What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

Originally Posted by Sleezy
Enjoy it?

Definitely... and highly recommend it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Put me in your pocket...
Me too. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
I took my daughter to see it yesterday and we really enjoyed it.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by susan
harry potter and the goblet of fire....so far the best in the series...good performances by all
Only took four movies to get it right eh? Last movie I saw was Walk the Line. Wow, was all I could say.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Ice Harvest (2005 - Harold Ramis)

The Ice Harvest can't decide if it wants to be a comedy or a thriller, settling on neither, at a deadly dull pace. John Cusack stars as a lawyer working for the Mob in Witchita, Kansas. On Christmas Eve he and a partner in crime (Billy Bob Thornton) have just ripped off Cusack's boss for over two million bucks in cash. Before they can get out of town they have to deal with an ice storm impeding travel. That all could have been fodder for either a dark and quirky Coen Brothers type of effort or even something with a tone like Grosse Pointe Blank, or it could have been something truly dark more like Sam Raimi's A Simple Plan or a real old fashioned Noir. Instead Harold Ramis has painted it sort of as a comedy here and there, but inconsistently, and when bodies do start piling up there's no sense of jeopardy or tension. It just plugs along to the inevitable conclusion. And you need not be a huge fan of crime plots to know exactly where every double cross is coming from.

I've always liked John Cusack, and he's fine in the lead, but he's given precious little to play off of, requiring him to be the straight man while nothing much happens. The supporting cast gets even less to do. Billy Bob Thornton can be very interesting on screen, but here he's just kinda there. Connie Nielsen (Gladiator, One-Hour Photo) is asked to stand around and look pretty, and that's precisely all she does. Randy Quaid is essentially only in one scene, and he tries to add some energy and menace to his part, but by the time he gets there it's a lost cause. The only actor who gets to have some fun is Oliver Platt (Funny Bones, The Impostors) as Cusack's drunken friend who he has to tend to on this inconvenient night of larceny. A comic character piece that focused on Cusack and Platt would have had more of a chance of being interesting than this warmed over Neo-Noirish thing with no pop, few laughs and no surprises.

Director Harold Ramis has some good work to his credit (Groundhog Day, National Lampoon's Vacation, Caddyshack) but lately it's all been tepid to awful (Bedazzled, Multiplicity, Analyze That). The Ice Harvest isn't inept or insulting enough to hate, it's just a dull waste of time. Much like the previous pairing of Cusack and Thornton in Pushing Tin (1999 - Mike Newell), this movie is a forgettable disappointment that never lives up to any of its potential.

GRADE: D+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Dying Gaul (2005 - Craig Lucas)

This is The Player by way of Neil LaBute. A screenwriter (Peter Sarsgaard) sells his latest script, which is an intensely personal and very dark piece that is really about the recent death of his lover to AIDS, to a successful Hollywood studio executive (Campbell Scott) who tells him up front that he loves the screenplay but it will have to be drastically changed before it can be filmed. He agrees to the Faustian deal, and almost immediately also starts a sexual affair with the executive. He meets the man's family - two young children and a wife (Patricia Clarkson). All of their lives become intertwined, with disasterous results.

The performances are all strong, especially Patricia Clarkson and Peter Sarsgaard. But the tangled web of deceit relys on a convoluted plot device and more importantly a couple turns in character that don't really add up or feel emotionally true. The machinations of the plot, as awkward as they are at a couple key points, would be more forgiveable if the characters remained consistent. These flaws, fleeting though crucial, are unfortunate, because the actors are really doing some terrific work. But even they couldn't sell me on these important hairpin turns. As such the finale, which is pretty dark stuff, doesn't have the impact that it should. Too bad.

The first-time director, Craig Lucas, is a playwriting and screenwriting veteran (Longtime Companion, Prelude to a Kiss, The Secret Lives of Dentists), but sadly he lets himself down with a script that doesn't quite work. It's close, and the issues of betrayal and grief and hatred and sex and guilt are well examined in many respects, but all of those good points without the gaps in logic and character would have made for a picture that floored me.

It's still worth seeing, if only for Sarsgaard and Clarkson (who in the last few years have quickly become two of my very favorite actors), but it simply falls short of being the great movie it almost is.

GRADE: B-

Thanks for the reviews Pikey, i am a fan of Sarsgaard so i will go and see The Dying Gaul the other i will wait until it comes out on DVD.

Zathura

Another one of those weeks when there was nothing I was dying to see, so I saw Zathura. It's actually not a bad little movie, even a very good movie for the 8 to 12 crowd. And it's not painful for an adult to watch like some kid movies can be. It's helpful to mentally take yourself back to a younger age and forget your real age for a moment (or an hour and a half.)

The main players are two bickering brothers (ages 6 and 10) and an older sister. One minor problem I had was the two older siblings weren't very likable. Of course, that improves some by the end of the film. But I think I prefer the format of Lemony Snicket, where all the kids had true affection for each other.

