Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Directed by: Charles Laughton
Starring: Robert Mitchum, Billy Chapin, Lillian Gish

From a visual standpoint, Night of the Hunter is an incredibly intriguing film. It frequently presents its viewers with striking imagery, imaginative camera angles, and fascinating compositions. Partial sets engulfed in shadow, and contrast-heavy lightning techniques are clearly inspired by German Expressionism, a style I always find beautiful...

I've seen Night of the Hunter twice, the last time it was nominated in the Noir 2 HoF and came in middle of the pack. That HoF has links to the member's reviews and so I just read my old review and apparently I was impressed. I think most found the imagery striking, though some didn't like that style in a noir.

Night of the Hunter
was the only movie Charles Laughton ever directed.

I largely agree Cosmic. I had heard such amazing things about Night Of The Hunter and had super high expectations that were underwhelmed twice. I will probably give it a third shot someday. The imagery is good and I do enjoy Mitchum in it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Draughtsman's Contract is anything but a straightforward costume drama. I still don't know if I really liked it, probably I would get more out of it were I to watch it again. I'm a big fan of The Favourite though, and I'm convinced The Draughtsman's Contract must have been an influence on it.

The Draughtsman's Contract is anything but a straightforward costume drama. I still don't know if I really liked it, probably I would get more out of it were I to watch it again. I'm a big fan of The Favourite though, and I'm convinced The Draughtsman's Contract must have been an influence on it.
I was thinking the same thing, and that it's a movie I wouldn't necessarily recommend for fans of historical pieces. I'd probably recommend it to MovieGal.

The Night of the Hunter is one of the few movies I've already seen that is on my watchlist. I feel like when I watched it, I must've totally missed it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Bridges of Madison County

I wasn't sure about this when it started - it looked cheap and messy and I wasn't sure I would warm to either Meryl Streep or Clint Eastwood. But although it was slow to start, it gradually sucked me in and was quite touching. I haven't always seen what people see in Meryl Streep, she always seemed to me like one of those actors who gets award nominations just for showing up, but she was great in this; she made the character of Francesca utterly believable and sympathetic so maybe I do see it now.

One thing about this film that chimed with me was not just the romance but the feeling of missed dreams and opportunities, of Francesca feeling torn between her family and the possibility of love. I also liked that she knew that if she went away with Robert her love wouldn't be able to be sustained. This speech particularly struck a chord with me:

"Robert, please. You don't understand, no-one does. When a woman makes the choice to marry, to have children; in one way her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and stay steady so that your children can move. And when they leave they take your life of details with them. And then you're expected move again only you don't remember what moves you because no-one has asked in so long. Not even yourself. You never in your life think that love like this can happen to you."

In some ways it reminded me of Brief Encounter - not just because it was about an unfulfilled housewife falling into a doomed love affair with a stranger, but because of the way she has to conceal her emotions. The scene near the end where she is in the truck, her hand curled around the door handle and she doesn't have the space to cry and can't possibly explain why she's upset anyway - that scene got to me as well.

I wasn't as convinced by the framing scenes with Francesca's adult children - they weren't as interesting or well acted.

I'm not sure who nominated this for me, but I will guess Sean.

Not me. I haven’t seen Bridges yet. Despite liking both Eastwood and Streep, this one always felt like it would be dry to me. I will see it, but not yet.

I love Bridges of Madison County, but I didn’t nominate it for anyone…or did I? No, I didn’t….or maybe I did? 😉

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
From what I've heard of Peter Greenaway's The Cook the Thief His Wife and Her Lover, it feels like my thick brain would stumble in tiny circles comprehending him. But I think I may need to after @cricket's review of The Draughtsman's Contract, and oh, how I love historical costume films.

I am guilty of a fanboy bias regarding Charles Laughton's only directing stint, regarding my only viewing of The Night of the Hunter in the first Personal Rec HoF. Especially on the cinematography! I was constantly pausing to admire.
I LOVED this scene,

Lillian Gish's character stays up with the shotgun, and Mitchum's evil preacher begins singing. At one point, she joins in. A calm, subtle challenge was going on that was very well done.
--And this must be the only time I've seen Shelly Winters play such a reserved, docile character. I had to take a moment, in wonder, to see her outside of what I was used to for her.

Like cricket, The Bridges of Madison County wasn't something I didn't really care about when it came out. I have had those fleeting moments of pondering; I wonder. I do enjoy both of them. And being an old codger, I'll probably enjoy it more. @Thursday Next's comparison with Brief Encounters is another nudge forward.

Gonna try to watch something this weekend, leaning toward Belle de Jour, which means it'll probably be something else. lol

The Bridges of Madison County

I wasn't sure about this when it started - it looked cheap and messy and I wasn't sure I would warm to either Meryl Streep or Clint Eastwood. But although it was slow to start, it gradually sucked me in and was quite touching. I haven't always seen what people see in Meryl Streep, she always seemed to me like one of those actors who gets award nominations just for showing up, but she was great in this; she made the character of Francesca utterly believable and sympathetic so maybe I do see it now.

