Lets Talk Football

Tools    

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
But I want Robbie at Celtic with Roy, the Keanes in Green!!!!
Defoe is over-rated, Mido is greedy, so he'll probably go, but Jol is a very knowledgeable man, even if all three left, I'm sure he'd bring in able replacements.
Would like to see Henry at Barca, different class.
Don't rate Eto or Drogba, they're not fit to lace Henry's boots.
Eto'o is a fantastic player, imo. Easily among the top ten strikers in the world. I can't see why Henry should leave Arsenal for Barcelona, especially not now when Arsenal apparently is one of the most succesful teams in Europe. I think he should stay where his position as the number one forward is unthreatened. He seems to enjoy playing for Arsenal as well.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I think he should stay where his position as the number one forward is unthreatened. He seems to enjoy playing for Arsenal as well.
Wages probably. Henry's what, 28 now? Which means he's due one more big contract before his stock begins to fall and Arsenal have a pretty tight wage structure. He keeps talking about his love for the club so if that's true, why not sign a contract now which will have the added effect of settling down the squad.

It wouldn't surprise me if Henry's just testing the club's resolve - he's far and away their best player so why not pay him far and away their highest wage? Figures of £25 mill have been mentioned for a transfer, but would £25 mill buy a player of his stature? I doubt it, and I havent seen the depth in their squad which will allow Wenger time to groom a young player.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Wages probably. Henry's what, 28 now? Which means he's due one more big contract before his stock begins to fall and Arsenal have a pretty tight wage structure. He keeps talking about his love for the club so if that's true, why not sign a contract now which will have the added effect of settling down the squad.

It wouldn't surprise me if Henry's just testing the club's resolve - he's far and away their best player so why not pay him far and away their highest wage? Figures of £25 mill have been mentioned for a transfer, but would £25 mill buy a player of his stature? I doubt it, and I havent seen the depth in their squad which will allow Wenger time to groom a young player.
I think that if he thinks twice about it Arsenal is the best club for him. As you said, he's 28 now and if he moves to Barcelona he runs the risk of not playing as much as he does in Arsenal - and a striker needs a lot of playtime to remain on top of his abilities. So if he can get a deal with Arsenal that he's satisfied with he can stay a couple of years into his 30's and then take a season at the time, either with Arsenal in the role that Bergkamp has now, or like Larsson, in a major European club in need of a reliable substitute for the big stars.

The only reason for him moving would be money, as you said, but I just feel (or hope maybe) that he's too clever for just following the trail of the biggest pay check. I hope he'll stay.

And tonight's Champions League night...

I say 1-1.

My team could do with a Robbie Keane. Could do with a couple of wins too while there at it.
Aston Villa are up against Man City today and I'm worried with the record we have with them.
Sorenson will have to go for us to stand a chance at winning.
Its the battle of the greasy fingered goalkeepers!

Originally Posted by Revenant
My team could do with a Robbie Keane. Could do with a couple of wins too while there at it.
Aston Villa are up against Man City today and I'm worried with the record we have with them.
Sorenson will have to go for us to stand a chance at winning.
Its the battle of the greasy fingered goalkeepers!
Heh, I didn't know you were a Villa fan!

As an ex ressie of Great Barr with a lot of friends still in the area I understand your pain - my old next door neighbour was a Villa season ticket holder who was married to a rabid Blues fan. Their garden was like a warzone on Saturday afternoons.

If it's any consolation, Man City are on a terrible run of form.

Just watched the match tonight and I think Mad Jens Lehmann is turning into one of my favourite footballers. He's Basil Fawlty reincarnated - all the guy needs is a little moustache.

Come to think of it, we don't actually need another insane German autocrat with a hairy top lip...

It wasn't a very good game now was it. I think it was good that Lehmann took the penalty kick - I didn't think it was a penalty. He was probably the best guy on the field (no squirrel this time ). Even if Villa Real deserved to win this game I think seen over two games Arsenal was the best team. It's good that the final is only one game and on neutral ground so we don't have to watch one team defending the result from the previous game.

Its a shock. Not.
Actually I shouldn't laugh at the oh so predictable result after remembering this line from the movie 'Hook'.
'When the first baby, laughed for the very first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces and went skipping about, and that's the beginning of faery's'
All those faery's are now in the Villa squad.

I think it was good that Lehmann took the penalty kick - I didn't think it was a penalty. He was probably the best guy on the field (no squirrel this time ).
Actual quote from my new favourite player on his squirrelly right back:

I shouted at it - it wasn't tackling - and it ran away

Mad Jens, I salute you!

Jens Lehmann - the man who was being booed last season for inept performances - good luck to him, good save although Riquelme wasn't going to score, you could see it in his face

also Pena, is that bolivian for hitman, poor ljungberg

I can't believe a LONDON club has made the final although it shouldn't be the gooners (says avid spurs fan and we still have a better kit) but good luck to them

On the subject of football vs soccer

Isn't American FOOTball just rugby with pads and helmets?

