Last Chance...Film Noir HoF V

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Oh yeah, I knew you weren't complaining about it, I just wanted to talk about it Anyway I'm a huge fan of Wilder. I've seen a lot of his work and been impressed by most of all of it. I should check out more of his work, will maybe after the noir countdown is over.
Wilder is one of my favorite all time directors. Love his films!

I forgot the opening line.

The Night of the Hunter - 1955

Directed by Charles Laughton

Written by James Agee
Based on the novel "The Night of the Hunter" by Davis Grubb

Featuring Robert Mitchum, Shelley Winters, Lillian Gish, James Gleason, Evelyn Varden
Peter Graves, Don Beddoe, Gloria Castillo, Billy Chapin & Sally Jane Bruce

The first time I watched The Night of the Hunter I was unaware of it's fairy tale quality, and wasn't expecting the sojourn into expressionism and religious analogy - my mind was primed for a straightforward serial killer thrill ride. As far as Robert Mitchum is concerned, I'd grown up with his Max Cady in Cape Fear and seen him menace Dean Martin with his other preacher-killer Reverend Jonathan Rudd in 5 Card Stud. He outdoes them both here, with Harry Powell one of his crowning achievements performance-wise - but I was thrown by how unusual this movie is. Going into it again, fully forewarned and ready to embrace the enchanting, lyrical quality it has made for a thrilling experience. It has some of the best visual moments in the history of cinema as far as the use of silhouette goes, and one of the cutest little girls I've ever seen in a movie - little Sally Jane Bruce, whose facial expressions are quite simply adorable enough to make me melt.

The film itself features serial killer turned faux-preacher Powell (Mitchum) finding out about a $10,000 cash stash waiting at the home of Ben Harper's (Peter Graves) family, while in prison. A family that consists of mother Willa Harper (Shelley Winters), young John (Billy Chapin) and little Pearl (Sally Jane Bruce). Once out, Powell heads for the small town they live in, ingratiates himself with the locals, and soon persuades Willa (whose husband has since been hanged for murder) to take him on as a supposedly caring husband. Shortly after marrying him, Willa discovers that he's a cruel man - intent on twisting her psyche to match his before dispatching her and working on finding out the money's hiding place from the two kids, who promised their father they'd never tell. The kids flee in a boat, and Powell hunts them down across a great distance before the kids find refuge with Rachel Cooper (Lillian Gish) - a finder and protector of lost children. Will she be able to withstand this killer's psychotic rage and determination?

One time director Charles Laughton, cinematographer Stanley Cortez and art director Hilyard M. Brown do wonderful work with this film, creating angular sets surrounded by darkness, using shadow to great effect in providing Powell with a great sense of menace, and especially making fearful images with the use of silhouette. It all combines in a film noir way that also gives us a sense that this is a fairy tale in full motion - everything stripped back to it's bare elements. Cortez described his work with Laughton on the film as him having a tremendous feeling of "sympatico" with the director - and it's clear everyone was on the same page for what was required. Every shot has it's aim which is squarely achieved to the highest degree of impact, and there are images that chill - such as when the shadow of Powell's head appears next to John in the children's bedroom. That's the first moment the two children become aware of the evil presence that will soon be haunting their lives - the "preacher" just "passing by" a lamp, stalking his prey.

The Night of the Hunter also has some chilling moments I would never have expected a mid-50s film to have - for example that amazing under-water shot of the dead Willa Harper, her hair wispily flowing in the river current. Her eyes closed and puffy face impossibly still - still stuck in the car that's been submerged with her. Or the phallic symbolism which just explodes onto the screen as Harry Powell sits watching the exotic dancer onstage, and we see his switchblade jut upwards, the erect blade tearing through the pocket it's in. To Powell, arousal means something to be stifled - not within himself, but via the eternal stillness the subject of arousal will maintain after he's "quietened" her with his knife. We begin the movie itself by seeing the still legs of his latest victim, discovered by children who will no doubt be forever traumatized by their discovery. Powell's switchblade will become a recurring motif throughout the film - a symbol of his presumed power, small but no less deadly.

One aspect of the story I don't fully connect with though - mostly through ignorance of the subject matter - are the Biblical connotations it has, and although direct references are made and explained to us throughout, I've heard that reading certain chapters of the Bible make it all clearer. It's a two-sided street, for Powell himself uses religion to prey apon unsuspecting people who are forever trustful of a man purporting to be one of faith. The famous quotation “Beware of false prophets which come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly they are ravening wolves," comes from Christ himself in Matthew, and Lillian Gish's Rachel Cooper reminds us of not only that, but of the special place children, and their ability to abide, have in the Christian faith. I find it often depends on who's viewing it as to how it's seen - the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cheyenne denied the film's release, even though the message I see in the film is a very positive one. It's all a matter of perspective.

