Things that were supposed to make you happy as a kid, but hated

Tools    

That show looks even cooler/weirder than Teletubbies!

But Mr. Rogers?

Disney and childrens films in general.

All fizzy drinks and soft drinks bar water/milk/orange or pineapple juice. Or tea from the age of about 8 or 9.

Tizwaz

Having just watched this there's plenty of stuff which wouldn't fly today and could offend. Just a FYI for you.

Other kids.

Parents were always trying to take me to parties where there'd be other kids or set up "play dates" (God, I hate that term) when I was a kid. But for some reason, other kids freaked me out more than anything (probably because they could physically abuse & hurt me without any repercussions - whereas adults and older kids couldn't get away with it). I was so shy (today they call it social anxiety) that when faced with being thrust into a social situation with other kids, it sent me into something like a panic attack.

Once, my relatives planned a surprise birthday party for my mom at a friend's house. My cousin told me she was taking me to the movies (they didn't want me to blow the surprise). When I realized we weren't heading toward any movie theater I asked what was going on. That's when my cousin revealed we were going to a party and there'd be lots of other kids my age there to play with. I quietly went into panic mode.

The weird thing is the pattern was usually the same - I'd arrive, be frightened for a while, end up playing with the other kids and having a good time. Why that positive reinforcement never carried over to the next experience, I'll never know.

I think we need a childhood trauma topic, as dogs were supposed to be cool, but they scared the heck out of me as a kid. It wasn't until Caesar Milan came along that I understood them.

But back to the REAL topic of this stealth Bugaloos Appreciation Thread!

If I had been 6 when they showed up, they would be all I would have cared about - Bugaloomania!

The more I read about the show, the more interesting it gets. Bugaloos biopic needed.

Here are fellow fans The Chemical Brothers sampling the girl bug:

Other kids.

The weird thing is the pattern was usually the same - I'd arrive, be frightened for a while, end up playing with the other kids and having a good time. Why that positive reinforcement never carried over to the next experience, I'll never know.
Me too. Hated it. Never wanted to go but, more often that not, enjoyed myself. I went into what I now call 'Autopilot' and had a good time. Always tired the next day though. It took a lot out of me. Again, back then it was explained that I'd worn myself out playing (or whatever) but I can now see it was just that it took so much to hold it together and 'act normal'/'enjoy myself' that I was tired.

I think we need a childhood trauma topic, as dogs were supposed to be cool, but they scared the heck out of me as a kid. It wasn't until Caesar Milan came along that I understood them.
Dogs for me, too. I still don't like them much, but I was terrified of them as a child. Right up to adulthood actually. Probably my late 20's before I really felt comfortable with a dog I was unfamiliar with?

Me too. Hated it. Never wanted to go but, more often that not, enjoyed myself. I went into what I now call 'Autopilot' and had a good time. Always tired the next day though. It took a lot out of me. Again, back then it was explained that I'd worn myself out playing (or whatever) but I can now see it was just that it took so much to hold it together and 'act normal'/'enjoy myself' that I was tired.
Wow. That's really insightful. I never gave it much thought, but to this day, I also find any kind of large social interaction absolutely exhausting. And I guess the reason is the same - so much anxiety leading up to it, then trying to carry out a role to an "audience" (this must be how Broadway actors feel, performing the same show night after night).

Very interesting.

Wow. That's really insightful. I never gave it much thought, but to this day, I also find any kind of large social interaction absolutely exhausting. And I guess the reason is the same - so much anxiety leading up to it, then trying to carry out a role to an "audience" (this must be how Broadway actors feel, performing the same show night after night).

Very interesting.
Did you not have siblings?

The Adventure Starts Here!

Very interesting.
This is a sure sign that you're an introvert. Extroverts recharge their "batteries" by being around other people. They love it. It drains their batteries to be alone.

But we introverts recharge our batteries by being alone. So too much social interaction and we're drained and have to recover. I really need alone time pretty much every day in order to not feel weary. This is why I'm so glad I work from home... alone.

Side note: For introverts, there are close friends and family who don't drain the batteries. Interactions with these special people means a lot to introverts, but not everyone gets inside the introvert's inner circle.

Trouble with a capital "T"

Hamburgers! Kids are suppose to love em right? I couldn't stand them, not even the smell.

