John's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Best review you've written so far...but, for some reason, I thought you already posted one for Sin City.
Actually to tell you the truth, after that night I asked your opinion on it, I stopped writing it. I just finished it in about 30 minutes. I think it was kind of rushed. Hehe!!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Ah...that's what I remembered...falsely.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Yep very good review.

hmmm...the movie was exellent....but it took me a few minutes to get used to the acting....i must admit i almost laughed when michael madsen started talking in the first 10 minutes of the film, i was thinking jesus, w t f?! is this it?!...but i got over it in a couple of minutes.....i like the clide owen story best....or is it just clive owen's supercoolnes?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Originally Posted by adidasss
hmmm...the movie was exellent....but it took me a few minutes to get used to the acting....i must admit i almost laughed when michael madsen started talking in the first 10 minutes of the film, i was thinking jesus, w t f?! is this it?!...but i got over it in a couple of minutes.....i like the clide owen story best....or is it just clive owen's supercoolnes?
Little bit of column A, little bit of column B

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I couldn't help but notice that every review you have given has been a positive one. Do you not write bad reviews? Or do you like alot of films?

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
I couldn't help but notice that every review you have given has been a positive one. Do you not write bad reviews? Or do you like alot of films?
Well, I do like a lot of films and when ever I see a movie that's bad I don't think I should write a review on it unless I can really get my words fixed up right to describe it. Now if I was getting paid for this I relize I'd have to write bad review. Then again, I'm not getting paid.

You know, I just reread my Sin City review. Holy crap. I had no idea that I could write like that. Alright, I'll see if I can dig myself up and write a review on something. Christmas time is a boring time so I'll see what that time brings me.

I feel a little like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland… but I guess better late then never… so, great reviews Johnny… you've come a long way since your first review and I hope you're working on some new ones for us…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by susan
thanks john for the review...i want to buy this one...sorry i missed it in the theatres...now to find that book...
I missed it in theaters too. I caught it on a 19 inch monitor if you catch my drift. Anyways, I so regret not seeing this on the big screen. I will be buying this tomorrow, however, when it is released on DVD.

Sorry it took so long for a review. Working on V for Vendetta as we speak. I'm going to have fun with that one.

Memoirs of a Geisha
“A story like mine has never been told.”

Movie: Memoirs of a Geisha

Rating: Rated pg13

Director: Rob Marshall

Release Date: December 23, 2005

Cast: Ziyi Zhang, Li Gong, Ken Watanabe, and Youki Kudoh

Every now and then a piece of film waltz its way into our hearts, finds a nice warm corner, and settles there for life. Memoirs of a Geisha, with its exceptional cinematography, did this very thing to me.

There once was a place untouched by the outside world. This place was elusive, and mysterious to all outsiders, its secrets know only to the proud nation in which it was contained. And like all secrets, they last only for awhile.

This story begins on the coast of Japan when a fisherman’s wife becomes dangerously ill and he’s forced to sell his two daughters to a geisha house in the city. Upon their arrival, the two daughters are separated and this devastates the younger child, Chiyo. Chiyo’s first days are met with sorrow and confusion as she adapts to the new life spread ahead of her. Soon, she has faint hopes to become geisha, and might have to live out her life as a slave.

This is an amazing piece of work that received many mixed reviews from the critics, but put them aside and you have an enjoyable use of 2 hours. An extremely colorful film, a wonderful story, and a thought provoking soundtrack combine to make this one of my favorite films of the year. The set designs and costumes are absolutely wonderful and add an authenticity to the film like none other. It’s wonderful when you’re able to recreate a time that has long past and make an audience feel apart of that lost place.

Sayuri, Mameha, Hatsumomo
Ziyi Zhang performs quite well in her role as Sayuri, the geisha which the film is centered around. Her character finally gets a chance to escape from debt and lead a better life when Mameha enters her life. Sayuri soon begins her geisha schooling and the audience is right along side through her teachings. She does an acceptable job with her Cinderella role, giving it spirit and beauty. The combination of well acting and slender figure, make her an enjoyable person to watch on screen.

When Mameha enters Sayuri’s life, all we know is that she’s feared, well respected, and gorgeous as well. So who else better to portray this woman then the alluring actor known as Michelle Yeoh? At the age of 43, she is still dazzling, radiant, and fair. This elegant “fairy godmother” figure adds to the Cinderella essence of the film, and it’s quite enjoyable to watch.

Simply put, this film is a fascinating journey into a world that was once hidden. It has eye popping designs that resemble Japan’s ancient culture to a degree hardly reached with ease. This is a must see for those who find the Japanese culture interesting sense the movie explains some of the ways of geishas.

While parts might seem a bit slow for some, others might enjoy it with great enthusiasm. In the end, it all comes down to whether you put more weight on cinematography or acting. If you scrutinize over the latter, your enjoyment might be less then others. But the set and costume designs are enough to wow just about anybody. In my book, this film goes down as the most artistic of the year and is now a top favorite in my movie collection.