Apart from all that, this is a film experience that has to be seen to be appreciated, as it tells it's story very much visually - and it brings forth some utterly unforgettable and enduring imagery. On it's surface it feels like a familiar fairy tale - with two lost children being chased by the big bad wolf in sheep's clothing across the land until they find refuge with a kindly old lady who protects them and tells them tales of scripture. (I can't forget to add the infuriating Icey Spoon (Evelyn Varden), who the wolf tricks so easily.) Under it's surface it's full of allegory, film noir visual brilliance, and a filmmaking technique from Charles Laughton that I wish we'd seen some more of. At times it feels like your ordinary every-day crime drama, until the night falls and the shadows increase in length - and we're once again hedged in by darkness, Robert Mitchum's daunting visage never far away from pouncing on those unaware of who he really is - a monster based on real-life serial killer Harry Powers, who murdered those victims that had the misfortune of answering his "lonely hearts" advertisements. A real monster hidden in the dark shadows of our collective fear.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I watched Sweet Smell of Success again last night, still finding it just as fun to watch and full of smart and snappy dialogue - all great film noir classics from this era have that coolness about them. Great music from Elmer Bernstein throughout. I was struck by how unusual it was for both Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster to both be playing such slimy lowlifes as Sidney Falco and J. J. Hunsecker - great performances though. Alexander Mackendrick didn't make many other great films after this - but when you've got one as great as Sweet Smell of Success on your resume, you can pretty much retire with your immortality assured. This may not have been a big hit on release, but it's widely regarded as a great film now - and I definitely concur with that opinion. I've reviewed this in a previous Hall of Fame, so I'll post that previous review below :

Sweet Smell of Success - 1957

Directed by Alexander Mackendrick

Written by Clifford Odets
Based on a novelette by Ernest Lehman

Starring Tony Curtis & Burt Lancaster

Sweet Smell of Success languished at the box office, and Walter Winchell celebrated. "...Hecht, Hill & Lancaster, the sponsers, will lose a half million dollars on it..." he wrote in his column with obvious relish. He was giddy when he made a correction that : "...it will lose over $2,000,000. Well, leddit be a lesson. Never fool aroun' wid da press." What he didn't know was that this film wouldn't be forgotten, as he was. Not only that, but Sweet Smell of Success would go on to define Walter Winchell, the gossip columnist whose approval was needed to gain entry to the world of fame and fortune many years ago. In 1950 former publicity writer (and great screenwriter) Ernest Lehman wrote a story that was published in Cosmopolitan called "Tell Me About It Tomorrow" about a ruthless, twisted gossip columnist called J.J. Hunsecker which was based on Winchell and the power he wielded. Unflattering, it was adapted for the screen as the aforementioned film and is what Winchell is remembered as. Hunsecker. Somewhat corrupt, incestuous and power-hungry - a contemptable man. The quality of this film kept it alive, despite it not finding an audience in it's day.

We follow Tony Curtis as press agent Sidney Falco, constantly on the move and making moves. His attempts to get a client mentioned in J.J. Hunsecker's gossip column have failed, as he's been unsuccessful in doing a favour for Hunsecker (who is played by Burt Lancaster) that he promised to do, that of breaking up a romance between Hunsecker's sister Susan (Susan Harrison) and jazz guitarist Steve Dallas (Martin Milner). The film explores the murky waters of this kind of journalism, and the lies, dirty tricks and lack of morality at it's heart. Falco is willing to do almost anything to succeed in this business, perhaps even sell his soul, and Hunsecker outdoes even him in his lack of scruples. Susan is a good person, but not strong and forthright - she wants to marry Steve, but finds herself a pawn in a game played between Falco and Hunsecker. Steve is proud and honest, but will prove himself to be just as self-righteous and pig-headed as Hunsecker, and lacks the clout to play the game as he does - for J.J. has the police in his pocket, and the likes of senators who want to stay in his good grace. From Hunsecker's almost incestuous obsession with his sister to Falco's career and Susan's potential marriage and happiness, there's a lot on the line. People's love, livelihoods and their very beings.