The Adventure Starts Here!

Hamburgers! Kids are suppose to love em right? I couldn't stand them, not even the smell.
I never liked hamburgers made at home by Mom (or anyone else, even on the grill). I always thought fast-food hamburgers were the HEIGHT of burgerdom. I gagged on the ones my Mom made.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized how much better homemade burgers are, especially at cookouts on a grill.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I never liked hamburgers made at home by Mom (or anyone else, even on the grill). I always thought fast-food hamburgers were the HEIGHT of burgerdom. I gagged on the ones my Mom made.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized how much better homemade burgers are, especially at cookouts on a grill.
The funny thing is when I was a toddler and my parents would go a hamburger joint (think mid 1960s) I had to have a deluxe cheese burger. But by the time I was in grade school no way could anyone get me to eat one. I can image that grilled hamburger is better than cooked on the stove!

Whenever this show came on I howled in pain

I hated the show also, but I'd always watch the opening so I could see the cute girl Bugaloo. Then I checked out. As for Land of the Lost I liked it to a degree but could not stand that character Cha-Ka, which was some sort of a cave-person, ape, drugged-out hippie...I don't know. Just a character that weirded me out, especially with his crush on Holly and saying things like "Cha-Ka ruv (love) Holly." I wanted that character to be eaten by one of the dinosaurs!

My first grade playground was supposed to make the kids happy, but all the equipment was in some sort of dangerous disrepair. Like the slide, which was metal (this was the 60s) and always was extremely hot as Spring came on. The pants I wore were never jeans in first grade, so I'd always get some sort of a burn sliding down that sucker. But I'd always go back because it was fun. Hot, but fun. Till the slide somehow got broken at the bottom and a sharp piece of metal stuck up and ripped my pants on the leg, and cut a few kids. This despite our complaints. They wouldn't fix it right away until enough kids complained or came home wounded and the parents got involved.

The playground also had an old-fashioned merry-go-round, like the one I will post a pic of. But this one was much larger and all the seats were made of wood. And yes, over time splinters would rise up and scratch kids. And the kids would pile on, often with several tiny kids on one seat, all the way around the thing so that it slung low at a certain turn and started digging a groove in the ground. Eventually the thing, when it hit that rut in the ground, threw kids off. Thankfully it wasn't far off the ground but still kids got scratched up when they slipped on the ground. For a lot of the class, they loved the danger of it (first-grade kids at that!) and piled on every day to see who would get thrown. I think eventually one kid might have broken an arm. Then the teachers began to sit up and take notice. None of this made me happy when I rode, nor did it make me happy when friends got thrown from it, but when you're 6 or 7 years-old, what are ya gonna do? Here's what the merry-go-round looked like, only it was about three times taller and the seats were higher off the ground, which should give you an idea of how heavy it was filled with kids and low it slung when packed down with them:

70's kid here, but playgrounds which were more dangerous than the people hanging around them your parents warned you about were still a thing here in England. All built on concrete too, just so it really hurt when it went wrong. But, that concrete was in an area of grass which was probably about the size of a football field. Well done planners.

We also had a metal slide which, during a hot summer, could be very uncomfortable but, frankly, it was worse when it was really cold as you squeaked as your skin stuck to it..

70's kid here, but playgrounds which were more dangerous than the people hanging around them your parents warned you about were still a thing here in England. All built on concrete too, just so it really hurt when it went wrong. But, that concrete was in an area of grass which was probably about the size of a football field. Well done planners.

We also had a metal slide which, during a hot summer, could be very uncomfortable but, frankly, it was worse when it was really cold as you squeaked as your skin stuck to it..
In kindergarten, a kid pushed me off of the top of a high sliding board.

In first grade a kid jumped down from monkey bars onto my head, (I was trying to protect a sand castle I'd built and the kid was trying to destroy it).

In second grade I broke both bones in my forearm falling off monkey bars & doing a nosedive onto cement while playing "chicken" with another kid.

In third grade that same kid knocked out my front teeth as we were sitting down, in a line on the playground doing sit-ups during gym - someone's timing was off: he, apparently, sat back up as I was crunching forward.

So I can relate about playground (plus you get a little more insight why I didn't like to be around other kids)!