Afram Latibaer (1997)

→ in
Tools    

Hong Kong action film buff.
Afram Latibaer is the stage play based on the same book with the same name written in 1996 by Magnus Scheving that started up the LazyTown franchise when Nickelodeon bought the show in Sep. 2003, making the iconic show we all know and love. But where did it all start..??

LazyTown's mayor, Baejarstottin is probably the most active man in the town, hoping for a better living situation where the kids in the town do anything else. But he is super sad about the problems the kids have, and in comes Sportacus, Ipprotallfurinn who starts telling the Mayor he can spread the news to the residents and stuffs.

So then once he goes around telling the kids what they do wrong, after they all sing a song about them for some reason. Pretty good songs, I am not complaining. Mani Svavarrson is a musical legend. All the kids have a problem:
  • Stina Telephone: A smoking telephone gossiper.
  • Stephanie Splitz: An aspiring dancer.. with stiff bones.
  • Ziggy Zweets: A boy who wants to be like Superman (Iprottalfurinn calls him soggy bread) but eats a LOT of candy.
  • Stingy Spoilero: A boy with a big tie who claims every single thing he sees and has sharing problems.
  • And a lot more.

They enter a race against Storbaer, and the night before Sports Day, two Storbaer kids try to steal the trophy, but since Lolli Logga (Officer Obtuse) is active now, he can catch them and get them away.

They win the race.

So, I liked Afram Latibaer. It had very vibrant colours (which annoyed me) and was different from the stage plays of it's time. Of course, the clothes styling did want to make stop watching, and I felt like if the film was longer, we could've learnt more about Ipprottalfurrin. Luckily, this problem is resolved in the 1999 sequel which is about 25 minutes longer.

Again, this is a pretty good play, but if you want better versions of the songs, listen to 'LazyTown: The Album'. And if you want a better version of the exact same movie you just watched, watch Season 1, Episode 3 of LazyTown: 'Sports Day'.