This film and it's greatness comes from a confluence of talent in front of and behind the camera. Production company Hecht, Hill and Lancaster seem to have been just independent enough to hire the right people and adapt a script that larger studios might have seen as too risky. In the end, the larger studios would have been right and wrong. They didn't have much to fear from Walter Winchell, but the film didn't find an audience, despite it's quality. People seem to have wanted to see Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster as handsome heroes rather than the slimy people they are in this film. However, Curtis appears to be relishing his role as the underhanded Falco, contrasting his soft good looks with lies, deception and a lack of morals. There's something about him though, that puts us on his side a little bit, and that's probably his contrast with Lancaster's Hudsecker. Lancaster oozes contempt for anyone that isn't his sister, and his love for Susan comes out in an uncomfortable manner in their major scenes alone together. The two leads nearly blot out most of the other actors in the film, such are their magnetic presence on the screen. Lancaster gets the added edge of his character being built up for the first 20 minutes of the film. We see his picture over his column in the newspaper, and hear all manner of things about him, before we finally meet him - Sidney Falco biting his fingernails at the prospect of locking horns with this media titan.

Ernest Lehman had introduced the characters of Sidney Falco and J.J. Hudsecker in two short stories for Collier's and Cosmopolitan before getting the inspiration to use them in the much larger "Sweet Smell of Success" (retitled by Cosmipolitan to "Tell Me About it Tomorrow" before the film shifted the title back.) Hecht, Hill and Lancaster wanted Lehman to adapt the screenplay after they optioned the film, and Lehman enthusiastically agreed, enthused after the production company had great success with Marty. The stress of facing Winchell's wrath again, not to mention working for the demanding Burt Lancaster (HHL wanted Lehman to also direct) grew to such proportions though, that Lehman fell ill, and scriptwriting duties were taken over by screenwriter and playwright Clifford Odets. Odets rewrote the script a dozen times, adding interesting lingo, enjoyable phrases (just count how many different animals Falco is compared to - and the self-referential remark Falco/Odets makes about animals and writers) and crafting a fascinating film, full of jazz, New York and Broadway style. The script is dynamic, keeping us moving at a frantic pace but never losing us. It was worked on and improved as the film was shot - and it bites like words of true belief and inspiration coming at moments of epiphany.

Director Alexander Mackendrick meanwhile, U.S. born but raised in Scotland where he'd built a career around directing Ealing Studios films, was brought onto the film replacing Lehman's second role as director. Mackendrick had never before made a film in the United States, but this didn't stop him creating what is probably his greatest film - even surpassing that of The Ladykillers which he directed two years prior to this in the U.K. His thoughtful and intelligent direction was perfectly matched to a very thoughtful and intelligent script and he works well with Curtis, Lancaster, Harrison and scriptwriter Odets. He makes an impact immediately in the film by accurately capturing New York streets in a way nobody had prior to this. Credit also has to go to venerated cinematographer James Wong Howe here. A veteran with work going back to cinema's silent era, Howe had been a trailblazer who had solved vexing problems, such as showing eyes in a more natural darker tone by reflecting large black surfaces off of them. Howe's work on Sweet Smell of Success is often noted, especially with respect to the darker shadowed noir aspects to some scenes, but also various dolly shots in Jazz night-spots, restaurants and theatres. He'd also pioneered deep focus camera techniques, and taking the film as a whole you can appreciate all of the outdoor work he did, not to mention his coordination with Mackendrick's blocking while four or five characters vie for attention in busy, frantic scenes.

The somewhat Jazz-influenced aspects to the film are helped by an excellent score from Elmer Bernstein - his Jazz work a few years previously on The Man With the Golden Arm held him in great stead. It's one of the most impressive and exciting I've heard, and was the origin of one of my favourite end-credits musical numbers - that for Lipstick on Your Collar. Here he ramps it up, which really propels us through what is already a blistering story, making most things sound urgent and portentous. Bernstein is on the verge of some of his most well-known scores here, for example those for The Magnificent Seven and The Great Escape - and his work on Sweet Smell of Success paved the way for a film that truly excels in all areas. Help is provided by Chico Hamilton's quartet, giving an on-screen veneer to the Jazz feel of the entire film and providing a little of the music themselves. If you look closely, you can see where a stage-hand is cleverly giving Martin Milner a hand (literally) with fret-work as he plays guitar in his music scenes. Certain Jazz riffs accompany characters in their own way, and correspond with the mood of the character at the time in a most enjoyable manner.

