Away We Go

→ in
Tools    

I don't really like the super formal review style, so I won't. I would prefer this to be a discussion piece about the movie, unless that is frowned upon in this section of the forum. I didn't see many threads about individual movies in the Gen Discussion forum. So this thread is for people who have seen the movie. If you haven't, I think you should.

Anyway, if you've read reviews of this movie, you'll notice they are quite polarized. Some find it funny, and touching and quite real. Others find it rather contemptuous of its audience or forcing its humor.

Now I personally found it to be quite enjoyable when I saw it. The situations can seem forced and ridiculous, but I can still appreciate the witty dialogue, which I don't find pretentious. Real people can be witty too. The tender parts felt real, and I thought were honest observances of struggle.

But I read this review from the NY Times:
Originally Posted by review
Are we screw-ups? Verona wonders aloud. (I’m paraphrasing.) She and her boyfriend, Burt, expecting their first child, live in a ramshackle, poorly heated house and drive a boxy old Volvo. They are maybe a little scruffy, but they seem, objectively, to be doing all right, with jobs that don’t require them to go to work and a relationship that looks tender and durable.

Verona’s question may or may not be disingenuous, but the answer provided by "Away We Go," the slack little road comedy in which it arises, is unambiguous. Far from being screw-ups, Verona and Burt, played with passive-aggressive winsomeness by Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski, are manifestly superior to everyone else in the movie and, by implication, the world.

And even though they express themselves with a measure of diffidence, it’s clear that they are acutely, at times painfully, aware of their special status as uniquely sensitive, caring, smart and cool beings on a planet full of cretins and failures.

The smug self-regard of this movie, directed by Sam Mendes from a script by Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida, takes a while to register, partly because Ms. Rudolph and Mr. Krasinski are appealing and unaffected performers and partly because the writing has some humor and charm. The opening scene, which finds the couple in bed, is disarmingly sweet and candid in its depiction of the sexual rapport of longtime lovers. There is real intimacy and affection between them, which is wonderful until, before too long, it becomes as insufferable as the songs by Alexi Murdoch, which similarly wear out their rueful, faux-naïve welcome.

The episodic narrative of “Away We Go” is spun from a thin, cute premise. The parents-to-be need to find a suitable place to raise their daughter, and their search gives them an opportunity to visit friends and relatives and to collect the nuggets of grievance and disappointment that fuel their search for perfect happiness.

Burt’s parents (Catherine O’Hara and Jeff Daniels) are a pair of giggly ninnies who have decided to decamp for Belgium, and their dinner table display of selfishness kicks off a transcontinental parade of bad child-rearing. A visit to Lily (Allison Janney), a former boss of Verona’s who lives in Phoenix, reveals a tableau of vulgar suburban dysfunction: fat, sullen kids; wildly inappropriate language; daytime drinking; and free-floating political paranoia (courtesy of Lily’s husband, played by Jim Gaffigan).

These red state grotesques are offset, a bit later, by a family in Madison, Wis., whose matriarch, L N, a gender studies professor played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, is a soft-spoken medusa of political correctness and New Age malarkey.

Ms. Gyllenhaal and Ms. Janney are both quite funny — Ms. Gyllenhaal’s line about sex roles in “the seahorse community” is the screenplay’s one clean satirical bull’s-eye — but there is an unsettling meanness to the film’s treatment of their characters. Burt and Verona are immune from the slightest mockery, which gives the film’s comic moments a bullying, self-righteous tone.

And the pity they show for less obnoxious characters — including Burt’s brother (Paul Schneider) in Miami and some old college friends (Chris Messina and Melanie Lynskey) in Montreal — is flavored with contempt. The human landscape Mr. Mendes surveys (the physical one is shot with understated beauty by Ellen Kuras) is dominated by inadequacy, with a special emphasis on maternal instincts gone awry.

In addition to Lily and L N, there is a mom who has fled and another whose adopted brood can’t compensate for her inability to bear children. And then there is Verona’s sister (Carmen Ejogo), whose boyfriend is such an evident loser that he can’t even make it onto the screen alongside the marvelous Burt.

Not that Burt is boastful. On the contrary, he and Verona glow with a modesty that only adds luster to their many other virtues. Their conversation is carefully poised on the boundary between facetiousness and sincerity, and they do things like turn unlikely words into adjectives by adding the letter Y (Burt wants a “Huck Finn-y” life for their baby) and pretend to argue about the difference between cobbling and whittling.
To observe that they inhabit no recognizable American social reality is only to say that this is a film by Sam Mendes, a literary tourist from Britain who has missed the point every time he has crossed the ocean. The vague, secondhand ideas about the blight of the suburbs that sloshed around "American Beauty" and "Revolutionary Road" are now complemented by an equally incoherent set of notions about the open road, the pioneer spirit, the idealism of youth.

