Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

They're in a tight spot here. They knew he was winning best actor, so it would be awkward to censure him. Also, given that he is a POC actor in an industry relentlessly criticized for being too white, they would be on thin ice if they kicked him out or took back his award. On the other hand, he just assaulted the host of your show on national television.

Even the LAPD wimped out on this one. They don't need Chris Rock to press charges. It's not Chris Rock vs. Will Smith. In a criminal case, it's "The People" vs. Will Smith. And Will Smith committed an assault on national television. There is plenty there with which to charge him, arrest him, and hold him until he posts bail. But... ...they don't want any part of it.
I agree with the analysis, but I do think it does mean something that they have so far let it be (speaking of playing by the rules and whatnot). Also to me it would seem ridiculous to take back his award over this. The award is for acting, he did that job well (or is that like James D. Watson and his Nobel Prize, we give the prize, we take it away if you misbehave? Now that’s censorship.)

Then again, they could always change their mind and charge him later on.

This is going to be a trend now of people walking up and smacking Chris Rock. On the street, comedy concerts, movie sets, his home. If all of us met Chris Rock right now at least half of us would daydream of smacking him one.

Yeah?

And I would like to know exactly how a society would function if everyone was similarly disdainful towards having any underlying consistency in how they administered their rules, laws etc.
Well, no one should accept my opinions except me (or anyone’s opinions unless they agree with them). Jada should also have protection against being insulted, from her own husband, at least, not the law.

Anyhow, in my experience there are and always have been different rules for different people, and it seems strange to pretend otherwise. See also: heads of state exiting covid isolation early after flights long before vaccines, British royalty not wearing seatbelts, etc, etc. As to how society functions, not too well, I guess, but it’s ploughing on.

I mean, yes, we did get very much into the legal side of things, but Will punching Chris is in no way a threat to public safety (except in a very general/far-fetched way that well, it normalises violence, but so do a myriad other things/news/cinema itself). I don’t feel that a man defending his wife/a single fight between two people who have a personal altercation can be a threat to anything or anyone, least of all “public safety”.
Apparently, you don't understand the meaning of public safety.

You, I and even celebrities like Chris Rock are all part of the public.
We all have the right bestowed upon us by our country's laws to be protected from harm directed at us by another person whether it's in the form of a personal assault, a sexual assault, a theft, a drunk driver, etc.

And if the law can't always protect us from criminals via deterrence, then it grants us the right to seek justice and compensation after being attacked.

That's why laws regarding public safety are based in morality - otherwise they might be based on a "law" of nature which has no morality - like "survival of the fittest" for example - which would mean the strong could prey upon the weak, adults could prey upon children, men could prey upon women and there would be no consequences - just a world of genocide & anarchy where only the most violent & aggressive survive.

Assault as a response to words IS a threat to public safety because if everyone starts assaulting everyone else over words... and with impunity... then no one is safe.

P.S. There was no "fight" as Rock decided not to defend himself or retaliate. This was a simple case of assault and battery. And I'm starting to think Chris Rock SHOULD press charges to teach people like Will Smith and those defending his violence a lesson about the rule of law, justice and the American way.

See also: heads of state exiting covid isolation early after flights long before vaccines, British royalty not wearing seatbelts, etc, etc.

Yeah, exactly the kind of hypocrisy that people get rightfully angry at. That tears at the fabric of society. That should be held to account instead of excused. Or embraced.

Imagine a world where everyone was British royalty. Or at least people claiming such a thing. And what an unlivable hellscape that would be?

Imagine a world where everyone was British royalty.

We'll never be royals.

Yeah, exactly the kind of hypocrisy that people get rightfully angry at. That tears at the fabric of society. That should be held to account instead of excused. Or embraced.

Imagine a world where everyone was British royalty. Or at least people claiming such a thing. And what an unlivable hellscape that would be?
Yes, it would. And I’d imagine the meaning of British royalty, whatever that would look like, would get rather diluted.

You ready? You look ready.
Because I read?

GTFO urself John
See my comment.

It should have said “because I read interviews.”

But seriously, I don’t just pull stuff out my ass and posit it as fact. And I shouldn’t have to post citations for stupid stuff like pop culture. I had enough of citations in college, so I’m not going the extra mile just to be believed. Take that as you will.

I got over myself a long time ago.

Are you telling me I've been practising my royal wave to the peasants for nothing?

On the contrary, you've been practicing your "peasant waves back" gesture and you are ready for the cold embrace of anonymity in the crowd as the procession goes by.

Chris Rock: I'd probably rank him within my favorite top 10 comedians.
What I always liked most about him was his refusal to be intimidated by PC.

Don't know if this will stand... but even though it's old, it gained new significance in the more recent social climate the last few years...

If she had married Tupac none of this would have happened

I just speed read through this entire thread...What a bunch of crazy ass post! Good grief people

If you got some reps from me, then pat yourself on the back...But if you didn't get any reps from me, consult some professional help

To add to the controversy, I just found this video on YouTube.
Despite it's title I don't see any "proof" here, just some evidence - almost all the same stuff I pointed out earlier today before I found this video (Rock's unnatural reaction, Smith holding in laughter, etc.). One interesting thing is it compares the act to an Andy Kaufman bit with Jerry Lawler and today I commented to my brother how this could have been an "Andy Kaufman" type thing.

So how was this stunt pitched, then? Rock was somehow coerced into playing the role of "Guy that makes fun of women with diseases?" And Smith agrees to be "Guy that loses it and commits assault on stage?" Both of them agreed to risk the damage to their image because the Academy needed "buzz"?

And a few years after #OscarsSoWhite, the Academy decided the best way to promote buzz is to have two black guys fight on stage and use F Bombs?

How does any of this make sense as a staged event?