Walter Winchell's possessive relationship with his daughter, and his way of dealing with one of her suitors by ruining him and running him out of the country provides a snapshot of how this film focuses on the way JJ. Hunsecker abuses his power and claims ownership over his sister. One other nice corresponding link involves the amount of talent who were caught up in McCarthy's Red Scare from the late 1940s through the 1950s (Clifford Odets and Elmer Bernstein to name just a few) and the fact that Winchell had a hand in that affair also. Yet despite all of this existing outside of the film as it is, it has to be strongly noted that the film by itself is a brilliant work of art without all of the tangential connections and corresponding meaning in the real world. If there had been no Walter Winchell, this would still be an important, meaningful and great film. The performances, (especially from the two towering leads) direction, camera-work, score and script all combine at a high point for all involved, and mesh perfectly. It was the film that Mackendrick used when teaching at the California Institute of the Arts to future hopefuls (some of whom have gone on to have huge careers in film) and one that gathers more prestige and note as the years go by. Nowadays, this film is the reason people become aware of Walter Winchell, which means it has had the last laugh after all.

I watched Double Indemnity again last night - always an enjoyable undertaking. It's almost the ultimate film noir masterpiece, with a perfect screenplay full of crisp and witty dialogue, a pounding and thumping score, a trio of great performances from Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson plus peerless direction from Billy Wilder. I particularly notice how rapid the fire of dialogue is in this film - while at the same time being clear, cool and very clever. I don't think I've ever leveled any criticism at it, but if there was one very small thing it's Barbara Stanwyck's wig - it distracts me a little, and doesn't suit her - but then again, it does help to give her an air of being a phony, so perhaps it's doing exactly what it's meant to be doing. Anyway, below is a review I wrote around 18 months ago. It's an extraordinarily long one - I guess there's a lot to talk about when it comes to Double Indemnity :

Double Indemnity - 1944

Directed by Billy Wilder

Written by Raymond Chandler & Billy Wilder
Based on a novel by James M. Cain

Starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson
Jean Heather & Byron Barr

It was that time of night. Free and easy time. Time to kick back. Time to watch a picture. But which picture? I needed a picture that had everything. Murder. A gorgeous girl. Betrayal. Money. A Billy Wilder picture. Double Indemnity. And baby, that picture purred like a kitten. It hit like a champ. It had all the bells and whistles and rang a blew them to Sunday and back. That's as good a time as any to segue into some kind of normality here (as opposed to Raymond Chandler-inspired dialogue) and say that Double Indemnity is a classic that still packs a punch today, and is every bit as enjoyable as another Wilder classic I love - Sunset Boulevard. These films did more than inspire countless other film noir classics, they helped to define the genre itself and stand as a testament to the man's filmmaking ability. They're my kind of film noir - never becoming needlessly convoluted or complex. Films that have a perfect balance between the visual, auditory and story aspects of what they have to offer.

Double Indemnity starts with Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) staggering in to his insurance company offices and confessing into a dictaphone - admitting that a recent accident claim involved no accident, but murder, and addressing his close friend and coworker Barton Keyes (Edward G. Robinson). The confession takes us back to Neff visiting the Dietrichsons to try and renew an automobile policy for a Mr. Dietrichson (Tom Powers) but coming into contact with his wife, Phyllis Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck) instead. Phyllis is dressed only in a towel, and immediately there's sexual chemistry between them - on subsequent visits Neff learns how disaffected Phyllis is with her marriage, and he finds a real world outlet for something that's often on his mind - a way to cheat his own insurance company on a phony claim for life insurance. He thinks he knows it all, and also knows the mind of his friend Keyes well enough to pull it off. He decides taking out a double indemnity clause on Mrs. Dietrichson's husband would benefit them further, and that he can arrange an "accident" on a train that'll pay off double. Neff and Phyllis pull off the murder, but Nef later learns something from his lover's daughter, Lola (Jean Heather) that leaves him with the uncomfortable feeling that he's been played for a fool.

The twists and turns in Double Indemnity are hard to lay out neatly, but when measured up they do fit ever so neatly together. It's one of those very rare movies that I can only sum up as being perfect - inasmuch as there is not one small criticism I can level at it. Every aspect of the film distinguishes itself in a way that's perfect for the other parts, and defined the newly emerging genre of film noir. From the very start, the film confronts us visually with dark shadows and foreboding blackness seeping from every corner. As soon as we hear MacMurray's Neff talk into the dictaphone we notice that his dialogue is crisp, clever and has an edgy wit about it that became common to the genre and was a trademark of screenwriter Raymond Chandler. From the opening credits we get to hear the powerful main theme from Miklós Rózsa's score. The story, adapted from a James M. Cain novel, is hard-boiled and murderously sordid and dark. Director Billy Wilder, in the meantime, was as perceptive and ingenious as ever. Fred MacMurray (playing against type), Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson give performances that are close to their very best. It all adds up to a film that has become one of the great classics.

