33rd Hall of Fame

Tools    

There Will Be Blood

My third watch and it had been quite awhile. It's a cool story and Day-Lewis' character is a total badass. I'm not sure I'm all that keen on Paul Dani here though, I just found his performance a bit grating at times. The film looks real marvelous too. It's a good film and the pacing is very well done for an almost 3 hour film. Never lose interest and that scene at the end is something else.

I agree about Paul Dano's character Eli. I am part way through, an hour in, I only have the length of a normal movie to go. The score is very good. The beginning reminds me of 2001 when we are introduced to the obelisk. I will be finishing up on Tuesday. For me right now its between Shoplifters and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. In Shoplifters, there is something about the veracity of the dialogue and the interplay between the characters of the family that really stays with me.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Told my wife I had to rent a movie on prime (Aftersun). She looked it up and now she wants to watch it with me. The deadline still the 31st?
The last I heard it was.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
An idea I had for a Hall (a general Hall technically). We see who's in, then we straw pick what genre each person nominates. So say we have 10 people, 10 genres end up being represented. Anybody like that idea or no? Or we could do decade as well.

Great, because it's hard to get us on the same schedule but I have an extra day off this weekend.
Lucky you...I bet you and your wife will both like Aftersun, almost everyone has loved it. Have you seen it before?

An idea I had for a Hall (a general Hall technically). We see who's in, then we straw pick what genre each person nominates. So say we have 10 people, 10 genres end up being represented. Anybody like that idea or no? Or we could do decade as well.
I like that idea. So how would the straw picking a genre work? Say I joined what would I do?

Lucky you...I bet you and your wife will both like Aftersun, almost everyone has loved it. Have you seen it before?
Never seen it but it was already on my watchlist, even though I still know nothing about it lol

Never seen it but it was already on my watchlist, even though I still know nothing about it lol
I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on Aftersun...and I hope you'll let us know what your wife thought of it too.

I like that idea. So how would the straw picking a genre work? Say I joined what would I do?
Just basically random as to who gets what. I'm not sure it's just an idea to spice things up a bit

Just basically random as to who gets what. I'm not sure it's just an idea to spice things up a bit
I'm digging it...and yeah we need to have some spicing up for sure. I'm a bit bored in general these days.

It could work like this, everyone who joins selects one film type/genre and PMs their choice to the host. The host could number the choices randomly, say 10 members, 10 genre choices, so each numbered 1-10. The members then randomly chose a number and whatever genre is matched to that number is their genre to chose a movie from....or something along those lines. How does that sound?

I'm digging it...and yeah we need to have some spicing up for sure. I'm a bit bored in general these days.

It could work like this, everyone who joins selects one film type/genre and PMs their choice to the host. The host could number the choices randomly, say 10 members, 10 genre choices, so each numbered 1-10. The members then randomly chose a number and whatever genre is matched to that number is their genre to chose a movie from....or something along those lines. How does that sound?
That's not too bad an idea!

There Will Be Blood

I couldn't get this to stream on my tv from the links provided (they worked on my pc, tablet and phone but not the tv) so I went to the jungle to see how much it would be to rent it and come to find out it was on sale for $4.99. Pfft. Sold! and I HATE buying digital copies of stuff.

So yeah, I really like this movie and it was the clear favorite once the nominations were revealed. I love watching great actors work. For my money DDL is the best around, has been for awhile and this is one of his best performances. He kind of walks that delicate line, especially in the final scene, of being so close to over the top that it's campy but he never quite crosses it. Watching him become Daniel Plainview is enough of a reason for me to recommend this movie.

Now Paul Dano crosse that line a bit for me at times and is the weakest part of the film. The most glaring is when he's performing his "exorcisms." But that's like saying I don't like the way Michelangelo did David's fingernails. So I prefer his character when he's TRYING to be calm and outsmart Plainview which, of course, never happens.

But there's so much more. The music and cinematography are perfect. I wish Nolan would take some cues from PTA on how to use music in film. The music is there when it's needed and not when it's not. Seems simple but somehow good directors screw it up a lot. The music enhances the scene, it doesn't take over.

This is my fourth watch and I don't know if it's going to get any better for me. I really wasn't a fan after the first watch but I bought in the second time. I won't say it's easily the best film of this HoF but it is the best film of this HoF...after The Bank Job of course.

I forgot the opening line.
@edarsenal and @jiraffejustin - about a week to go give or take. Are you two still intending to finish? You can always send a ballot in before doing your reviews.

Latest Review : Aftersun (2022)

Let the night air cool you off
Yeah, I watched God's Little Acre today and have Beau Travail lined up. I will try to see There Will Be Blood again before the deadline but I saved it for last because I've seen it enough times by now to know what I think of it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I'll finish. The usual tardiness, unfortunately. Sorry for that.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

I had been anticipating seeing this one since I was a wee tot the last time I saw it.
Firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed Bogie's rarity as a weasely paranoid, delusional character. He brings an unabashed, manic energy that hits home. In excellent counterbalance, and for me, my favorite role by Walter Huston as the grounded, clear-headed survivor. It is a very worthy win for Best Supporting Actor. I quite enjoyed his final destination in this tale of greed and its maddening grip. And kudos to Tim Holt for bringing depth to what often is a two-dimensional portrayal of the naive, kind-hearted husband and father down on his luck and willing to work hard and play fair. Director/Writer John Huston sets a gripping and engaging stage ripe with pathos, and character arcs abound.
My only critique of this timeless classic is of myself for the ungodly length of time it took me to watch it again.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Shoplifters (2018)

I ADORE this film!! So, to whoever nominated it, a truly heartfelt thank you for giving me a reason to return to it. THANK YOU!

I will repeat some of my original review since it strikes me as accurate on this recent revisit of this positive haven in a destitute situation. We learn that a family of "collectors" includes the members of this current family. Each truly cares about their fellow beneficiaries in this safe, loving, positive hovel. The entire clan also excels at the art of shoplifting as a lucrative plan to acquire necessities.
Writer/director Hirokazu Koreeda's beautifully shot, emotionally stirring, wonderfully sentimental slice of life understandably earned him numerous Awards, including Cannes' Palme D'or. Nice!
This is the kind of film I love discovering, or more appropriately, being introduced to, experiencing endeared engagement for intriguing characters on society's outer fringe. I was equally enthralled with this acquired family with genuine warmth and compassion as they skirted the law, the inevitable crashing down of justice, and my heartbreak at their court-appointed separation. And, very much like my initial viewing in the Foreign Edition of Personal Recommendation HoF, my deluge of tears upon the final scene was of equal measure, if not more. Yay.