Or something. Really, “Away We Go” is about the flight from adulthood, from engagement, from responsibility, even as it cleverly disguises itself as a search for all those things. But the dream of being left alone in a world of your own making, far from anything sad or icky or difficult, is a child’s fantasy. Not an unattractive or uncommon one, it must be said, and for that reason it is tempting to follow Burt and Verona into the precious, hermetic paradise that awaits them at the end of the road. You know they will be happy there. But you should also understand that you are not welcome. Does it sound as if I hate this movie? Don’t be silly. But don’t be fooled. This movie does not like you.
It got me thinking.

WARNING: "Away We Go" spoilers below
The characters are portrayed in a superior fashion to everyone. And in the end they choose not to help either of their troubled friends/family. They do run away and keep their superiority distinct. Now I didn't find the dialogue pretentious, but maybe I should have. If the characters are better than their peers maybe their speech is supposed to be as well.

Is this a legitimate complaint?

Is this a legitimate complaint?
Maybe, but I have a legitimate complaint about the spoiler in regards to the ending of the movie you added at the end of your post.

And perhaps you should think for yourself instead of having the New York Times do it for you.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I have thought of it as well. I was asking for more opinions.

Also, I stated at the beginning that the thread is for people who have seen the movie.

It's perfectly reasonable for anyone -- whether or not they've seen the film -- to want spoiler tags added to significant plot details. Saying this thread is for people who have seen the movie is not the same thing as warning people that they may have the film spoiled for them if they continue. You need an actual, specific warning; otherwise, it sounds as if you're saying you simply prefer insights from others who have seen the film.

I, for one, was looking forward to seeing Away We Go, but now I know what happens at the end. That's a pretty frustrating thing, and it'll probably single-handedly cause me to rent it, instead of seeing it in theaters. Please be more careful in the future.

Happy New Year from Philly!
Hi zerodice,

This is what I wrote about Away We Go in another thread:
I just came back from seeing Away We Go.

It is hilarious. Maya Rudolph and the cute guy from the Office are a latter day Cuneganda and Candide.

The rotten people make the movie.

Alison Janney plays a terrible bitch and steals the show until Maggie Gyllenhall shows up nursing what looks like two kids at once and one old enough to chew steak. She is wonderfully horrible and pretentious.

What a fun and humane movie.

If you loved Juno, you'll enjoy this.
Obviously, I disagreed with the NYT. Yes, two of the characters are over the top and grotesque. So what? They were the funniest part of the film.

As to this spoiler controversy, I would be in agreement if this were a thriller or a murder mystery or one of those films in which a revealing moment surprises the audience like The Crying Game or The Sixth Sense. But it's not. It's a light weight comedy about two people looking for a place to live. Guess what happens at the end? I won't tell you. I wouldn't want to spoil it. (Sarcasm intended.) The trip is merely a frame on which the screenwriter hangs an assortment of families that this young couple, who are starting their own family, encounter and measure themselves and what they want for each other against.

A film doesn't have to have a massive twist ending to have "spoilers." It might not ruin such a film to know what happens, but it will almost inevitably take something from it.

Regardless, the whole idea is that each person gets to decide for themselves. When someone posts plot details without a notice, they're taking that choice away from anyone reading. More importantly, though: they're doing it for absolutely no reason whatsoever. It's not as if it's difficult to post a simple warning, so why not make that token effort to be courteous and let people decide for themselves?

Nobody's flipping out here, but it seems pretty self-evident to me that this is the most considerate way to discuss films, and given how little effort is involved, I'm not sure that there's any reasonable argument against it.

Yes I see your point now, and I'm sorry. I thought it was clearer and didn't intend on any major spoiler.

After more thought, I decided that the director (Sam Mendes), is not the kind to lightly give his protagonists arrogance, but it was unintended by him, and not his fault. I think it is more from the influence of the screenwriters (Eggers and his wife), who have crafted a screenplay in which this was unavoidable. I have always thought Eggers was overrated, and I think he didn't think enough about the ramifications of his characters actions in this. I do not think it is a light enough movie to get away with this shortsightedness. I think it's an unfortunate flaw in what could have been a very good movie.