Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Tools    

Is it weird that I really like this?

Definitely not. It's pretty obviously great. There is after all, never anything controversial about the things I tout.

You know, like the Astrologer.

Victim of The Night
...There is after all, never anything controversial about the things I tout.
Certainly not.

Somebody clearly needs a dose of A Night to Dismember. And if YouTube dared to have the proper version available, I would be currently threatening you with a link.

I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness...

I'm more of a soft-munching man myself. My lunchtime soundtrack...

I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness...

This is a beast of a very different, and much more queasy nature. But I speak only of Doris Wishman's originally released version of A Night to Dismember. Sure, they have the supposed 'actual cut' on YouTube now, after years of it being claimed it had been destroyed. But no one wants that. We want the cobbled together version made from what fragments she had left, after whatever imaginary fire ruined the original cut. Because that is the sticky sauce.That is the heart of darkness of junk cinema. An endurance test for all but the acceptably warped. A waste of time for anyone who isn't aware their time is already wasted. A triumph! And the worst thing that could happen to an otherwise decent afternoon.

This is a beast of a very different, and much more queasy nature. But I speak only of Doris Wishman's originally released version of A Night to Dismember. Sure, they have the supposed 'actual cut' on YouTube now, after years of it being claimed it had been destroyed. But no one wants that. We want the cobbled together version made from what fragments she had left, after whatever imaginary fire ruined the original cut. Because that is the sticky sauce.That is the heart of darkness of junk cinema. An endurance test for all but the acceptably warped. A waste of time for anyone who isn't aware their time is already wasted. A triumph! And the worst thing that could happen to an otherwise decent afternoon.
I'm not familiar with the film, but, speaking of "queasy nature", nothing quite fits that mid-80s-era description like the notion of "we really need Samantha Fox to class this dismemberment up".

I'm not familiar with the film, but, speaking of "queasy nature", nothing quite fits that mid-80s-era description like the notion of "we really need Samantha Fox to class this dismemberment up".

Have you ever seen I Dismember Mama? It's a movie that I hate so much, that I come full circle, just to continue to hate it. But somewhere in the middle, while I'm watching, it creates just the right kind of discomfort in me I can't help but be sort of fascinated by it. Until the cycle of hating begins all over again, and I have a shower, and pretend I never watched it in the first place.

****, thirty seconds in and I already know I need this album.
Yeah, I recently plugged some holes in my Tyner LPs, whose solo albums have always been given short shrift.

Have you ever caught any of those youtube videos by these old wankers calling themselves "the VC community"? No, not the Viet Cong, nor some kind of antiquated untreated venereal contagion. The Vinyl Community, kinda like the YMCA except older and fatter and presumably straight but effectively celibate.

Man, they suck. At least the couple I saw. They usually have our vinyl lover standing in front of a wall of vinyl spine, reviewing their latest purchases. That's the extent of interest, the bait that took my cheek. Well, they must know of which they speak? Let's see! They don't really ever 'speak' in any coherent tongue, but hem and haw with a handful of standard superlatives. The lack of articulation is one minor issue, if only for the point of making such a video in the first place n'all, but a more cynical feeling I have is how most of their "new purchases" look an awful lot like promotional swag given away for anyone who might want to feature them in a youtube video. Even if they don't really have much to say about them (because they're still sealed ).

Here's an example. One guy - Ralphie? Ritchie? - decided to do a video dedicated to his favorite band. OK, let's see who that is. The Beatles! I don't hate the obvious nature because, feet to the keroene, I'd have to agree. They're the Beatles, after all. So then he spends the time complaining about Paul's love songs . But what really irritated me - it's a Vinyl-oriented show - was his choices from his own personal vinyl to show off. He pulls out all of this state-of-the-art Japanese pressings, very expensive stuff that I'm sure he's proud of, but nothing of any real personal value. Like, if I were doing a similar video, I might show off some well-worn but personally valuable items like the copy of Meet The Beatles that my parents owned that they gave me when I was five, my mom's copy of Rubber Soul, my dad's Pepper, that mint copy of White Album that I found at a Goodwill for 50 cents, my blue-vinyl 67-70 I got when I was 12, my first bootleg Not For Sale, etc, items that tell the story of my personal relationship with their music. Kinda like they were my favorite band or something in the context of a medium I love that I'm now dedicating my online existence to. Instead, it's all superficial stuff that's difficult to purchase but doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure that other collector-oriented youtube videos are similar.

It reminds me of that one ******** on the block who never took their toys out of the packaging. Good for you, dude. What an investment! Too bad I actually played with my toys!