To help produce the optic style of this early noir film, Wilder had the best cinematographer at Paramount to help him. John F. Seitz pushed the film's obsession with dark shadows to it's limits, and included interesting touches such as the shadows of venetian blinds often falling across our characters like prison bars, and simulating visible dust particles in beams of light by using small filings of aluminum that would show up clearly on film. They both wanted to push the film towards a kind of German Expressionistic style, with light and shadow playing a prominent part in many shots. Although Wilder was often a director who preferred simplicity in his shots, there is some nice work here - for example, the shot at the beginning of the film where we follow Stanwyck's Phyllis down the stairs, catch sight of her ankle bracelet which had been mentioned earlier, and follow her around the corner to Neff where we see both characters in a mirror. The shots are full of sharp camera angles. The blocking is interesting, and notable (Citizen Kane and The Rules of the Game coming just a few years previously) is the deep focus used at times - for example in a scene at Neff's apartment where both Phyllis and Keyes appear, Neff trying to hide the former. All of this cinematography is wonderful to watch, even nearly 80 years after the production.

Adding to that is a score from Miklós Rózsa which I absolutely loved - and when it comes to films from this era, I'm often a little overwhelmed and distracted by film scores. This is one that stays with us, in perfect rhythm, and feels like a real musical representation of what's happening. There are the usual cues, but all of them feel right (take the one where Neff opens a door to see Keyes standing when he's expecting Phyllis - there's a momentary, split-second instrumental reaction that feels like it originates in our own mind.) In the meantime, we keep returning to that great main theme which keeps at us relentlessly through the whole film, but always sounds different depending on what's happening. Parts have been adapted from Cesar Franck's 'Symphony in D' - composed in 1888 - a piece of music that sounds like a film score for a noir movie in itself. All of this makes for an edgy, moody score that has a great amount of power behind it when it needs to have it. It's one of the best scores I've heard from this period of cinema, and works with the other aspects of this film in perfect unison.

Fred MacMurray was used pretty much exclusively for lighthearted romantic comedies at the time this was made, and had to be persuaded over a period of time to accept the role - which he thought might be a big mistake for all involved. It is without doubt my favourite MacMurray performance, and has to go down as just about his greatest film. He has all the appearances and sound of being the cool, easy going, stylish insurance salesman who, as the film goes on, gets further and further out of his depth. Barbara Stanwyck, in the meantime, comes to us in an outrageously 'fake' wig, appearing every part the superficial and phoney person who just wants to use people for her own benefit. Often mentioned is the transformation she makes during the last few minutes of her life, when she realises she just might love Neff after all. Her role in this film solidified her as an actress of great ability, and she won an 'alternate' Oscar in Danny Peary's Alternate Oscars book. Jean Heather and Byron Barr are both solid as Lola Dietrichson and Nino Zachette respectively.

It's important to note though, that this film is a love story between two men - MacMurray's Neff and Edward G. Robinson's Keyes, who share a deep and abiding bond working together. At several times during the film Neff declares his love for Keyes, and Keyes admits how close they are during the film's closing moments. It's Neff's constant daydreaming about Keye's ability to sniff out insurance fraud that leads him to become obsessed about how he could possibly be fooled. The entire film is Neff's confession to Keyes, which in hindsight is a sad reflection of a betrayal - but that doesn't alter the fact that the bond between them is probably unbreakable. They share many scenes together, Robinson really getting to the heart of matters with his easy manner. Keyes never suspects Neff, simply because he's too close to him to suspect him. When Neff tells Keyes that he probably never would have suspected someone working just a few feet away from him, Keyes tells him that it was someone, "Closer than that."

