Top 5 Favorite Scenes in a Horror Movie (And Worst)

Tools    

Meh, gory movies don't really matter to me. Whether it has alot of gore or if it doesn't. Here are my top 5 horror scenes:

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Tina and her boyfriend go upstairs to have sex at a sleepover. When Tina falls asleep, she has a vivid dream of a man chasing her with claws (Freddy). Of course, she doesn't wake up to tell the story. Her boyfriend jumps out of bed in his underwear, confused of what is going on. This has to be the best scene ever in a horror movie. Not only does it resemble 70's-80's pastime sex scenes with gore (which makes it classic), but it also stays vivid for the way the scene was shot.

2. Saw II
For those who love the saw movies, I am also a huge fan. My favorite part is the opening scene from Saw II, where the Death Mask victim struggles for his life. Don't worry, he won't become that mad at a game he can't win

3. Halloween II
Best scene in the Halloween movies would have to be in the second one, when they boil in the hot tub. Very classic "clever" slasher use there. Imagine how hot that would be

4. Donnie Darko
The gruff voice that wakes Donnie up is pretty creepy. That has always gotten me. Frank to be exact. It's still there in my head: "Wake up... I've been watching you."

5. Cursed
This movie has to have a pretty good "scare" scene if you ask me. The part where his dog become a werewolf is as scary as MoFo getting closed down forever. It has a natural tone to the term "thriller".

Best - A Nightmare on Elm Street
Worst - Zombie Strippers

Share yours!!!

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Every scene from Evil Dead II i can't make a list there are so many! Shaun of the Dead and of course Scream and Cabin Fever was definitely memorable

1. Final Destination

The long sequence where a panicked Carter is driving recklessly on the road in a really ****ed up attempt to prove his masculinity and smokescreen his fear. This along with the bit where Death has Carter stuck in the car and Devon Sawa's Alex is doing his absolute physical best in trying to break him out was VERY scary for me. It's a bit of an upsetting scene because it's a bleak reminder that people do react irrationally when put in a fatal situation and, like the film suggests, show their true colours.

2. A Nightmare On Elm Street

Way too many scenes to pick. But that scene where Nancy falls asleep in the bathtub and Freddy's signature glove knives appear above the surface of the water and tries to drown her is as visionary as it is chilling.

3. Switchblade Romance

Again, too many scenes too pick, but for me, it has to be the sequence where Cecile De France's character runs into the mens toilets whilst being pursued by the killer. The whole sequence is cliched yet the tension is so severe, so intense that you really think you're in there with her. The bit where she washes her face and looks up in the mirror only to find herself staring right back at her is a nice little spin on the whole 'looking up in the mirror only to see the killer' tool.

4. 28 Weeks Later

The entire Resident Evil 4 style opening sequence is ****ing scary. You know it's coming, but you aren't prepared for just how relentless that scene is. Easily the best part in the film.

5. Alien

The freaky yet symbolic scene where Harry Dean Stanton, is hunting for some *ahem* pussy, only to find that the now full grown Alien has emerged from the steam behind him.

3. Halloween II
Best scene in the Halloween movies would have to be in the second one, when they boil in the hot tub. Very classic "clever" slasher use there. Imagine how hot that would be
I don't like gore, but there are still many that I can list. I'll need to dwell. For now, the Halloween freak in me, wants to word this death scene better. I can't help myself.

'They' didn't boil. Her boyfriend went to turn the temperature down on the hot-tub, and we see their silhouette, as Michael strangles him from behind. Then Michael goes to the nurse who is now sitting on the side of the hot-tub. He keeps dunking her head in, holding her by the hair of her head, until the flesh on her face gets a tad blistered. Then of course he holds her up one last time, so that her towel can drop off, for the ever so popular boob scene.

OK, Halloween has been my favorite movie for the past 25 years of my life, roughly, so that can be my first choice. You know . . . the whole movie.

I'll be back.

I don't like gore, but there are still many that I can list. I'll need to dwell. For now, the Halloween freak in me, wants to word this death scene better. I can't help myself.

'They' didn't boil. Her boyfriend went to turn the temperature down on the hot-tub, and we see their silhouette, as Michael strangles him from behind. Then Michael goes to the nurse who is now sitting on the side of the hot-tub. He keeps dunking her head in, holding her by the hair of her head, until the flesh on her face gets a tad blistered. Then of course he holds her up one last time, so that her towel can drop off, for the ever so popular boob scene.

OK, Halloween has been my favorite movie for the past 25 years of my life, roughly, so that can be my first choice. You know . . . the whole movie.

I'll be back.
So will I.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I don't know about "favorite", but I can list some memorable scenes to me.

