A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Because of this, I was mildly annoyed for a long time that pop culture had decided to include the Gill-Man among the classic Gothic monsters. As far as I was concerned there was no connection, beyond the studio that released the movies. I like the films, of course, but the G-M just always seemed like an orange in a bowl full of apples or something. I mean, I guess it still kinda bugs me but I'm old now and have more important things to worry about.
Hmmm... I hadn't thought of it quite this way. While I understand what you mean, I often think of The Creature as being the last gasp of Universal, an almost post-mortem exhalation. He's a monster out of fantasy like Frankenstein. But then, sooner than it took to get from The Wolfman (much less Dracula and Frankenstein) to him, we are at Norman Bates and the game is changed forever.

It's not only time frame, but Creature feels like much more of a B movie than the other classics (Frankenstein, Dracula, Bride, Wolfman). But considering it is so much better than two of those, I'm content accepting him into the fold.

Victim of The Night
It's not only time frame, but Creature feels like much more of a B movie than the other classics (Frankenstein, Dracula, Bride, Wolfman). But considering it is so much better than two of those, I'm content accepting him into the fold.
It's funny that The Mummy is so dull, The Invisible Man always gets overlooked, and The Wolf Man isn't even the first or best Universal werewolf movie (Werewolf Of London is clearly the superior film), but somehow it's Creature that always gets the side-eye.

Neither here nor there for most people but the 3D bluray of Creature is AMAZING and accentuates it’s B-movie greatness.

Victim of The Night
Anybody here seen The Being, the debut film from Blood Diner director, Jackie Kong?
Somehow I have never even heard of this movie and I wasn't sure that was still possible.
I just watched an interview with her and she explained how she got Martin Landau to be in the film and then he went and got Jose Ferrer and Marianne Gordon to join him in it.
Seemed adorable and made me wanna see it but I've never come across it on any streaming platform. Which means it's probably on Prime.

Anybody here seen The Being, the debut film from Blood Diner director, Jackie Kong?
Somehow I have never even heard of this movie and I wasn't sure that was still possible.
I just watched an interview with her and she explained how she got Martin Landau to be in the film and then he went and got Jose Ferrer and Marianne Gordon to join him in it.
Seemed adorable and made me wanna see it but I've never come across it on any streaming platform. Which means it's probably on Prime.
You can rent it from Amazon for $1!

Victim of The Night
You can rent it from Amazon for $1!
Ha!
I freakin' knew it.
Well, I'll let y'all know how it is later this week.

Having just watched her talk about why she chose to have a full-frontal nudity kung-fu scene in BD, I like this woman and want to see her movie.
"A nude kung-fu scene. Nobody had ever done that. I had to do that. And why did I do it? She's completely nude, full bush... You think it's an easy kill. And that's where the surprise comes in."

Ok, what are your guys opinions on the following films:
The Witch part 1 Subversion
(Note that this is a South Korean film not to be confused with The Witch)

Svaha The Sixth Finger

Hagazussa

Demon
(Polish film)

I plan on watching all 4 eventually, regardless.
Hagazussa is glacially slow, the visuals have a bleak but pleasing look but I found that it just feels like it never ends and for giant stretches I was waiting for anything of consequence to happen.

A bit of a let down after some hype. Well worth watching for some strong visuals and imagery, but kind of a miss for me.

Demon (Polish film)
It is so good, and the loss of the director to suicide is a really loss to what could have been some great films.

I would say that it's a bit more subdued and treads in a kind of horror-drama realm. There is also a lot of content that relates to the events in Poland during WW2. I found that reading a bit about the film (after I watched it) helped me connect a few dots.

Some of the sequences are just really amazing. There is a certain set piece (an image of which is often used as the cover/poster for the film) that really stands out, but I thought that there were at least three other equally great sequences.

I will definitely be happy to discuss it with you once you've watched it.

Also, you guys do not need to report to my review thread about Inside No. 9, but I would like you all to watch the episode The 12 Days of Christine (Series 2, episode 2) so that I can talk about it with someone (here or in that review thread).

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!

Also, you guys do not need to report to my review thread about Inside No. 9, but I would like you all to watch the episode The 12 Days of Christine (Series 2, episode 2) so that I can talk about it with someone (here or in that review thread).

PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!
The only way I'd have access to this is to watch it on Britbox with my parents. Is it a watch-with-your-elderly-parents kind of thing?