Other than all of that, this film has a great many memorable moments, such as the one where, after dumping the body of Mr. Dietrichson on the train tracks, their getaway car fails to start. If that car doesn't start, then they'll be surely caught, so the anxiety builds and builds as they try to start it. This wasn't in the initial script, and only came into the film when, after shooting that very scene, Wilder's car failed to start leaving the studio, after which the idea hit him and they reshot it with that added event. Moments of suspense are commonplace as Neff or Phyllis are nearly caught, whether it be by an unfortunate witness to the action on the train, or by Keyes as he makes an unannounced visit to Neff. Even when Phyllis and Neff meet at a grocery store, we're on edge lest they be discovered talking and conspiring together. When Mr. Dietrichson unknowingly signs the life insurance form Neff could be caught. Or else there's watching Stanwyck's face as her husband is being killed in the car seat next to her. We're always engaged and in suspense.

The original novel has been adapted perfectly, and there has been much changed. In the novel Neff and Phyllis commit suicide together by jumping into shark-infested waters, and Phyllis turns out to be something of a homicidal maniac - having needlessly killed many patients when she was a nurse. In the film she only ever killed the original Mrs. Dietrichson so she could marry her husband. The dialogue has also been greatly reworked, which was key, because the dialogue we get in this adaptation is one of the great things about the film. It was a novel that was at first thought to be unfilmable due to the Hays Office objecting to many of the more sordid elements in it - and it took a number of years before Paramount decided to move ahead despite the Hays Office objecting. It was exactly the right move, with nobody objecting once the film was in production. There were initial worries about the infamous 'towel' scene, and the scene were Mr. Dietrichson's body is dumped on the tracks - but in the end we were thankfully allowed the wonderful film we got.

I was pleasantly surprised when I first watched Sunset Boulevard, for in spite of that film's solid reputation, I thought it's age and plot might conspire to make it fall short in my own estimation. Instead it turned out to be one of the best I've ever seen. Exactly the same goes for Double Indemnity, which I thought might have one of those labyrinthine film noir plots - but instead I thought the film was great, and perfect in around about every way. On top of that, I'm a fan of MacMurray, and respond well to Barbara Stanwyck. I find Double Indemnity to be one of those films that feels as fresh today as it would have back when it was made - and such must surely be a timeless piece of work. I was in a great deal of suspense while watching it, and Billy Wilder had me just where he wanted every audience member to be. I've responded so well to this film that it has me eyeing up film noir as a genre that might be more to my liking than I ever imagined. The film's focus on the love between two male friends and workmates also pleasantly surprised me for how unusual, interesting and satisfying it was. I've had a great time getting to know it, and I can feel that it's going to be a film I can watch time after time - especially to hear that dialogue delivered by all involved. "Pretty, isn't it?"

The trick is not minding
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

The films starts with a runaway girl, captured and brought back to her overbearing and demanding aunt. In a final act of defiance, the girl murders her aunt, thinking she’ll be free, but in truth, creates another prison of sorts for herself.

Fast forward to 18 years. This girl has married the only witness, a boy whose father had already suspected the truth and used it to their own advantage.
All seems well, to the casual observer, but the guilt and the stress of being in a unloving marriage has eaten away at the young man, now a DA. He drinks often, and a lot.

One faithful night, an old friend of the woman, a young boy who helped her escape the last time and who himself was also in the house at the time of her aunts death, returns to the town. He meets a girl, who’s later thrown in jail for trumped up charges and he decides to visit his old friend the DA for a favor. Suspicious, the DA and his wife suspect he has arrived to blackmail them.

Without going too far into this story, it does a great job of showing how they bring about their own demise by miscalculation and assumption. The whole mess could have been avoided, but proves to the their undoing when things escalate.

A young Kirk Douglas was lays the DA, struggling with his guilt, and is perhaps the best performance in the movie, second only to Van Helflin as the man who inadvertently gets mixed up in this.
Douglas is able to convey both sadness and a weariness to his character that almost makes one pity him.

Van Helflin is also pretty great in his role. The streetwise gambler wandering from town to town with suspicion following him where ever he goes, only to end up back at his own hometown, where it all began. But even he has morals.

Stanwyck is kind of weak in this film. Far too subdued for my liking, bit like her performance in Double Indemnity.

Great pick, and one I’ve opened for a few years is and has been meaning to watch.

I watched Double Indemnity again last night - always an enjoyable undertaking. It's almost the ultimate film noir masterpiece, with a perfect screenplay full of crisp and witty dialogue, a pounding and thumping score, a trio of great performances from Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck and Edward G. Robinson plus peerless direction from Billy Wilder. I particularly notice how rapid the fire of dialogue is in this film - while at the same time being clear, cool and very clever. I don't think I've ever leveled any criticism at it, but if there was one very small thing it's Barbara Stanwyck's wig - it distracts me a little, and doesn't suit her - but then again, it does help to give her an air of being a phony, so perhaps it's doing exactly what it's meant to be doing. Anyway, below is a review I wrote around 18 months ago. It's an extraordinarily long one - I guess there's a lot to talk about when it comes to Double Indemnity :
It might be my favorite noir. Everything was perfect. Chandler's dialogue was memorable. I liked that he had a small cameo appearance near the beginning of the film when Neff is exiting Keyes' office. Chandler is seated outside the door as Neff passes.

