Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Fine, you want the truth? I'll TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I cried so much people thought i was having a seizure! When my friends tried to comfort me i wiped my snot all over there clothes by accident! Then... at the end i began crying so much i heaved and a little bit of throw up went in my friends popcorn! HAPPY?? NOW YOU KNOW THE TRUTH??!! WELLL??!

*runs away crying*
I figured as much.
Crybaby.

Aniko~ I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

A system of cells interlinked
You spit reviews out like Bullets from Holden's gatling gun....

May The Forks be With Us
great reviews. My parents told me if i reviewed all of the movies I watched very few of them would get bad remarks from me. They say the shortest book would be "The Movies Michael Didn't Like". Thats my name by the way

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I set a goal for the year... It's one of the few New Years' Resolutions I'll be keeping.
What is it?

Hellboy~ I think it takes much more skill to find the good in things. That's awesome that you know enough about film to always find things you like in them.

Garrett~ 52 for the year... one a week or so.

It's good. At the risk of seeming cutsie: It's "nice". I had the Kirsten Dunst Fan Club sitting right behind me, doing their utmost to sound like a riled henhouse every time Dunst finished a line. I'd have given my left tit for a vat of boiling oil by half way through the movie. So maybe that's got something to do with my response. Or lack thereof. I just don't feel like raving about it. And it seems like everyone else does.

img
The central performances are very strong. Carey and Winslet are both very invested in this, and at times that's really challenging. Winslet's character could have been a rock-star wannabe in the hands of most of Hollywood, and she gave it just enough grounding to make her relatable. Kaufman walked the line with the character of Clementine between bullsh</>itter and genuine, and Winslet charged up both sides. Nicely done. I didn't relate so well to Joel. I think that's the main thing that distanced the whole thing for me, emotionally. He's so.... blah. He's certainly someone who needs a Clementine in his life, so I can understand his strong drive to want her back, but as to why she'd want him, I can't begin to guess.

The very strong subplot is also well-acted, though this is a weird role for Elijah Wood. Mark Rufalo and Kirsten Dunst are both on their game and well-cast.

The writing is some of Kaufman's best. He seems to finally have found a balance between cerebralism and emotion. This accounts for the attraction of the main story, and is underlined in the graceful subplot between the doctor and his assistant. Up til the scene with the doc's wife in the street, this is a love story about two people. The fact that Mary still feels for Tom broadens the scope and clarifies the message of the film. It's well acted, especially that tape of Mary. I might could have done with less of Rufalo, especially in his baggy old underpants. But that's another story.

The photography, palette, light, etc in this were gorgeous and gave the whole thing a surreal quality that supported the story nicely. I think that song at the end was really weak. Would have rather'd "Book of Love" by the Magnetic Fields, or something.

Like Lost in Translation, this film affirms good stuff - appreciating people for their entirety, and letting love win over fear. That's all good, but in this case there are a few small problems. Perhaps in time I'll come to love it, warts and all. (god, I hate that expression) For now, I give it 8/10.

I couldn't understand what Kate's Character saw in Jims great review Sammy

there were a few things i didn't like about this..most of it was location...westchester became rockville centre and east hampton became montauk but that aside....

i have to agree with elijah wood..the only thing that he was doing there was making money...other than that...i thought the film was excellent ...

thanks for your review

history *is* moralizing
yeah! thanx/merci/danke and congrats/félicitations/gratuliere

Nebbs~ we're so sensible. You wouldn't believe the battle I had when that movie came out and I first wrote that (this is a re-write, after seeing it a second time). Glad to know you thought the same.

susan~ that would bother me, as well. Things set in LA get sort of blurry, location-wise, too, and it makes for a Brechtian moment when you're saying "he'd have to be in a JET to get there in 10 minutes!"

chi-froggie~ de nada/bitte schoen/I'm outta languages

A system of cells interlinked
Great review Sammy. I really liked this film a lot, and didn't really find any issues with it, although the point you make about why Clem would want Joel in the first place makes sense...

Great review! I loved this movie alot, i can't wait for the Collector's Edition to come out!

I was a little bored when I watched this; it's good, but certainly not great. Nice review.

Thanks for reading, guys!
Sedai~ it wasn't a huge thing. Could have been fixed with a few little details, really. Sometimes, little things bug me though.
Zzat~ cool! Let me know if it has good commentary, ok?
Garrett~ the pacing got a little funny for me in the middle and my not caring about Joel started to accumulate into "blah". I liked it better the second time, though. Thanks for the comments.

P.S. - Your index is falling behind.

EDIT Nevermind. I'm a lunatic.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
One of the best things about this film is knowing that Kaufman isn't just a flash in the pan, never to be heard of again after a few good scripts. Not only was the script the best part of this film, but the promise of more of the like from Kaufman is encouraging.

Some of the things I loved about this film were the subtleties. As soon as Joel woke up to the car door shutting (to open the film), I knew in the back of my mind that that sound was there for a reason. Of course, there were a ton more. It's one of those films that would be fun to watch a second time, knowing what you didn't know before.

Thanks for sharing, Sammy (is that your official nickname?)
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

I think that the most amazing thing about "love" is that it is confusing. Anyone who says that love makes sense has never been in love. Great review.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Garrett
P.S. - Your index is falling behind.
Who's index?

Quit looking at their behind.

Garret~ heh! Welcome to the club.

Mark~ I'm good with "Sammy". Thanks for the comments, and agreed about Kaufmann. It's great to know there are script-writers focusing on the cerebral out there.

7th~ brother, you said a mouthful.

Anonymous~ I don't think you're supposed to give advice that you would never take.