Indie Movie "God, Sex & Apple Pie"

Tools    

Hi everyone,

I'm the Producer/Writer of the new movie "God, Sex & Apple Pie,"
that is opening in 4 weeks.

We just launched our website today. Come check it out! Would love to hear what you think...

http://www.GodSexApplePie.com

Jerome

Hmmm. What age are you?

The movie is officially rated "R" by the MPAA, which means of course no one under 17 unless accompanied...etc.

Thank you for the complement re: the design.

"God, Sex & Apple Pie" -- New Movie in Stores Now
Official Website for the independent film God, Sex & Apple Pie

Actually I'm only 16...perhaps I can have an adult accompany me, though. Any plans to open out here in Pittsburgh?

I must say, the opening image to the site certainly gave me a startle - but it does a fine job of grabbing the user's attention right away.

Yes, I hope to be able to run in Pittsburgh. Some of the investors in the movie live there, so they'd certainly appreciate that.

The opening image is a "grabber" which is why we decided to use it. It's very difficult to compete in the marketplace with movies that have huge stars in it, which is why so many people go to those movies....because of the stars.

Since we've won 6 major awards at the festivals, and have gotten critical acclaim, we hope that this will get us the press' attention, which then can translate into audience attendance.
[Edited by Filmmaker on 10-15-2000]

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Looks VERY interesting ... and I'm about to turn 21 so I think i'm old enough to see it .

It's very cool to have an actual filmmaker in the room. I'm a filmstudies minor so you're by default a case study.

The site is very stylish, sleek, simple, yet full of information. I like the personal/confessional touch under "Buzz". And yes that intro pic sure is eye catching.

Looks like it'll be a fun film with some refreshing candor. I look forward to checking it out.

Thanks for the compliments, Thmilin. Glad you like the site. And yes, it is a fun film; entertaining but also quite real.

What kind of stuff are you studying in your minor?

thanks for the b-day wishes! this coming wednesday, and i'm going to disneyland to celebrate!

Jerome, we took an intro to film studies which kind of ran the gamut from the beginning of film and we touched on several key directors, filmic elements, montage, diegesis, all those kinds of things. then I have to take a film theory course next quarter ... but in general the rest is whatever I pick. i've taken hollywood musicals and a few french film courses ... and am currently in a film noir course.

Too bad there isn't a major here at Stanford, if there were I would have taken it. As it is, i'm graduating already and they only just this year introduced the minor. ;(

Sounds cool.
Yeah, I wouldn't think of Stanford for majoring in film. Kind of a serious school, or at least that's what most of us think, when major politicians and presidents send their kids there.

What's your major in?

yeah, it's a serious school, to some degree. lots of uppity folks round here. but we're also the bay area and silicon valley so you get grunge folks, dropouts who make yahoo.com , gothic kids, and that whole weird San Francisco trickle. and it's still california so we've got sun and fun. just a lot of volkswagons and lexi (?) driving around and kids dressing with their parents' credit cards. and anal com sci geeks (no offense to anyone, the underdogs are all my crew plotting to rule the world.

i would have gone to USC but they weren't offering enough $$. i'm here on scholarship baby! but I chose it for the name. i'm dead broke and the name can only help.

we just got a recent film prof in the last few years who I was unaware of until junior year. I'm an english major with a creative writing emphasis. fell in love with this guy he's fun. scott bukatman (don't know if he's famous or anything but he's published some articles). he's about it for our film department. some other courses get taught in relation to communications and media but he's about it and even he works out of art history.

i've always loved film and don't know why the hell i didn't think of it until junior year, if I'd thought ahead of time I could have gone to another school and double majored. too late now! but there's always grad school ...

may the remote be with you.

Naaaa, don't go to grad school for film. I may get into trouble with those that have or do, but...undergrad is fine. At graduation time, it's time to go out and get into it, if film is what someone wants to do. School yourself and do it yourself.

Too many people go to grad school and then *never* get around to really doing it. Who knows why. Combination of factors, I'm sure.

Oooo... Can't wait to see this movie. I really love indie movies.

One of my favorite fairly recent was Six String Samurai.

Chris,
I don't know, since I never took film in school. I studied "dramatic arts", they called it at my school (acting).

Thanks, Herris, hope you get a chance to see it soon.
I actually haven't seen "Six String..." yet, but will soon. It had a lot of buzz when it played at Slamdance 2 (or 3?) years ago.

Hey Filmdude,
Have you seen American Movie?
It's an Indie film about a guy making an Indie film.
I saw it last night on dvd and thought it was pretty good.
If you've seen it what did you think of it and how close to reality is it?

Dang, that sounded like I was giving you a homework essay.

film classes in college are basically like any other course where you are studying and analyzing a "text" - in this case, the "text" is the film. Just as an English major I tear apart literature to talk about what devices it uses to accomplish this or that and how well it was at accomplishing that. For film you just use another set of terms and rules.

So a typical class period is -- sit in a room and listen to a lecture that discusses theories of film critics and film makers who have published articles and all criticize one another or prove a point they've been debating internally all their lives. Doesn't matter if we agree or disagree, it's just to educate us with what's going on with film. Even the prof may tear up some critic's work cause he just doesn't agree. We can ask questions, debate a point for a little bit, but it is mainly lecture so you don't engage the professor cause he's really trying to talk to the whole large group not just you. Then he will demonstrate his (or other's) points with film clips etc. Then we argue for, against, create a whole new hypothesis all our own, or whatever, and explore this in a paper like any other class using the terms and rules of film.