Football - game played with FEET and BALL

Soccer - game played with socks and her???

Now American handle and throw and carry ball would be more appropriate

Originally Posted by Dog Day Afternoon Nap
On the subject of football vs soccer

Isn't American FOOTball just rugby with pads and helmets?

Football - game played with FEET and BALL

Soccer - game played with socks and her???

Now American handle and throw and carry ball would be more appropriate
That debate's gonna run and run...

This trick is called Heading Them Off At The Pass...

The flip side, of course, is the argument that Rugby isn't as dangerous as Gridiron. I'm typing this as someone who's had an uncle killed, a brother with a broken neck and a close friend barely able to walk because of Rugby.

Horses for courses.

And congrats to Barca who made it to the final. Very entertaining game although no one scored. Dida was actually very good this time, and had some luck too. I thought Larsson would be the hero there for a while...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Bah, didn't see it - seems like Barca have had a couple of action-packed 0-0's in Europe recently

It should be a ballistic final now tho

Which, for Spurs reasons, i hope Barca clinch

(But Dog Day, seriously, you're on the kit slurs? No need for that tat man - we're beating 'em in the league )

I guess it could be seen as an advantage for us Swedes that Rooney is risking to miss the whole party this summer, but it's always really sad when one of the most exciting players don't get to play for the cup whatever the reason might be. I wonder if he will even be in the squad. I doubt it.

there's a frog in my snake oil
I guess it could be seen as an advantage for us Swedes that Rooney is risking to miss the whole party this summer, but it's always really sad when one of the most exciting players don't get to play for the cup whatever the reason might be. I wonder if he will even be in the squad. I doubt it.
Svengali says he's taking him, just in case, but it seems a bit daft. He won't be match fit. He is such a big talisman for us tho. (Ah well, there's always 2010 )

We might still do alright tho actually...

England's record since Rooney's debut...

With Rooney
P29 W17 D5 L7

Without
P8 W7 D1 L0

Ground Control To Major Thom
Lots of people that I speak to are all doom and gloom at the prospect of not having Rooney in Germany. I think they are all victims of themselves building him up as the only reason we may win the World Cup, and therefore, now more unlikely to win it. While I will admit any side that can have Rooney in it is potentially weaker not having him. refuse to subscribe to the theory that it is the end of the world.

There has already been talk of various formations and systems depending on the strength of the opposition we face. With either a midfield four of (left to right) Joe cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and another out and out striker upfront with Owen (if he is available).

What I immediately thought of and has been suggested by "experts" on television as well would be a midfield of Joe Cole, defensive midfielder, Lampard, Beckham with Gerrard in the hole behind a striker. This would be better against stronger opposition. Definitely do not play diamonds, Sven.

Speaking of Sven, the full-time adulterer -- part-time England manager, has already said he will take Rooney as part of the 23 man squad even if he is only available for the latter stages of the tournament. He said that yesterday, this of course could change depending on how the recovery goes between now and when he has to name the squad.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Call me an old fashioned Scotsman, but the English press' arrogance really gets on my nerves. Every major tournament it's the same, England only have to turn up to win it mentality, who do we want in the final, etc, coming from a team that has won one major tournament in 40 years it beggers belief.
England have some outstanding players, but in my opinion they've never had the squad depth of some of the more succesful teams like Brazil,Argentina, France etc.
Rooney is a huge blow to the English team, but to say you're taking him along for the later stages, and as a potential World Cup Final winner is a tad presumptious.
Oh well, viva Brasil for the world cup, England have Gerrard, Owen and Rooney, but Brasil have the world's greatest footballer Ronaldinho as well as Kaka, Robinho, Adriano, Juninho and Ronaldo who has something to prove.
Do English fans believe their squad is as good as Brasil, Argentina or Frances?
Sorry all english Mofo's, but this Scotsman will be supporting everyone but England come the WC. ( and yes I know Scotland haven't qualified for the last four tournaments!!! )

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

'Europe is not ready yet'
I think that Ukraine win world cup will, they sehr good at football are. I will support Germany though as they talk same speak as me. is this good reason friends?

Shame on you Dark Stujistu for supporting everyone but England!
Only kidding. I think.

The press are the enemy. They build you up then knock you down. I don't pay much attention to the press with the football. I just watch a match and decide for myself. Like Gareth Barry for left midfield! I will never stop saying that, until of course Barry bites the big one.

Sven needs to keep his eye on the game and not his, ahem, private parts in a woman.

So what do you guys think of the English squad? Are you pleased with Svennis bringing in that young kid? And Rooney?

The Swedish squad didn't have any real surprises. There were a couple of defenders that didn't make it and a few others that a bit surprisingly did. It's nice that old merits aren't enough here though. I'm glad that Johan Elmander made it into the squad. He's been standing in the shadow of Larsson, Ibrahimovic and the other forwards through the past years, but I have always liked his style. I doubt that he will get much if any playtime though. There might be an opening on the midfield if someone of the midfielders will have to fall back in the defending line, which is our major weakness.