The only way I'd have access to this is to watch it on Britbox with my parents. Is it a watch-with-your-elderly-parents kind of thing?
The episode I'm talking about, yes. Many of the other episodes, NO.

You don't have Hulu?

The episode I'm talking about, yes. Many of the other episodes, NO.
Uhh.... how deep do they go inside No. 9?

Victim of The Night

Hmmm... This is gonna be long but I hope at least a couple of you will read it and maybe even watch this at some point and tell me what you think.

I've been watching the documentary, In Search Of Darkness, about 80s Horror movies, for the last several days (it's 4 hours and 40 minutes long and has a Part II that is another 4h 23m) and saw some interviews with Jackie Kong. Jackie was the director of Blood Diner and a movie I loved when I was like 12 years old called Night Patrol with Linda Blair, Pat Paulsen, and The Unknown Comic.
She seemed like such a cool lady, and her story about how she got three Academy Award-winning actors to star in her first film, a low-budget Horror movie financed by a skin-flick producer no-less, just made me really root for her and wanna see her movie.
And I didn't dislike it, honestly. It's not terrible, although many movie-watchers might call it that and many more likely wouldn't even finish it, but all of us here have a different definition for what a bad movie is. There's certainly some pluck to the film and she actually does seem to have an eye for shots (it was apparently her story-boards that got the producer to give her the money to make the film despite her having zero directing experience, not even a commercial or student-film or anything). Honestly, despite terrible acting by lead Rexx Coltrane and a really, really muddy look to the film, I thought it was going along alright.

But then, I decided to read a little bit about the production of the movie. And my feelings started to change.
First of all, the person who gave her the financing for the movie was actually her husband.
Second, he gave her 4.5 MILLION DOLLARS to make this movie. 4.5 million 1981 dollars.
And this is the movie she made.
This movie looks, outside of its gaudy cast (for an allegedly low-budget Horror flick) like it was made for well under a million. If someone told me it was made for less than $100k, with the actors just pitching in for good-will, which is kinda the story Jackie sells, that they just admired her pluck and did the movie, I'd believe it.
But she had $4.5M to spend on this movie.
By contrast, Abel Ferrara made Ms.45, a vastly superior film in every way, for $62,000.
But maybe that's not fair because Ferrara didn't need a lot of special effects for his movie. So maybe for perhaps a more direct comparison, The Boogens, which is actually a pretty similar film, was made for $600,000 and is at least as good as, probably better than, The Being. I mean, Halloween was made for literally 1/14th of the budget of this film and looks at least twice as good and is of course a classic. So how could this movie appear to be so cheap?
Suddenly I started to question Jackie's story (not to mention her ability). Did she really join Martin Landau's acting class just so she could meet him and make her pitch and did she really sell herself so well she won him over and not only did he agree to star in the film but he also personally recruited two other Academy Award-winners to be in the film, as Jackie claims?
Or did Jackie offer Martin Landau a million bucks for a couple-few days filming to be in her low-budget film and told him she had another $2M for anyone else he could get? And then made the movie, not that well actually, for $1.5M? Which it still doesn't look like it cost to make. And if that isn't what happened then... where did the $4.5M go?!!! Because I'm not sure if there's even a million bucks on the screen. Did her husband use the film to launder a few million dollars? I just don't know.
My charity toward this film took another hit when I read not one single positive review of the film while virtually every review speaks of its amateurishness not just in the usual ways with Horror but in most of the technical categories as well and I learned that the movie couldn't even get a low-budget distributor for three years despite the producer and star (yes she cast her husband, who was not even an actor, as the star of the film, meaning she didn't have to pay for him either) being her husband and him having gotten distribution for several low-budget skin-flicks! No one wanted this movie.
So, anyway.
I actually didn't mind the movie, I'd probably even watch it again, but I just don't know if you can call a $4.5M movie, in 1981, "low-budget" and I don't think, therefore, that you can use the budget as an excuse for all the short-comings of the film. Which means that maybe it actually is a bad movie.

Honestly, that was a really terrible trailer. It's visually as pleasing as your average TV commercial, and something about the editing irked me a lot.
Yeah; it's about the same as the trailer for every other A24 Horror movie, a style that I'm not particularly a fan of (but then again, ya'll already knew that). That being said though, Annihilation won Garland some credit for me, so I'll wait and see what the reviews are like for this one.