is constantly trying to out-slick the boys.
Monte Walsh starring Lee Marvin is also about the vanishing old West.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You forgot about Russell Crowe too. I'm just saying that these movies really aren't that popular that's all. I'm sure they are good to most people.
Who are "most people"? Most people killing and mugging people? Or most people here? Or both?