We break down visual moments, ie, take a scene in a film (the intro to Psycho, for example) and break it down into it's elements -- the opening shot is an establishing shot we are VERY familiar with today, and this set a precedent (a great example of history made with film) -- NY from above and a distance. Then a pan/zoom into an interior shot of an apartment where two main characters are in the midst of interaction. This is a typical opening scene for many films and while it had certainly been used before this movie there was a serious flooding of the device in other films after this one that we still see and take for granted today. At the time, it was still rather unique.

We also visually analyze film image itself. In a single frame -- say, in Hitchcock's Vertigo, Madeleine's character enters a restaurant and she stands facing but not seeing the protagonist. The walls are a lush red, she is rose white, and she is in an emerald green dress. At the very moment the protagonist turns to see her and she pauses before continuing onward - never having seen him -- the light against the heavily detailed wall behind her amplifies and her background is suddenly glowing so that she becomes, in effect, a living cameo. It is highly subtle and unless you freeze frame before the moment and watch each frame you don't _consciously_ notice it. Then we analyze what that has to do with the film itself, with the characters, what was Hitchcock trying to do, what does this say about this or that, etc.

That's why I love film. there is meaning in nothing and everything; the director's work of art is a puzzle with various pieces and to know what each piece is about or to at least be aware of all the possibilities is to fully appreciate the final product instead of just seeing the obvious creation at the end. Analyzing Vertigo in depth as I did I fell in love with the movie and was VERY entangled in it. I had never seen it before which made it a very psychologically complicated experience. When I saw the end and hadn't expected it, I was VERY disturbed and very moved.

That's what film can do to you. I love it because of that, it's like great food or great sex.

Originally posted by thmilin
That's what film can do to you. I love it because of that, it's like great food or great sex.
I would certainly agree with "great sex," but no so much with "great food," simply because great food has never changed me as a person. Food is wonderful, and each meal is a different experience and savored differently, but great sex (and love) can literally change a person. As can film, if we're open to it. Or, maybe I just haven't had the *right* food...

I also like your quote about meaning in nothing and everything. It's been fun on the festival circuit to see some people decipher the meaning of things that I wrote in the fun, and others who come up with their own meaning, based upon their life experiences and perspective. And others who sometimes attribute meaning to something neither I nor the director intended.

Sunfrog: No, I haven't seen American Movie yet, but it's on my list to see. From what I've heard, it sounds like there's a certain amount of accuracy in it. I understand it is about that guy, (who is a real guy), and who really is an aspiring filmmaker doing his thing. There'a couple other movies I'd recommend if you're into stories about making a movie. "Mistress" is one of my favorites in this vein. Fun movie, great cast, with true to life situations in it. (Title doesn't lead one to think it's about "the business," but it is.) Another one is "Living In Oblivion." Not the best film ever made, but it has a number of good scenes in the movie. And rumor has had it that the guy who plays the lead actor in the movie that is being shot within the movie is supposed to have been a take on Brad Pitt, who starred in this director's first movie. (All before Pitt became famous.) I've also heard that that rumor is not true...so who knows?

Oh, and lest I forget, if you've never seen "The Making of...And God Spoke," it is excellent. Funny and real. Or should I say, funny because it's real as to what goes on behind the scenes.

Well, I try to make this a nice family movie site and what happens? A discussion over which is better: food or sex. What else did I expect from the producer of a movie like "God, Sex, and Apple Pie" I guess the Apple Pie takes second place...

I do know what you mean though - I'd imagine all directors have the odd duty of hearing of everyone's odd theories on their movies...all of which may make sense, but which usually are way off base from what the movie was supposed to be about.

Okay, since you guys are already taking about movie symbolism and sex...ponder, if you will, "Alien" - the first flick.

They go into a space ship that looks like a giant pair of legs stuck up in the air...they go inside - the walls look biological, and they find EGGS inside - anyone notice the theme yet? There are lots of other sexual references which I will not go into here, but at the end the symbolism of an abortion is present...she blows the alien out of the hatch, like a vacuum...it's holding on by a string stuck in it's stomach - looks a lot like an ambilicol (sp?) cord, and eventually she blows it into space.

What's she do next? Sits with her cat.

If anyone is interested, I'd be glad to post details on my father's theory on these movies...which I find pretty cool.

All these sexual references were originally mentioned in a fine book called "Monster from the ID" - a book that talks about how a lot of older monster movies served as a way for people to kill off their sexual tendencies because of their inner guilt...IE: the typical scene where the boy and girl are swimming together or something in a sexual manner, and the sea monster kills them. It happened so often it became a cliche. The author thinks that this is a way of dealing with guilt during the sexual revolution several decades ago.

Oh sure, you tell me to calm down and then you talk about the Alien spaceship looking like a pair of legs. Lol!
Now I have to go rent that and check it out.

I love Independent films not just the ones about film making. But I plan to rent those since you recomended them and they sound like something I would like. What I like best it that on Dvd's you can usually click on something and watch the movie with the directors commentary on. Sometimes it's the actors and the directors. I love that.