The younger brother finds an old board game in the basement, he starts playing it and the adventure is under way. Their house takes off on a "wizard of oz" type galactic trip with what appears to be the rings of Saturn outside the front door. Narrow escapes from meteor showers, a rampaging robot and a race of carnivorous
pyromaniacal lizards fill the next hour. There's also an appearance
by a helpful astronaut who provides the one twist in the movie.

I suspect this is an A movie for imaginative 8 to 12 year olds, a C movie for unimaginative adults and a B movie for the rest of us.
My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

Transporter 2 - I honestly don't know why I went to see this......anyway, don't see this movie unless you like bad CGI and to be bored for 90 minutes.

Samurai Rebellion (1967 - Masaki Kobayashi)

I think I have seen every Akira Kurosawa movie ever made, most of them many multiple times. But I'm ashamed to say there are lots of other Japanese directors I simply haven't gotten around to seeing much of their work. I had seen two films by Masaki Kobayashi: Kwaidan (1964) and Harakiri (1962). I think both are great, but due to the relative scarcity of much of Koayashi's work in the U.S., I had never gotten around to seeing anything else. An oversight I will soon correct, thanks to seeing the fantastic Samurai Rebellion on the big screen last night.

What a great movie. One of the greatest actors of world cinema, Toshirô Mifune, stars as a quiet Samurai who is known as the greatest swordsman in the clan, but he has never risen to the highest ranks of his Lord's court, mostly due to his stoic nature. He has two sons and a bitch of a wife (Michiko Otsuka), a woman he was more or less forced to marry years ago and has never spent even ten minutes ever loving her, nor she him.

But his mid-level vassal's family is soon under much pressure when the Lord of the clan orders that his latest mistress, who recently bore him a son, leave the castle and marry Mifune's oldest boy (Go Katô). The rumor is that she went berzerk with jealousy over the Lord's newer mistress, attacking her and even slapping him. Because she is mother to one of only two heirs to the throne she is not killed or tortured, but essentially cast off and married to another. Mifune shows backbone against his master and tries to refuse the order, not wanting a wild woman in his house and more importantly not wanting his son to be in a loveless marriage like his. But it's no use trying to disobey. Eventually they agree and the former Lady of the castle becomes his daughter in law. As soon as they meet her (Yôko Tsukasa) they realize she is a good and gentle woman. She becomes an exceptional wife, they have a daughter together, and she and the son fall in true love with each other.

Then things get complicated. The Lord's elder son dies of illness, making his only other heir, the disfavored Yôko's child, next in line...which means she must leave the vassal's home and return to the castle as the Lord's Lady. Mifune, his son and his new daughter in law all are insulted by this turn of events and refuse. There is much poiliticking among the various levels of the clan, including Mifune's own relatives and wife, but the three stand steadfast to disobey such an unjust command, refusing to go through such emotional torment for another whim of a petty man...even if he is their Lord. Then things get bloody.

Samurai Rebellion (the Japanese title is Jôi-uchi: Hairyô tsuma Shimatsu, which translates as "Rebellion: Receive the Wife") is only two hours long, but it builds wonderfully. It's over an hour into it before the refusal of the order is formally made, and about a hour and forty minutes before the first sword is drawn in conflict. There's so much care and time spent establishing the characters with very good subtle work by Toshirô Mifune and Yôko Tsukasa especially. The tension just builds and builds. By the time they do start fighting, that too is terrific stuff. The last twenty minutes of the movie have a couple bloodbaths, including a duel of honor against the Samurai in the clan Mifune most respects (Tatsuya Nakadai) who knows Mifune is doing the right thing but finds himself obeying the rules of the society to try and stop his mentor. The last battle, with Mifune charging into the tall grass with his lone sword going against wave after wave of soldier, many with rifles, is magnificent.

I was really impressed with Masaki Kobayashi's direction. I knew from Kwaidan that he had a good visual sensibility, and together with cinematographer Kazuo Yamada they compose frame after frame of beauty in crisp black & white. The trust Kobayashi showed in the story and the actors not to rush into the dice-'em-up stuff was impressive. I can see this being remade in Hollywood, transfering the setting to the world of '30s gangsters, but condensing all the meat of the story into the first twenty minutes and having a series of shoot outs and explosions for the remaining hour and forty minutes, without having the audience feel one thing for the characters.

I loved Samurai Rebellion.

GRADE: A

*BTW, Samurai Rebellion has recently been released on R1 DVD by the Criterion Collection, available individually or in the "Rebel Samurai: Sixties Swordplay Classics" boxed set with Sword of the Beast (1965 - Hideo Gosha), Samurai Spy (1965 - Masahiro Shinoda) and Kill! (1968 - Kihachi Okamoto).

saw 2 . ... very twisted

Last film I saw was "The Ice Harvest" a couple days ago. Just waaaaay to dark of a movie. Not really much to it storywise. It's all been done before many times. A couple scenes that seemed oddly funny but not enough. Director also went a litte over top trying to imput comedy with the drunken buddy area as played by Oliver Platt. Randy Quaid had too small a part which I thought the trailer had decieved me here. Connie Nielsen was quite irritating in everypart she had.

5.5/10

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I saw Derailed yesterday...It was pretty good...Nice twist at the end...

I saw Walk the Line this weekend, it was great!