Have you ever seen I Dismember Mama? It's a movie that I hate so much, that I come full circle, just to continue to hate it. But somewhere in the middle, while I'm watching, it creates just the right kind of discomfort in me I can't help but be sort of fascinated by it. Until the cycle of hating begins all over again, and I have a shower, and pretend I never watched it in the first place.
It was one of those films I watched in high school based on how stupid it looked. I was learning to laugh at bad movies back then. It's not a good movie.

I saw McCoy Tyner live.

(an experience marred by the ridiculously loud and clueless staff of the House of Blues, who were carrying on like this was a Grand Funk concert. "TWO COORS FOR TABLE FIVE!!!", the waitress shouted, as the piano trio on stage attempted to be heard over her voice. )

Yeah, I recently plugged some holes in my Tyner LPs, whose solo albums have always been given short shrift.

Have you ever caught any of those youtube videos by these old wankers calling themselves "the VC community"? No, not the Viet Cong, nor some kind of antiquated untreated venereal contagion. The Vinyl Community, kinda like the YMCA except older and fatter and presumably straight but effectively celibate.

Man, they suck. At least the couple I saw. They usually have our vinyl lover standing in front of a wall of vinyl spine, reviewing their latest purchases. That's the extent of interest, the bait that took my cheek. Well, they must know of which they speak? Let's see! They don't really ever 'speak' in any coherent tongue, but hem and haw with a handful of standard superlatives. The lack of articulation is one minor issue, if only for the point of making such a video in the first place n'all, but a more cynical feeling I have is how most of their "new purchases" look an awful lot like promotional swag given away for anyone who might want to feature them in a youtube video. Even if they don't really have much to say about them (because they're still sealed ).

Here's an example. One guy - Ralphie? Ritchie? - decided to do a video dedicated to his favorite band. OK, let's see who that is. The Beatles! I don't hate the obvious nature because, feet to the keroene, I'd have to agree. They're the Beatles, after all. So then he spends the time complaining about Paul's love songs . But what really irritated me - it's a Vinyl-oriented show - was his choices from his own personal vinyl to show off. He pulls out all of this state-of-the-art Japanese pressings, very expensive stuff that I'm sure he's proud of, but nothing of any real personal value. Like, if I were doing a similar video, I might show off some well-worn but personally valuable items like the copy of Meet The Beatles that my parents owned that they gave me when I was five, my mom's copy of Rubber Soul, my dad's Pepper, that mint copy of White Album that I found at a Goodwill for 50 cents, my blue-vinyl 67-70 I got when I was 12, my first bootleg Not For Sale, etc, items that tell the story of my personal relationship with their music. Kinda like they were my favorite band or something in the context of a medium I love that I'm now dedicating my online existence to. Instead, it's all superficial stuff that's difficult to purchase but doesn't really mean anything. I'm sure that other collector-oriented youtube videos are similar.

It reminds me of that one ******** on the block who never took their toys out of the packaging. Good for you, dude. What an investment! Too bad I actually played with my toys!

The vinyl resurgence thing is a bit of a mixed blessing. Culturally, I hate it. Who gives a **** if you prefer vinyl over streaming or CD's or whatever. The music is all I really care about. Sure, I have developed a particular preference, and am OCD so stick to it, but who cares. It came from nothing but the fact that in highschool I wanted a lot of music, didn't want to have a job to pay for such a collection, and because everyone was tossing their record collection in the 90's, I eventually could fill an entire room with music for the literal change I found laying around the house.

So while I've now somehow found myself caught in something considered 'trendy', it defintely can annoy me that people think I've jumped on this particular bandwagon. I was there as early as it gets, mfers! But also, who gives a **** what anyone thinks anyways, especially these particular dopes. At least because of this resurgence, I now have almost every Can album on vinyl, which I couldn't find one of for twenty years, so that's worth whatever hipster misidentification that comes with it.

Maybe.

For the record, I thought Fox was quite good in Roger Watkins' Her Name Was Lisa.

In reference to the director of A Night to Dismember, Doris Wishman, here is a very terrible copy of an interview she did with Conan O'Brien in the 90's. Roger Ebert is there to, waiting to vent his frustrations with her other famous film, Chesty Morgan.

Victim of The Night
Somebody clearly needs a dose of A Night to Dismember. And if YouTube dared to have the proper version available, I would be currently threatening you with a link.
I'll see if I can come across it.

When you work for Russ Meyer, obviously you develop a snobby high standard for "chesty" motion pictures.