Movie everyone loved but YOU hated?

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Some films you get and some you don't. Simple as that.
"... and never the twain shall meet."

Lets not forget that it was essentially a children's film that also appealed to adults; first and foremost though, it was for children.
That's very astute, Used. I'm trying to teach Sarah to always keep some of her innocence and childhood because to me that's what makes movies so important. I'm not implying that you have to stay childish to enjoy movies, but it bothers me when young people, you know, many of the young people here who I love, sound jaded because I wonder why do you feel so above certain material or film magic? Why do you reject emotion in an alternate reality? I realize that people like to draw a line, but there is not a single filmmaker out there who isn't trying to engage your emotions, whether you notice it or not.

John Ford rocks!!!
Forrest Gump and Glatiator. Ugggg! I Heart Huckabees had me rolling my eyes as well. I'm sure there are others.

As far as outer-space aliens go, ET was a disappointment.
He is gentle etc.
I feel outer-space aliens should come to earth in the movies, determined to spread violence and death upon humanity.

Welcome to the human race...
He is gentle etc.
I feel outer-space aliens should come to earth in the movies, determined to spread violence and death upon humanity.
It's this kind of mentality that makes it hard for me to take friendly aliens seriously.

He is gentle etc.
Obviously you didn't watch after the credits.

the curious case of benjamin button!!!
this may sound funny but i didn't think there was anything artistic in that movie!!

I'm no huge fan of E.T. nowadays, but for what it was it did capture the imagination of a generation much like Star Wars, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Lets not forget that it was essentially a children's film that also appealed to adults; first and foremost though, it was for children.

I saw E.T. in theaters as a little boy, and found it funny, uplifting, suspenseful, exciting and ultimately tear jerking (though I vehemently denied crying to my mum at the time). It was an event, all the kids at school would mention it in the same breath as Star Wars, it just worked.
I saw it as an adult and was struck by its anti-intellectual bias. It presented a negative view of the doctors and scientists, but the doctors and scientists were right--the little Martian was feeding off the kid's life forces and making him ill. The part I really hated though was when ET causes that pack of kids on their bikes to fly. If he had anti-gravity powers that allowed him to fly, why was he running through the forrest to get back to his ship at the start of the film. He could have just soared above the treetops and made it back before the saucer took off. Apparently ET was the Gomer Pyle of his planet.

lord of the rings i thought the first one was boring
the martiax
austion powere just stupid
starwars only liked empier strkes back. i did like epsidoes 1 a lot
most scray moives too bloody or too grose. i don't like blood in moives.
Oceans 13
tHE TRUMAN SHOW

You want to post like me?
He is gentle etc.
I've always found our beastial and very violent depiction of Aliens a result of human arrogance...

lord of the rings i thought the first one was boring
the martiax
austion powere just stupid
starwars only liked empier strkes back. i did like epsidoes 1 a lot
most scray moives too bloody or too grose. i don't like blood in moives.
Oceans 13
tHE TRUMAN SHOW
I agree with the first three of your choices, though I wouldn't limit the LOTR trilogy to the first one. I thought it was the most enjoyable one.

I also thought that The Truman Show only got really interesting at the moment the story ended, that is to say, his reaction (and subsequent interaction) with the world at large as well as his reaction to having his life so controlled and scrutinized. Very disapointing.

I saw it as an adult and was struck by its anti-intellectual bias. It presented a negative view of the doctors and scientists, but the doctors and scientists were right--the little Martian was feeding off the kid's life forces and making him ill. The part I really hated though was when ET causes that pack of kids on their bikes to fly. If he had anti-gravity powers that allowed him to fly, why was he running through the forrest to get back to his ship at the start of the film. He could have just soared above the treetops and made it back before the saucer took off. Apparently ET was the Gomer Pyle of his planet.
Well, it's quite obvious E.T. is, shall we say, "special"...

(Any excuse to post that video.)

Look, anybody who separated the kid from E.T. was the bad guy from the kid's (and thus, the film's) perspective, but that anti-intellectual B.S. is just that. Here's what the main scientist says: "Elliot, he came to me too. I've been wishing for this since I was 10 years old, I don't want him to die. What can we do that we're not already doing? I don't think he was left here intentionally, but his being here is a miracle, Elliot. It's a miracle and you did the best that anybody could do. I'm glad he met you first."

It's OK to be an E.T. hater but I don't think it makes sense. Elliot is exactly the kind of son I'd want to have. I'd be proud if I was half as concerned and caring a person as Elliot is in the movie.

I meant the whole "anti-gravity" thing and how come he has the power to telepathically lift a handful of pushbikes and the kids riding them yet he struggles to run (on stumpy, not-built-for-swift-movement legs, no less) back to his spaceship before it takes off.

You've heard this before, haven't you? Horse Pucky. Movies reveal things when they want to. I'm sure you can right now go through your list of Fave Movies and find irrational occurrences which were there to make the movie play better. Grinches thrive on those things which make certain screenwriters millionaires (and others cult nobodies).

MovieForums Extra
I hope I don't get shot, but I truly disliked, very much, a whole lot, The New World.

I thought the story was all over the place, Colin Farrell did nothing for me (I wanted to slap him from time to time) and it was TOO LONG!!!

Also, I just did not like Withnail & I....I'm not sure why. Of course, I have Harold & Maude in my top ten so I guess there is no accounting for some people's taste.

I like both Harold and Maude and Withnail and I a hell of a lot, but they are still vastly different movies in most regards (they do share a vaguely similar feel, though, and the progression of the lead characters in both films are similar as well).