Best Horror Movies 2004

Tools    

1) THE LAST HORROR MOVIE
2) HAUTE TENSION (aka SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE)
3) TOOLBOX MURDERS
4) SHAUN OF THE DEAD
5) DAWN OF THE DEAD

Any others?

The bottom two on your list are the only ones I can remember enjoying.

Darkness

Oh my goodness: I actually saw Darkness over the Christmas break....what a total piece of crap. Yowza.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Haute Tension, probably.

I'd have to go with the Dawn of the Dead remake. I thought the first 10 minutes or so where the zombies overrun the suburbs was absolutely brilliant. I loved the crane/helicopter shot panning out and howing the suburb as a whole... great stuff!

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh my goodness: I actually saw Darkness over the Christmas break....what a total piece of crap. Yowza.
Hey Holden. Can you give a little more detail on why you think that way? It was actually one of the movies on my list to check out this month.

It is derivitive, unoriginal and the main "twist" about as shocking as who wins the big fight in Rocky IV, but I can let that stuff slide if I'm in the mood for dumb genre fun. What's inexcusable is how it treats the audience like complete retards. Look, even in the most simple and straightforward Horror schlock, there has to be some consistency in character, some basic logic they're following that even though we as the audience know damn well they shouldn't open that door, we can buy that the character on screen might. The characters here, most especially those played by Anna Paquin and Leno Olin, do the mutherfu*king stupidest things. By the final act of the film that they continue to do them is beyond any level of believability. Once Paquin's character finally pieces everything together and truly understands what will happen if things are done a certain way in the house, she goes right ahead and does them anyway. Why? Becuase.

What a piece of crap Darkness is. Really, it would be disappointing as a $2 rental from the grocery store. If you waste even matinee ticket prices and your time on it...well, you get what you deserve. And at this time of the year when there are more great movies than you can see anyway, I'm telling you Darkness is *****.

But hey, enjoy.

And this is my BOOMstick!
Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead

That's it. Sad isn't it.

I saw Darkness and I liked it. It is one of the only recent horrors and was much better than I expected.

It is derivitive, unoriginal and the main "twist" about as shocking as who wins the big fight in Rocky IV, but I can let that stuff slide if I'm in the mood for dumb genre fun. What's inexcusable is how it treats the audience like complete retards. Look, even in the most simple and straightforward Horror schlock, there has to be some consistency in character, some basic logic they're following that even though we as the audience know damn well they shouldn't open that door, we can buy that the character on screen might. The characters here, most especially those played by Anna Paquin and Leno Olin, do the mutherfu*king stupidest things. By the final act of the film that they continue to do them is beyond any level of believability. Once Paquin's character finally pieces everything together and truly understands what will happen if things are done a certain way in the house, she goes right ahead and does them anyway. Why? Becuase.

What a piece of crap Darkness is. Really, it would be disappointing as a $2 rental from the grocery store. If you waste even matinee ticket prices and your time on it...well, you get what you deserve. And at this time of the year when there are more great movies than you can see anyway, I'm telling you Darkness is *****.

But hey, enjoy.
WOW! Somehow I just can just visualize you physically shaking with rage while writing this.

Yowza.
What's the sign of a honest review? "Yowza." Pure and simple. I will not see this movie. And since this is the horror thread of 2004 I'll add another couple of pennies. I haven't been excited to see a horror movie since I saw The Exorcist. Actually, I was really high in the dorms and saw The Others and it was kind of scary, until the weed wore off, then it was alright. Back to point. Horror movies, lately, have become this recurring theme of washed out, bleached, alternate shutter speed, wet, black eyed, ghost of children cliche - and it pisses me off. A genre such as horror deserves much more attention to detail and creative genius. The next movie that has a kid sitting in a corner with an adult that walks up behind them only to find them not alive will feel the sting of my pimp slap. I call it, The Stinger.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I enjoyed Saw as well as DOTD and SOTD.
Also i enjoyed The Grudge, sadly i wasnt able to see the originals before hand but i enjoyed it. Although having the same director as the originals, who has seemingly made a career out of making the same movie over and over, did soften that blow

And this is my BOOMstick!
I hated the original grudge. It's just not scary at all.

I enjoyed the original grudge except for the dubbing of the voices. If the american grudge were identical, it would have topped it's old self. Uh...if that makes sense.

Anyways, i'll have to say Dawn of the Dead was my favorite this year.

Shaun of the Dead (d. Edgar Wright)
Saw (d. James Wan)
Dawn of the Dead (d. Zack Snyder)

Why aren't horror movies any good now these days? The last scary one I saw was "The Ring". Not saying I have seen all, but still.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
The Ring wasn't scary at all. And I doubt you'd be saying horror sucked this year if you've seen either Shaun of the Dead or Dawn of the Dead.

Well well. Have to check them out then I guess.