Lost Souls Opens Tomorrow

Tools    

Didn't see it.
Lost Souls, the latest Winona Ryder movie, opens tomorrow. Did you know that it was made two years ago? It was made in 1988 for release in 1999. That doesn't give me high hopes for it's quality.

Ben Chaplin from The Thin Red Line, Washington Square, and The Truth About Cats and Dogs plays Peter Kelson, the guy whom Satan is after in this flick.

The film also stars John Hurt (Love and Death on Long Island, Contact, and The Climb. Hurt is in an upcoming film called Captain Corelli's Mandolin with Nicholas Cage and Penelope Cruz. He plays an exorcist in Lost Souls.

The film was produced by Meg Ryan's company Prufrock pictures. The first-time director is Janusz Kaminski who has been the director of cinematography for films such as Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Amistad. He also worked with Spielberg on Lost World: Jurassic Park. He also worked on Jerry Maquire.

Check out the official site.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 10-12-2000]

Didn't see it.
Did you know that Kaminski is married to actress Holly Hunter? They were introduced to each other by Steven Spielberg. Apparently, Spielberg and Hunter once dated.

Didn't see it.
There is some film hype about crew members experiencing strange accidents and allergic reactions during the filming. I have a sinus headache as I type this. Oh, no! I'm possessed.

The film was also delayed by electrical fires from bad equipment. I'm sure that happens all the time, but it makes for an eerie story about the filming of a movie about Satan. Ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh.

Didn't see it.
All that said, I like scary movies and Winona Ryder, so I'll probably see it the first chance I get. LOL!

Wow, that's quite a bit of info. Needed more than one post to squeeze it all in, eh?

Winona Rider is quite an actress...I'll always think of her the way she was in "Beetlejuice"...an odd, yet entertaining movie. I personally think "Lost Souls" is going to bomb...why? Too many religious "thrillers." I love the thought of a well done religous/revelation/prophecy type of movie, but with Bless the Child and End of Days serving as dissapointments for most, I have little hope for another go at it.

Not to mention it has direct competition in "The Excorcist."

Didn't see it.
I'll probably see it even if it gets bad reviews.

What do you think of Winona Ryder? I like most of her movies that I have seen. I know it was a chick flick, but I thought she was excellent in Little Women.

You're talking to the wrong person - I'm mostly a "guy movie" guy...if you know what I mean. My dad loves to joke about it: "boobs, bombs and exploding heads" - he's kidding of course.

She's a fine actress...although being the type of fan I am, I'm judging her through her performance in Alien: Resurrection.

Didn't see it.
That's funny. I like just about any kind of movie. I do enjoy the "lots of blood and everybody dies" variety too.

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Heheh, I love it when we got on movie tangents!

I love Holly Hunter ... who is slightly, incidentally, deaf in one ear. Shows you can do anything and be great, she's a lovely actress with lots of "sass."

Lost Souls looked like it might make it until I saw Ben Chaplin in the trailer and gave up all hope of taking it seriously. And I think they overdo it with Winona Ryder's being all washed up. She looks like she got possessed, run over by a car, put through detox, wrung dry, blown up, and put back together again, and they only needed to stop at "possessed."

You are so right though about all the disappointing religious doomsday thrillers. My best friend got all excited with End of Days and wasn't too moved and we didn't even bother seeing Bless the Child (a female protagonist Sixth Sense). And when I asked, do you want to see Lost Souls tomorrow? she said, No but maybe I'll rent it. I just don't want to get hurt again.

Ahh, it was hilarious, but true. Even stigmata, which I saw (and she hasn't yet, but I think it's the best of the bunch) wasn't too impressive.

Saw the new exorcist last weekend and um, it was good. even better than the original. they ain't kidding.

SPOLIERS! Do not read below if you do not want Stigmata possibly spoiled for you.

Ok, still here? Stigmata was good, and it was well done, but it was basically a 2-hour commercial for the Gospel of Thomas...as a devout Christian, I do not believe what that movie is saying...they can make their point without portraying a high-ranking Catholic as a murdered too...well done movie nontheless, and was fun to see. It made me appreciate God more than usual, and get to see what it was like in a more realistic sense than all the drawings and sculptures.

Didn't see it.
Did anybody get to see Lost Souls this weekend? Or anything else for that matter?

I ended up in East Texas and didn't see anything.

I was really close to seeing either "The Ladies Man" (or is it "The Ladieth Man"? ), or "Meet the Parents", but it basically fell through. Hopefully I'll be able to see one of them this coming week.

I swear I saw this movie before a long time ago. I saw it 'cause Winona is in it, but I remember I didn't like it.
Because A. Its dumb and not scary. And B. Winona isn't naked again. (sigh)

If you wanna see a good Winona pic, see Girl Interupted. It's a good movie plus she has a bathtub scene with Whoopie. Angela Jolie is hot in it too.

Speaking of religous stuff. The Messenger is good that way. Go see it. I know you didn't 'cause people don't even want to rent it. But it's good. It makes you wonder if Joan D'Arc is really a saint or just some teenage psycho chick. No one saw it 'cause it didn't have a big name in it and 'cause they thought it would be 2 hours of John Malcovich talking in boring old English. But it's not. It's good. Joan of Arc is pretty hot too. Lol! That's what I base my movie reviews on. Is it well written with a good story and does it have a hot chick in it.

Neve Campbell needs to get naked too! Oh baby! And that Denise Richards is a hottie for sure! Now I forgot what I was gonna write about. .......... .. .

Oh yeah! I saw it like 5 - 6 months ago. I don't know, maybe it was a sneak preview or something.