And Stanwyck's wig was pretty bad. Once Wilder realized the bad choice, too much of the film had already been shot. Wilder claimed that it was one of the biggest mistakes of his career, although he later claimed he used the bad wig to make Stanwyck look cheap. I think it was simply bad judgement-- the only instance in the film.

Double Indemnity
According to Ebert, "Double Indemnity” has one of the most familiar noir themes: The hero is not a criminal, but a weak man who is tempted and succumbs. His weakness gets him in over his head. As they say in the film the two main characters are stuck on the train, together, until the end of the line (The graveyard). I thought the filming, directing, and the acting was all very good. One of my favorites so far.

Double Indemnity
According to Ebert, "Double Indemnity” has one of the most familiar noir themes: The hero is not a criminal, but a weak man who is tempted and succumbs. His weakness gets him in over his head. As they say in the film the two main characters are stuck on the train, together, until the end of the line (The graveyard). I thought the filming, directing, and the acting was all very good. One of my favorites so far.
I agree. That is one of the major defining themes of classic noir: someone makes a decision to do something (usually illegal) that he knows that he ought not, and then ends up paying a price for it (often jail or death).

The Sweet Small of Success (1958)

This is the third time I've watched this film. Some people obviously like it and frankly it's a film that you can watch on repeat. The film is the story of a grubby two bit publicity man and a high level New York columnist. Funny how in todays world the people who provide the content are the grubby ones and the people in charge of publicity are the gatekeepers. This is a parallel world one of it's time.

This film has a lot of things going for it. To start off with the shot compositions and blocking in this film is first rate. This new york world feels real and lived in. The camera feels like it's own character which is what the best films have. The film also does a great job setting up Lancaster's character...we don't really see him until the end of the first act. Curtis is a hustler and one of the things that this film does that a number of modern films don't is we see him lose. He comes up with a clever plan and it blows up in his face and then he's on to the next one.

Curtis and Lancaster are both bad men, one puts on airs while the other hustles and does some pretty low things. Lancaster's character isn't really that consistent his emotional turns are a choice and it somewhat took me out of the film at times. You wonder if the man ever tied a woman to the train tracks. The worst thing is the central plot is his "sister" has gotten involved with a guitar player. He doesn't want his sister to end up with this guy so the hope is to break them up. His relationship with his sister is creepy it feels weirdly sexual which is even worse when by the third act we find out she's a teenager(he's decades older than her).

But while I like the film, it's really what I expect from a noir. Way to much of the dialogue feels ridiculous. The characters all talk in this coded style which works when you have restraint but when it's almost every line it feels like you need a Rosetta stone to get what everyone is saying. We could have seen the valid reasons for Lancaster to not want his teenage sister to run off with a night club musician but the film plays it for melodrama. Most of the important more salacious stuff occurs off screen when we do get the violent scenes it feels cheesy and dated. I don't really consider this film to be noir but it's still good.

B+

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers

Like many film noir's, Martha Ivers main characters are prisoners of a past they can't escape. In this film the event is that Martha killed her wealthy mean-spirited aunt and was helped to cover it up with the help of her tutor and his son. Everything in the movie revolves around this event.

Years later Martha's childhood friend finds himself in Iverstown and finds that Martha has married the tutors son and he is now the towns prosecutor. Martha and her husband suspect him of returning to blackmail them, but he is ignorant of the fact that she had murdered her aunt. He leaves town with a woman he met in town, and Martha and her husband commit murder, suicide.

It was Lizabeth scots first major role and the first role for Kirk Douglass. The acting was very good, the story was good, the directing was OK, and filming was good. overall I liked this movie very much and would suggest it to others.

Night of the Hunter (1955)

I'm not sure I would classify this as a noir film, this seemed more like a gothic horror film. Night of the Hunter tells the story of a fake preacher running around the midwest finding single women and murdering them. When he gets caught for stealing a car he goes to jail where he runs into a desperate father who murdered two people in an armed robery who is sentenced to die. When Mitchem leaves the prison he tracks down the family and weds the mother and then the film goes bonkers.

