Who's the greatest Director of the 21st century?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Ryusuke Hamaguchi & Eugène Green

Next time you want to ask obvious questions, try Google.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Googling something is so passé. The obvious answer is to get AI to answer the question.

Here you go:

There's no single, definitive answer to who the "greatest" film director of the 21st century is. Film is an art form, and what makes a director great is subjective. Here's some info to help you form your own opinion:
  • There are many directors working today who are critically acclaimed and influential. Some of the most frequently mentioned names include Christopher Nolan, Alfonso Cuarón, Paul Thomas Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, and the Coen brothers.
  • You can find lists of notable directors online, including IMDb's list of Greatest Directors of the 21st Century: [invalid URL removed] and MovieWeb's Best Directors of the 21st Century: https://movieweb.com/best-directors-...-21st-century/.
  • These lists will give you a starting point to explore the work of different directors and decide who resonates most with you. Consider factors like a director's unique style, their critical acclaim, and their box office success.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, asking AI or members of this forum - little difference.

Yeah, asking AI or members of this forum - little difference.

I haven't seen First Man, but I've also heard polarizing things. Not as polarizing as Babylon, but still.
Polarizing? It has an average rating of 8.10 on RT, with an 87 percent fresh meter...

The trick is not minding
Ryusuke Hamaguchi & Eugène Green

Next time you want to ask obvious questions, try Google.
You just missed a chance to mention Breen and failed. Shame on you!

I haven’t watched any Breen yet

Polarizing? It has an average rating of 8.10 on RT, with an 87 percent fresh meter...
I didn't know its IMDb rating or RT score. I said I *heard*, which meant more the regular audiences I interact with. I mean, we just got a sample of it...

I personally don't find Damien Chazelle's output very consistent. First Man was extremely dull.
First Man is one of my favorite Chazelle movies. It's very quiet and on the surface not the most eventful, but it creates a really strong character portrait in showing what Neil Armstrong was going through as he decided to embark on this adventure. It's one of Ryan Gosling's finest performances as well, subtly drawing us into Armstrong's mind much like he did in Drive. I highly suggest you give it a look.

I didn't know its IMDb rating or RT score. I said I *heard*, which meant more the regular audiences I interact with. I mean, we just got a sample of it...
These ratings sites are often misleading anyway. As always, just because something is extremely popular doesn't mean it's of more value than something less popular rated lower.

Chazelle's filmography is very, very Hollywood. He's good at what he does. But what he does is very one dimensional and geared up towards mainstream cinema (I've not seen Babylon though). I'd not rate him anywhere near a list of top 5 directors this century.

Whoever it is, Ill assume they probably aren't American.

If it has to be an American, Villeneuve is a more than fair answer. I don't even know who my actually pick would be though. Andrew Bujalski? Definitely not a great answer, but it's all I'm coming up with. Probably forgetting some obvious ones.

Isn't he Canadian? Or do you mean North American?

That's right, I forget that. As a Canadian, it's always hard to process when a director from here finds huge success. Just like with Jim Cameron. It creates a cognitive dissonance.

That's right, I forget that. As a Canadian, it's always hard to process when a director from here finds huge success. Just like with Jim Cameron. It creates a cognitive dissonance.
You just wait until Guy Maddin explodes on the mainstream!!

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Ineligible. He directed his debut feature in 1992.

Uwe Boll transcends time and space

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140