A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I got the All the Haunts be Ours box set from Severin for Christmas so I am definitely merry and will definitely have some films to talk about in the near future.

https://severinfilms.com/products/folk-horror-box

I got the All the Haunts be Ours box set from Severin for Christmas so I am definitely merry and will definitely have some films to talk about in the near future.

https://severinfilms.com/products/folk-horror-box
Neat collection!

I've had my eye on Celia and Alison's Birthday for a while. (I've avoided Celia because of some of the animal cruelty in it).

I've liked all the ones I've seen from it. You've got some good stuff ahead of you!

I forgot the opening line.

TALK TO ME - (2022)

Talk to Me is satisfying in many different ways - it manages to be a no-nonsense horror film while still being savvy enough to be about something worth exploring. You can't even see the seams. Mia (Sophie Wilde) and the family she's kind of befriended to the point where she's been de facto adopted (her mother died a few years previously, and she has a strained relationship with her father) all behave like real people - which is crucial in a film that wants us to feel Mia's uncertainty and pain, along with the fear her friends feel. Becoming possessed through supernatural means as an allegory for young people experimenting with drug use is particularly winsome regarding having a great viewing experience - there are moments that these kids go through which are probably familiar to many people. The Philippous don't overplay their hand horror-wise, but keep us on edge. I thought this was a great story overall, and also a great horror movie. Last Christmas night I chose Nope as my "I can finally relax" Christmas night movie - and Talk to Me ended up being a great choice for this year's slot. I enjoyed it as much (if not more) than the first time.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 1/10
Discomfort : 7.5/10
Art : 6/10
Weird : 8/10
Fun : 9/10
Interesting : 7/10
Enjoyable : 10/10
Exciting : 8/10

Overall : 8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

So question for people who have seen Talk to Me about your interpretation of the ending/last act.

MAJOR SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY!!!

WARNING: spoilers below

1) Do you believe that what Mia sees at the end (that the kid has gotten better and they're leaving the hospital) is real?

2) If you do believe it is real, do you think that he recovers because Mia sacrificed himself?

I am a bit torn on these two questions.

On one hand, I think that for Mia, hell would be the family just walking away and leaving her behind. We also saw that he was getting worse and not better in terms of the self-harm/possession. Would he really just . . . get better after some time?

And if he did get better because of Mia's sacrifice, then what do we make of her "mother"?

So question for people who have seen Talk to Me about your interpretation of the ending/last act.

1) Do you believe that what Mia sees at the end (that the kid has gotten better and they're leaving the hospital) is real?

2) If you do believe it is real, do you think that he recovers because Mia sacrificed himself?

On one hand, I think that for Mia, hell would be the family just walking away and leaving her behind. We also saw that he was getting worse and not better in terms of the self-harm/possession. Would he really just . . . get better after some time?

And if he did get better because of Mia's sacrifice, then what do we make of her "mother"?
It's interesting to ponder, because I wasn't absolutely certain - but I did lean a certain way :

First of all, I eventually learned during this film that whoever these spirits are, they lie an awful lot and seem to have a great deal of power inasmuch as they can appear as whomever and make Mia see pretty much whatever they want her to (while she's alive.) They tricked Mia into killing her father, and nearly tricked her into killing the kid.

So, was the kid really in hell - being tortured by these hell-spirits like the little girl showed he was to Mia? If they had him like that, then why the urgency regarded to them trying to trick Mia into killing him? If you ask me, everything either told to Mia or shown by these spirits wasn't true - just aiding manipulation.

At one stage someone says "I think these spirits have all of the information in our minds when we let them in" - and so I don't think Mia's mother was her mother at all. She lied about not committing suicide and tricked her into killing her father. They used all of the information they'd gleaned against her.

Once Mia had died however, I thought that had probably changed things a great deal. Is everything she sees then a real projection of future events? Well, that one brief line from the kid's mother - "he seems to be getting better, he woke up and interacted with me for the first time" - that had me telling Mia "Oh no! Don't kill him! It's all been a ruse!"

I think he really did get better. I think he was always going to get better, and these nasty spirits wanted Mia to kill him before that happened. They tried so hard - to the point of getting Mia to see him as some kind of perverted, old, nasty spirit goading her on.

I kind of say Mia's sacrificial death as freeing her from the torment, and the truth comes to her as death's release. I wasn't 100% sure about the kid, but that's the way I was leaning. Something I had a frustrating time of not quite understanding was what happened to her father? Did he survive? Is that why she saw him during her death-dream walking away? I don't know - that might also mean he died as well. We get that short scene with him being discovered, clinging to life - but no closure on that one.

Interesting.

I mean, if you take the "hand as drugs" allegory to a final conclusion, it might be
that at a certain point, even the people you love do walk away from you. You can't see how erratic your behavior is, and so at a certain point you cut ties.

For Mia, with her trauma around abandonment, this would be Hell.

For me, another complication is the idea of Mia channeling through the hand. Is she now an evil spirit? Or is being trapped in this purgatory something that eventually warps people? Mia, for all her faults, is not an unempathetic person, not a sadist.

Interesting.

I mean, if you take the "hand as drugs" allegory to a final conclusion, it might be
that at a certain point, even the people you love do walk away from you. You can't see how erratic your behavior is, and so at a certain point you cut ties.