Visually this movie is a delight, so many scenes have such composition to them. The best movies are the ones where you walk through them and feel like they could be paintings in a museum. Laughton's eye and flair for the visuals is impressive, it's quite sad this was his only film. The other thing that is really good about this film is the pacing, in a normal film the second act would be the climax of the film but then the story goes on and takes a left turn. Lillian Gish plays a woman who takes in stray children and she ends up with the kids. Her performance is fantastic and part of why I wouldn't consider this film tobe noir. I don't think any of the characters in the story really fall in line with what a noir protagonist/antagonist is. Mitchem's character is simply evil he's not conflicted if anything he becomes cartoonish at times.

B+ as a film

Sweet Smell of Success

While Sweet Smell of Success features many film noir tropes and actors, it is not always categorised as film noir. In fact it is not even listed in the bible of film noir, FILM NOIR THE ENCYLOPEDIA by Alain Silver, Elizabeth Ward, James Ursini and Robert Porfirio. The lack of murder and the lack of psychology, as well as the lack of shadows, horror, melodrama and paranoia, make of Sweet Smell of Success as realistic to life film noir as you might find. It can be difficult to face such an unrepentant cast of villains as these, and somewhat uncomfortable to consider that the message about personal relations and the media industry is this real. Burt Lancaster's character, Hunsecker, is based on the late Walter Winchell who was a celebrated, syndicated, American newspaper gossip columnist and radio news commentator. He was not above using the same dirty tricks and gossip to get what he wanted. Tony Curtis' character could have been one in a hundred talent agents who benefited or suffered from their relationship with a man like Winchell.

Sweet Smell of Success

While Sweet Smell of Success features many film noir tropes and actors, it is not always categorised as film noir. In fact it is not even listed in the bible of film noir, FILM NOIR THE ENCYLOPEDIA by Alain Silver, Elizabeth Ward, James Ursini and Robert Porfirio. The lack of murder and the lack of psychology, as well as the lack of shadows, horror, melodrama and paranoia, make of Sweet Smell of Success as realistic to life film noir as you might find. It can be difficult to face such an unrepentant cast of villains as these, and somewhat uncomfortable to consider that the message about personal relations and the media industry is this real. Burt Lancaster's character, Hunsecker, is based on the late Walter Winchell who was a celebrated, syndicated, American newspaper gossip columnist and radio news commentator. He was not above using the same dirty tricks and gossip to get what he wanted. Tony Curtis' character could have been one in a hundred talent agents who benefited or suffered from their relationship with a man like Winchell.
It's interesting that you mention that re its noir status. When mulling over that distinction when first considering a review, my first thought was the picture was not really noir. But the more I thought of it, the film really deeply encapsulates the noir feel.

There was not only impressive noir photography by the great James Wong Howe, but the very nature of the characters in the movie portray a thoroughly jaundiced view of society, which is at the heart of noir. And it took place in the smack dab in the middle of an unforgiving city.

Both J.J. Hunsecker and Sidney Falco make selfish decisions, and in the end each are punished for them. That's another chief noir theme.

So I've re-assessed my opinion on the subject, and now believe it's a solid noir picture. It's also likely Tony Curtis' greatest performance. Unfortunately, as you know, the public did not want to see Curtis or even Lancaster in these types of roles. The picture was a box office bomb, but has gained much stature in the years since.

It's interesting that you mention that re its noir status. When mulling over that distinction when first considering a review, my first thought was the picture was not really noir. But the more I thought of it, the film really deeply encapsulates the noir feel.

There was not only impressive noir photography by the great James Wong Howe, but the very nature of the characters in the movie portray a thoroughly jaundiced view of society, which is at the heart of noir. And it took place in the smack dab in the middle of an unforgiving city.

Both J.J. Hunsecker and Sidney Falco make selfish decisions, and in the end each are punished for them. That's another chief noir theme.

So I've re-assessed my opinion on the subject, and now believe it's a solid noir picture. It's also likely Tony Curtis' greatest performance. Unfortunately, as you know, the public did not want to see Curtis or even Lancaster in these types of roles. The picture was a box office bomb, but has gained much stature in the years since.
Well said Doc, I'd agree on all those points about the noir-ness of Sweet Smell of Success. I haven't seen all of Tony Curtis' movies but I'd say hands down this was his best role, though I've enjoyed his performances in most all of his movies which were mostly comedies.