One thing about this film that chimed with me was not just the romance but the feeling of missed dreams and opportunities, of Francesca feeling torn between her family and the possibility of love. I also liked that she knew that if she went away with Robert her love wouldn't be able to be sustained. This speech particularly struck a chord with me:

"Robert, please. You don't understand, no-one does. When a woman makes the choice to marry, to have children; in one way her life begins but in another way it stops. You build a life of details. You become a mother, a wife and you stop and stay steady so that your children can move. And when they leave they take your life of details with them. And then you're expected move again only you don't remember what moves you because no-one has asked in so long. Not even yourself. You never in your life think that love like this can happen to you."

In some ways it reminded me of Brief Encounter - not just because it was about an unfulfilled housewife falling into a doomed love affair with a stranger, but because of the way she has to conceal her emotions. The scene near the end where she is in the truck, her hand curled around the door handle and she doesn't have the space to cry and can't possibly explain why she's upset anyway - that scene got to me as well.

I wasn't as convinced by the framing scenes with Francesca's adult children - they weren't as interesting or well acted.

I'm not sure who nominated this for me, but I will guess Sean.

Wasn't Sean. Sounds like you liked it. I don't have any idea what kinds of movies your into so I just winged it. Had I known your feelings about Meryl Streep there's no way I would have selected it.

I forgot the opening line.
I think The Night of the Hunter's visual style is one of the huge take-aways from that film - it's so distinctive, and goes hard for the noirish shadow-laden doom-infused cinematography. Robert Mitchum is also at his loony best, becoming a kind of fairy-tale monster instead of a real human being. In fact, that's what the film resembles the most - a kind of modern adaptation of an old fairy-tale. The wolf in sheep's clothing (that clothing being a preacher's.) Not quite knowing what to make of it was the initial reaction from everyone when it came out I think - and that very sadly curtailed what might have been more incredibly inventive films from Charles Laughton - showing he was as talented behind the camera as he was in front.

Haven't seen (or was aware about) The Draughtsman's Contract and haven't seen The Bridges of Madison County.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Druk aka Another Round (2020)

Another school year. Four miserable, uninspired high school teachers who not only their students but their families ignore out of boredom decide to test a sociological theory that everyone is actually 0.05% short of the necessary amount of alcohol. The argument for a better life when consistently drunk is regarding countless heavy drinkers who did extraordinary things in their life. From Churchill to Hemmingway, so on and so forth.

They set their parameters and find all kinds of positive results. They're happier, they find inspiration and, in turn, inspire their students, and so, they drink a little more. The percentage gets a little higher and a little higher.

I had heard that this was a bit of a difficult watch and had spent the majority of it tensed up, waiting. Never a good way to watch anything. Even more so when discovering I was mistaken and did not need to be tense. Perhaps, like the frustrated colleagues, I should have had a drink, relaxed, and just gone with it.
I did spend that time enjoying not only Mads always spot-on, in-depth delivery of a soul in anguish but the equal merit of the other three friends, his wife, Anika (Maria Bonnevie), and everyone involved in this social experiment that, like all experiments, is taken to its limit and the costs thereof.

In the end, this was a lesson in recharging oneself and life and finding a renewed perspective. And like any precarious journey, showcasing, without judgment, both the triumphs and the failures. And, as Mads' Martin tells his students: "So, when you run around totally wasted, throwing up in bushes and alleys, don't feel alone because you're in great company."

So, a very sincere THANK YOU to whoever nominated this since I wouldn't have seen it on my own and can very easily see myself seeing it again. Without the tension and all of the enjoyment that this film brings.

I really liked Another Round when I saw it, but I don't think it's the kind of film I'd ever revisit on my own accord. I didn't nominate it for you Ed, but I did have it as an alternate pick for someone else who I only had one film in mind for and didn't know what to go with if that film was already taken haha.

Chop Shop (2007)

This movie is on the Ebert list, and it was a smart choice for me since I'm drawn to these types of movies. It's set in a small slummy area in Queens near Shea Stadium that's full of junkyards and auto repair shops, many of them chop shops. Unfortunately it's a real place. The main character is a young boy called Ale. Ale sells presumably stolen candy bars, bootleg DVDs, and auto parts to get by. He also works at one of the chop shops and has a room there to live. There is no mention of his parents, but they are not in his life and he doesn't go to school. His teen sister is allowed to move in with him and she gets some work at the local food truck. These are very poor people.

This is a realistic and non-judgmental look at these people's lives. There isn't much of a narrative or much drama. Upsetting parts include seeing how the sister is making extra money, and when the boy goes a step further by stealing a purse. It's upsetting because, although criminals, a lot of these are not bad people, but rather they're just doing what's necessary to survive. It's very unusual to have an American movie like this. It's bleak but it's not hopeless. Characters smile, laugh, and get along as much or more than the more fortunate. The sadness is that we are watching reality. The cast is great, and I believe most or all are not professional actors, always a good choice for a movie like this. It doesn't quite achieve favorite status for me because there's no moment that devastates or disgusts me, but I appreciate it for that. I didn't need or want anything horrible to happen. It's too real and it's upsetting enough as it is. Our government should be helping people like this instead of people who willingly made a choice for their own benefit, just to ensure their vote.

+

Glad you enjoyed it Cricket. As soon as I saw it hadn’t been marked off your list I knew it was my choice. Check out Man With A Cart by the same director, if you haven’t already.