For Mia, with her trauma around abandonment, this would be Hell.

For me, another complication is the idea of Mia channeling through the hand. Is she now an evil spirit? Or is being trapped in this purgatory something that eventually warps people? Mia, for all her faults, is not an unempathetic person, not a sadist.
I hadn't thought of...

...how a channeled Mia fits in with these spirits being so malicious, but during the montage (if I'm remembering correctly) when everyone is having a ball with the hand, over and over again, there's one or two possessed incarnations that seem kindly, if perhaps sad. But like you say, perhaps that changes. I'd imagine someone possessed briefly by Mia would exhibit intense grief and sadness - with the added edge of being envious of the living, and perhaps anger over being dead. So perhaps not all of the spirits are downright evil - just really intense.

But yeah - that final scene - I guess it all very much emphasises how alone Mia is now. There's not much that doesn't groove very neatly with the drug interpretation. Her father walking away from her, without turning back, is particularly sad. It felt like she'd finally broken through a self-imposed barrier between her and him, tragically too late. I was going to say 'how could anyone be foolhardy enough to try that hand?', but every day some kid is trying crystal meth for the first time. Can't they see the destroyed lives? Of course, that peer pressure can overpower a kid's ability to reason - their thought processes drowned out by that pressure to cross the barrier.

Victim of The Night

Maybe I missed something but yes it seemed perfectly literal and straightforward to me at the time. It may be that there were details I overlooked or something.

Maybe I missed something but yes it seemed perfectly literal and straightforward to me at the time. It may be that there were details I overlooked or something.
For me, I questioned it because
the boy's self-harm seemed to be getting worse, not better. And we weren't given any context for how he might just spontaneously "get better".

It also feels relatively optimistic for what is otherwise a pretty bleak film: the boy survives and is fine, and so does her dad.

Like I said earlier, I think that them all recovering and leaving her behind is the final twist of the knife, so it does work story-wise. I just found myself surprised that two characters who seemed pretty doomed were able to recover.

I haven't seen either, either, so hope you choose either or neither, I don't know, I haven't seen them.

PEARL - (2022)

Sometimes it's not about a body count - a good horror film will always work at us psychologically, and a good one that gets under our skin always wins over one that has heaps of death, but does nothing else but go through the motions. Pearl doesn't go through the motions - and instead we find ourselves with a woman who's pretty much a sympathetic protagonist. Mia Goth's Pearl has stars in her eyes, but that's mostly because her strict mother is making life at home unbearable - at the same time her husband is overseas, fighting in the Great War. The year is 1918, and Pearl is stuck on a farm - bored, stifled, and having to look after her paralyzed father. The Spanish flu pandemic is creating conditions we're only too familiar with during our current era. But - well...Pearl is also a psychopath, and when an accident befalls her, she's set on a path of destruction. I found Mia Goth strangely compelling as Pearl - and it's summed up in a magnificent final shot she holds, as the credits play. She clings to what she thinks is sanity, and a lot of the fun in watching her is the absolute unpredictability of her character. I enjoyed this film more than X because this prequel gives us a much closer glimpse of horror's beating heart - the mind of madness, and the way it dreams. I look forward to the next step in this journey - for Pearl's dreams to become a reality.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 1/10
Discomfort : 7/10
Art : 6/10
Weird : 4/10
Fun : 8/10
Interesting : 6/10
Enjoyable : 9/10
Exciting : 7/10

Overall : 7.5/10

Victim of The Night
For me, I questioned it because
the boy's self-harm seemed to be getting worse, not better. And we weren't given any context for how he might just spontaneously "get better".

It also feels relatively optimistic for what is otherwise a pretty bleak film: the boy survives and is fine, and so does her dad.

Like I said earlier, I think that them all recovering and leaving her behind is the final twist of the knife, so it does work story-wise. I just found myself surprised that two characters who seemed pretty doomed were able to recover.
Well, I thought the film had sort of made it clear enough that
WARNING: "so spoilery" spoilers below
her sacrifice would release him. It had worsened because he was deeper in it than they had initially realized and, more to the point, the ghosts were smarter and more malevolent than initially given credit for, but that the one and only bright spot in the film was that at least her miserable death would have a modicum of upside for people who would already be irrevocably traumatized.
The film is just so full of trauma to so many people and her story is just so sad and awful that I honestly didn't feel like this was that much to give the audience.

Well, I thought the film had sort of made it clear enough that
WARNING: "so spoilery" spoilers below
her sacrifice would release him. It had worsened because he was deeper in it than they had initially realized and, more to the point, the ghosts were smarter and more malevolent than initially given credit for, but that the one and only bright spot in the film was that at least her miserable death would have a modicum of upside for people who would already be irrevocably traumatized.
The film is just so full of trauma to so many people and her story is just so sad and awful that I honestly didn't feel like this was that much to give the audience.
Yeah, that's true.

It's one of those films that I find powerful and effective without feeling like I have all the answers or fully understand the ending.

I think that the film invites you to constantly question
the reliability of the ghosts--specifically the ghost of the mother--and the reliability of what Mia herself sees and experiences
. I was curious as to how other people interpreted those aspects of the film.

It's the way I'm leaning, just as long as there's no animal cruelty or anything.
I've seen it a few times and there isn't any animal cruelty in it. It's also up there with Brakhage's best films.