The Exorcist - Still the most disturbing scene I've ever seen in a Hollywood film is the one involving Regan (Linda Blair), her mom (Ellen Burstyn), a crucifix, something resembling an armoire, and the voice of Burke Dennings (Jack MacGowran). I still can't believe The Exorcist didn't get an X rating for that one.

The Innocents - The extended hide and seek scene is wonderfully scary.

Rosemary's Baby - Rosemary (Mia Farrow) escaping from her husband (John Cassavetes) and doctor (Ralph Bellamy) in the taxi, beating them to the elevator and locking her apartment door before they can get in. Then, everything after that.

An American Werewolf in London - The Nazi Zombie scene.

The Pit and the Pendulum - Prince Prospero (Vincent Price) goes insane and uses the slice-and-dice pendulum on John Kerr.

P.S. My fave Alien scene is the long scene down on the planet where they find an enormous underground world, and the eggs on the surface. Then John Hurt sticks his head down a little to close...POW! For me, that scene climaxes with the chest buster.

What's wrong with Zombie Stippers? That looked like such a winner but pretty obviously inevitably bad.

Agree with 28 Weeks Later, that is a ****ing brutal opening and one of my all time favourites, especially with 'Godspeed You! Black Emperor' playing.

Think i'd put Aja's Hills Have Eyes over Switchblade Romance though.

Pretty much most of Tom Savini's work (SFX and acting )

Any scene with Bruce Campbell post-Evil Dead is above and beyond

Think i'd put Aja's Hills Have Eyes over Switchblade Romance though.

I don't blame you for saying that because as far as horror remakes goes, Hills Have Eyes is up there.

I like Aaron Stanford's fight scene with one of the freaks. The way he gets all gung ho is a huge payoff for us.

1. Alien - Death of Captain Dallas.

The Vanishing 1988 - The Ending.

Predator - Dillon gets his arm shot off.

Ichi the Killer - Kakihara takes his piercings out and swallows a mans fist.

Jaws - Either the Death of Quint or the scene where Hooper goes in the water and finds Ben Gardner.

Worst - A few here and there but I dont remember the absolute worst.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
oh man, yeah Hills Have Eyes (the remake) was awful to watch

In Black Christmas the guy gets impaled on top of a christmas tree and his intestines wrapped around it like a decoration...that was memorable

and the scene in hostel when he's just walking down the hallways and seeing the various torture sequences is pretty bad

and Reanimator when the head is giving head

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Re: Jaws, the Quint and Ben Gardner scenes are classic. So are the opening Chrissie Watkins scene, the "chum some of this *****" scene, the death in the Pond scene, etc. Jaws is my fave TOP movie, but I didn't want to list all 5 as the Top 5 horror scenes.

Some good choices there, including some of my favourites. But I have to ask; When did Donnie Darko become a horror film? I only ask because I've never seen it as a horror film (and I don't think that I ever would've) but that's what happened with Jaws It seemed as if everyone in the world had been to some meeting that I wasn't invited to, where everyone decided that Jaws was a horror film. Is the same going to happen with Donnie Darko?

Some good choices there, including some of my favourites. But I have to ask; When did Donnie Darko become a horror film? I only ask because I've never seen it as a horror film (and I don't think that I ever would've) but that's what happened with Jaws It seemed as if everyone in the world had been to some meeting that I wasn't invited to, where everyone decided that Jaws was a horror film. Is the same going to happen with Donnie Darko?
Donnie Darko I do see more as psychological film and I think it can be put under many genres including horror but Jaws is a horror classic. Ive always considered it a horror film.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Heather Matarazzo's death in Hostel:Part 2
The intestines scene with Vaughn in The Cell
Nosferatu
Dinner table scene in Alien
Opening stain glass death in Suspiria

And honorable mention to...
The microwave incident in Urban Legends
Mrs. Deagle's flight in Gremlins

I'd have to say, that as a kid, there were many scenes in Jaws that scared me from going in the ocean for a while.

There were a couple scenes in Silent Hill that were quite freaky. Although, if you go into the movie knowing they are dead already, it changes this a little.

The scenes showing what happened to the Even Horizon were freaky as well.

The Mist spiders scared the heck out of me. I hate all spiders though. Even a comedy like Eight Legged Freaks makes me itch.

The Blair Witch Project - Heather's close-up video taped confessional goodbye to her family and friends in the Maryland backwoods.

Dracula - The entrance of Count Dracula on a long staircase below a gigantic web

Evil Dead - Tree rape scene

The Exorcist - Upside down spider walk down the stairs

Final Destination - Tod Waggner becoming strangled in the bathtub by the retractable clothes line hanger