Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
There's something in the mania of Aguirre that I love. OK, he was an insane brute, but something about him appeals. I realise this is not univeral. In fact, one review I read of this one was focused entirely on how "scary" Kinski is, even in this film. Proof, if ever, that pansies shouldn't write reviews.

Thanks mister - review comments from you pack a wallop... in a good way.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
OK, he was an insane brute, but something about him appeals.
Oh…I hear you there. It’s just that, for me, Aguirre was not likeable…not like Fitzy anyway. Regardless…Kinski has a very animalistic appeal.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Thanks mister - review comments from you pack a wallop... in a good way.
Oh..hehe. I do rock, don’t I?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The People's Republic of Clogher
Thanks Cinders.

Great review of a great film.

Pure gorgeousness, start to finish. Visually, this is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen. Story-wise, it's not that simple.

On the surface, the story is about a guy who returns to a building where he loved a woman who lived across the hall, in room 2046. He is writing a futuristic story, set in the year 2046, about people who travel to a place filled with the memories they long to return to.

Interpretations of the author's intent have varied, which makes for a great conversation piece. It's been said that the central character, played beautifully by Tony Leung, is in love with a woman he once met and with whome he had a very polite affair. This was the story of the precursor to this film, In The Mood FOr Love. I'm not sure I agree that the reflections on his former relationship with Su Li-Zhen mean that she was his true love. I think it might mean that he is in love with tragic love. He wants to strain and ache and reach... and have his fingertips just brush her skirt as she walks by. I think that's what is going on with several of the characters in this film, in fact, and that WKW shows us that in their self-absorbed moments. I mean... have you EVER seen a person smoke so slowly? They moon and mope and louge and reflect til I kinda wanted to shoot at their feet and watch them dance a bit. That is not a criticism, though. I think it takes a brilliant storyteller to create characters who have flaws, and make them really compelling. WKW does this in Fallen Angels too, with the super-cool hipsters that you wind up caring about. It makes for a truer relationship between the audience and the characters, that we see their faults and get caught up in their story, all the same. To his credit, Wong doesn't take sides, and the story conveys the turmoil of the character without judgement.

Also of note in this cast are Ziyi Zhang, whose character goes through a touching metamorphosis, Li Gong and Faye Wong. You just can't take your eyes off these people.

I was a bit bowled over by it the first time through - its a lot to take in. Second viewing, I found the themes to be clearer to me and was able to get caught up in the art of it without wondering if I was losing the point. It's a beautiful film... WKW, in combination with cinematographer Christopher Doyle are a masterful team. I wouldn't recommend 2046 for people who just want something to look at while eating popcorn, but if you're looking to really get absorbed in story, theme, character and incredible visuals, he's the guy to see.

4/5

As always, thanks for reading, nebbit. By now, you must be one of the most informed readers on the boards. I notice you always take a look when someone has an opinion. It's nice!

You ready? You look ready.
Sorry I can't read it right now, but I expect a handful of reviews when I get back. See ya.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You can't go wrong with a bit of Willy Wong Kar....

Plus, Maggie Cheung's in it who, of course, is the most beautiful creature on the planet and guaranteed to make me watch any movie, however fleeting her appearance.

And boy does she fleet through 2046....

Thanks again for the review Cindy - it's reminded me that 2046 is out on DVD.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
another great review Sam . Sounds like a movie where a reviewer could have gotten too wrapped up in analyzing the film, but you kept it simple enough toget your points across clearly. Best of all, you made me really want to see this film! It will be a while before I will have the chance to watch it, but I look forward to seeing it and coming back to discuss it.

Originally Posted by John McClane
Sorry I can't read it right now, but I expect a handful of reviews when I get back. See ya.
hee! Yessir. ::salutes::

Tacitus Maggie Cheung is indeed beautiful, as are the other women in this one, each in her own way. There is scarcely a frame of this film that isn't suitable for framing. It made my eyes happy for days.

Strummer Thank you! I actually cut out a big section where I did wax philosophical about the sociology that's in this film - glad it helped focus the review. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts when you've seen it. If you haven't seen In The Mood For Love, may I recommend you see it first? They work independently, but you'll get the full impact of the second if you've seen the first.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Great review C, we have already talkes a bit about this, and I've still to see In the mood for love, but I will definetly get around to it. Hopefully it'll help me understand Tony Leung's character better.
Slight disagreement with Tacitus,IMO Ziyi Zhang is the bomb!!!
Maggie Cheung is a hot tamale too, can I have both?
A boy can dream!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
She's very pretty, but still looks too girly for me. Give her 15 years and she might approach the grace and porcelain beauty of Maggie.

But I'm probably biased.

Finally got caught up on your reviews Sammy… and as always, great job... thanks for sharing…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Great review C, we have already talkes a bit about this, and I've still to see In the mood for love, but I will definetly get around to it. Hopefully it'll help me understand Tony Leung's character better.
Maggie Cheung is a hot tamale too, can I have both?
A boy can dream!
If you see ITMFL and still don't understand Tony Leung's character, come talk to me. I know that guy. I've dated him. In fact, if you don't understand him right off the bat, take heart: it is a good sign for your future.

Darth and Tacitus~ I found it interesting how different ZZ looks from Maggie C. The other actresses seemed to me to be either cast to look a bit like Maggie, or made up to do so - making it really obvious that Leung's character is still looking for Maggie. It's a testament to how lame that pursuit is that he has Ziyi Zhang for the taking and fails to see it. I mean jeez!

Caitlyn~ thanks, chica!

sorry i haven't been keeping up with all your reviews ....but i have read them and hadn't written anything until now...thanks for two good ones...i will be sure to keep my out for them

Trevor Resnick is trapped in a self-induced, waking nightmare.
machinist
Christian Bale suffers, twitches and aches this character into life in literally painstaking detail, but balances it with a little charm here, a little humor there, and enough ill-founded hope that we are soon pulled into his gritty world and want to see him work things out. Yes, he lost a third of his body weight to play this character. But don't let that distract you from this marvellously acted performance.

The filmic elements of The Machinist come together to bring us a thought-provoking (almost profound) story. It's not a complicated story, but the emotional subject matter makes up for that. The mood is set with the employment of a very restricted, bleached-out palette, with only occasional (and meaningful) splashes of red. Director Brad Anderson makes several references to Hitchcock, and the overall feel of the piece is very classic. The score, by Roque Baños, sets a sadly mysterious tone and evokes Dark Shadows and oldtime classic horror films. All of these elements lend clarifying support to Scott Kosar's script, which is suprisingly literary, and makes reference to Kafka and Dostoyevsky.

Supporting cast features Jennifer Jason Leigh as the hooker who tries to provide safe haven to Trevor, as well as other lesser-known (in the US) but very strong actors.

I'd highly recommend this haunting film - in fact, I have been recommending it and rewatching it since I saw it two days ago. 4.5/5

thank you thank you thank you for reviewing this film...i had never heard of this until recently....i'm glad you liked the film and am looking forward to seeing it...thanks...