Need Help Please Read!!!

Tools    

I was wondering if anyone could help me think of this movie name. The dad brain washes his 2 kids to kill people. The dad tells them that god wants them to murder people to carry out god's will. We think that they had a secret basement in there barn where they killed people. Just focus on the idea of the dad brain washes his 2 kids to kill people because of God. Thank you everyone.

It's a great little mid-budget 2001 film called Frailty. It was directed by Bill Paxton (who also starred), in fact.

It's a great little mid-budget 2001 film called Frailty. It was directed by Bill Paxton (who also starred), in fact.

Hey Yoda,
For a funny looking little thing you sure know your movies. Frailty was a creepy one. It demonstrated how dangerous religious fanaticism is.

Hey Yoda,
For a funny looking little thing you sure know your movies. Frailty was a creepy one. It demonstrated how dangerous religious fanaticism is.
Hm, that's not the message I took from it...

WARNING: "Frailty" spoilers below
Throughout the film there are a number of strange coincidences that "protect" their work from being discovered or stopped. Some of them are downright supernatural, as well, such as the surveillance tape cutting out suddenly, for no apparent reason.

The coincidences were pretty substantial -- enough so that I thought it was pretty clear that we, the audience, were meant to assume that God was really guiding their work. And at the very least, we're certainly meant to ask ourselves whether or not He might have.

There are some other things that I think interfere with interpreting it as a cautionary tale about religious fanaticism. For one, the father doesn't really seem fanatical. He doesn't know these people or benefit from their deaths, either, so it's not as if he's perverting religion to fulfill some desire of his own, unless he has a random desire to kill. He's not inventing religious justifications to obtain power, or anything like that.

Anyway, I thought it was wonderfully shot, well-acted, and just an all-around intriguining concept.

Originally Posted by movielover
Frailty was a creepy one. It demonstrated how dangerous religious fanaticism is.
Yeah, did you even see the end of the flick (or understand it)?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ah drat Yoda. You beat me to the punch.

This was one of the films that surprised me in how good it was after I saw the DVD sitting in the cheap bin, read the back and said, "eh I'll give it a shot". Never thought much about it before hand. Watched it for the first time 5 or so months back and was like "WOW".

Originally Posted by movielover
I have to disagree with you also movielover. As it was 'Only' a movie, nothing in there noted that religion, in real life was an excuse to kill people.

As a matter of fact it really was God behind it all and not some illusion in this flick so religious fanatics they were not.

Yes, it was 'only' a movie. I never said I thought it was real or that religiion was an excuse to kill people. I just felt that the father's combination of religious fanaticism and mental illness were what caused him to kill.
In real life religiion is the cause of many wars and murder. But I won't get into that.

Yes, it was 'only' a movie. I never said I thought it was real or that religiion was an excuse to kill people. I just felt that the father's combination of religious fanaticism and mental illness were what caused him to kill.
Right, but as we're trying to explain, he didn't kill because of religious fanaticism: he killed because he truly believed God told him to, and showed him what horrible things his "victims" had done.

The film strongly implies that God was, in fact, guiding his actions, which doesn't make him a religious fanatic; it makes him right. A bit of a vigilante, to be sure, but the "fanatic" label doesn't apply if everything he believes is true.

In real life religiion is the cause of many wars and murder. But I won't get into that.
In real life lots of things are the causes of many wars and murder. Some of history's largest body counts were ordered by dictators who despised organized religion, or else tried to supplant it. This is neither here nor there, however, as Frailty isn't a warning about religious fanaticism. If anything it's suggesting that we think twice before using such labels.

Yeah, did you even see the end of the flick (or understand it)?
I think it's very rude to insult someone just because you disagree with their interpretation of a movie.

Right, but as we're trying to explain, he didn't kill because of religious fanaticism: he killed because he truly believed God told him to, and showed him what horrible things his "victims" had done.

The film strongly implies that God was, in fact, guiding his actions, which doesn't make him a religious fanatic; it makes him right. A bit of a vigilante, to be sure, but the "fanatic" label doesn't apply if everything he believes is true.

In real life lots of things are the causes of many wars and murder. Some of history's largest body counts were ordered by dictators who despised organized religion, or else tried to supplant it. This is neither here nor there, however, as Frailty isn't a warning about religious fanaticism. If anything it's suggesting that we think twice before using such labels.
Well, Yoda, I'm not going to argue or have a theological debate with you. One thing that makes life interesting is that we are all different in our peculiar little ways. Some movies are open to interpretation and yours is not the right one regardless of the fact that you seem to think it is. I am not saying that mine is either. It is a matter of opinion and I stand by mine. I will not discuss this with you any more.

Well, Yoda, I'm not going to argue or have a theological debate with you. One thing that makes life interesting is that we are all different in our peculiar little ways. Some movies are open to interpretation and yours is not the right one regardless of the fact that you seem to think it is. I am not saying that mine is either. It is a matter of opinion and I stand by mine. I will not discuss this with you any more.
There's a bit of subjectivity involved, to be sure, but not all interpretations are created equal. Some have evidence to support them, and some do not. As I (and others) have pointed out, Frailty shows us several things that indicate quite heavily that the characters within are, in fact, doing God's work. I am not aware of any evidence to the contrary in this film.

You're free to stop discussing this, of course, but I'm not sure why someone would post an opinion about a movie and then refuse to elaborate on it. I'm not sure how someone can "stand by" their opinion without actually defending it at all, either.