Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Shazam 2 (out local cinema is only just ahead of streaming). Fun, goofy entertainment.

Remember dudes and dudettes, never go on a trip with Tom Hanks. Or maybe go, he'll find a way to get everyone safe again, if something bad happens,
Terrific movie.

The Horse Thief (1986) -

I knew almost nothing about this film or its director upon going it, but by the end, I was blown away. After about 20 minutes, I stopped paying attention to the story and focused instead on the mysticism of the whole affair. Zhuangzhuang crafts so many memorable scenes of religious and cultural rituals, including sacrifices and funerals, and these scenes are directed in the most mysterious way possible. Whether you're referring to the layered sound design which is full of haunting drones, mantras, and music choices, the visually striking cinematography which has a handful of striking set pieces, contrasts vibrant colors against endless grass hills, or pares cross-dissolves with the photography, this film is so aesthetically in my wheelhouse I just have to love it. Even the more grounded scenes are shot and framed very well and make for a nice bridge in between the mystical scenes. With that being said, I'm surprised I ultimately decided not to give this film a perfect rating. I think this was due to a slight disconnect I began to feel towards the end since the film was counting on me being more invested in the characters than I actually was. Which isn't to say I didn't care about the characters at all, but focusing most of my attention on the stylistic elements didn't exactly do the ending much favors. Still though, it's a great film and I'll definitely keep an eye out for Zhuangzhuang's other films.

French movie. Interesting story.

Irish indie movie. Lead actress Ann Skelly very good.

Aubrey Plaza very good as she always is, but no clue what this movie was about.

Devil in a Blue Dress -
... It's a shame the movie didn't do better at the box office because it would have kickstarted a heck of a series.
Having read all of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins novels I was (and am still) mystified why they haven't been widely adapted. Mosley has shepherded the character all the way into the late 1960's and it's still one of the best written and nuanced noir-ish franchises ever.

Having read all of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins novels I was (and am still) mystified why they haven't been widely adapted. Mosley has shepherded the character all the way into the late 1960's and it's still one of the best written and nuanced noir-ish franchises ever.
It is too bad. I guess Jonathan Demme, who produced, didn't make more adaptations simply because this one didn't earn enough. It looks like they tried to continue the series on TV in 1998, but nothing came of it.

There is another, non-Easy Rawlins Mosley adaptation, The Man in My Basement, in the works, but Jonathan Majors is attached, so its fate could be up in the air.

It is too bad. I guess Jonathan Demme, who produced, didn't make more adaptations simply because this one didn't earn enough. It looks like they tried to continue the series on TV in 1998, but nothing came of it.

There is another, non-Easy Rawlins Mosley adaptation, The Man in My Basement, in the works, but Jonathan Majors is attached, so its fate could be up in the air.
Mosley is prolific as all get out. He's also written several novels featuring Fearless Jones, Leonid McGill and Socrates Fortlow, three Crosstown to Oblivion dual novellas and two graphic novels. He's a sci-fi geek and apparently a Fantastic Four fan.

But it turns out I inadvertently lied. The last Easy Rawlins I read was Charcoal Joe from 2016. Mosley wrote another, Blood Grove, in 2021 which I haven't read yet. I'll check that one out right after I'm through with Cormac McCarthy's The Passenger. Then after that I hope to move on to Stella Maris.

(2005, Quílez)

"Every time you hold out longer."

Avatar is a short film from Spanish filmmaker Lluis Quilez that presents us a couple in that situation. It follows a wheelchair-bound husband (Sebastián Haro) as he is subjected to a tense bath from his wife (Rosana Pastor). From the get-go, you can see there's distance between the two, and this is proven as the short progresses. Evidently, the "worse" and the "sickness" came, and there was no room to love and cherish.

From a technical standpoint, the short is great. Direction, cinematography, editing, everything is in the right place. But what makes it for me is the performances from Haro and Pastor, both of which make so much with just facial expressions and looks. There's hardly any dialogue and yet you get all you need to know from their body language, and it's impressive.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

NEXT FLOOR
(2008, Villeneuve)

"Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Next Floor follows a group of guests being offered an opulent banquet of various foods: from beef, sausages, chicken, fish and oysters, to antelope or rhinoceros. All being constantly carted into the table as the guests chow down relentlessly and voraciously. The contrast between the elegance of the setting and the grotesque of the menu, as well as their behavior, is evident.

The short film is fairly enigmatic and surreal, as we see the crowded table, guests and all, plummet down onto the "next floor". Something that doesn't seem to faze the guests that much. Even though it keeps on happening, they just keep on eating and eating, as the caravan of waiters follow them down the stairs.

Grade:

FLOOR 9.5
(2017, Meakins)

"Please... you gotta turn around."

Floor 9.5 is a 2-minute short film that follows a young woman (Georgina Campbell) trapped in a mysterious "floor" in an office building. Will she follow the plea for help of whatever she finds on that floor?

This is yet another short film recommended by Tim Egan. It is one of those examples where a simple premise can get you far enough, as long as it's well executed. With such a small runtime, there isn't much to say about it, but it does have some eerie visuals and a creepy twist that might still catch you by surprise.

Grade:

NEXT FLOOR
(2008, Villeneuve)

Next Floor follows a group of guests being offered an opulent banquet of various foods: from beef, sausages, chicken, fish and oysters, to antelope or rhinoceros. All being constantly carted into the table as the guests chow down relentlessly and voraciously. The contrast between the elegance of the setting and the grotesque of the menu, as well as their behavior, is evident.

The short film is fairly enigmatic and surreal, as we see the crowded table, guests and all, plummet down onto the "next floor". Something that doesn't seem to faze the guests that much. Even though it keeps on happening, they just keep on eating and eating, as the caravan of waiters follow them down the stairs.

Grade:

I liked that one. The whimsical angle with the grotesque subject matter was neat. It's also very French in having the fat, decadent rich be

AUDIO GUIDE
(2019, Elena)

"You are now listening to the Belle Epoque art gallery audio guide series..."

Audio Guide follows Audrey Walker (Emma Wright), a young and aspiring artist that upon a visit to the Belle Epoque art gallery finds out that the audio guide system not only works to offer further insight into the existing works of art exhibited there, but also from anyone around her. Initially she finds it intriguing and amusing, until the audio guide system starts revealing more intimate and troubling information about those around her, including herself.

This is yet another short film recommended by Tim Egan. It is certainly an interesting premise that is very well executed by director Chris Elena and writer Lee Zachariah. Wright is also great as her character goes through a rollercoaster of emotions as she keeps on discovering new things.

Grade:

Split 10/10
Without a doubt the greatest ending to a movie I've ever seen. I knew something was coming but I would never have predicted that. I had to pick my jaw off the floor before leaving the cinema.

I wanted to love this but I didn't. The last 30 minutes is too puzzling. I like puzzling. I like ambiguity but this one just went straight over my head. Can you shed any light on what I am missing?

'Law of Tehran' / 'Just 6.5' (2019)

Tense Iranian crime thriller. The first chase sequence is gripping.

Payman Maadi (A Separation, About Elly) is convincing as the lead detective trying to catch a drug baron flooding the streets of Tehran with crack and opium. But the standout is Navid Mohammadzadeh who delivers a beast of a performance here, shockingly good.

The film feels a little overlong at the 2 hour mark and gets very shouty in the middle, But it's well crafted and another of those morality tales from Iranian cinema.

7.7/10