A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Hello all great to see a horror section here. I’ve always been a huge fan of the Halloween franchise, and yes I actually enjoyed Zombies efforts probably in the minority there. Never been a fan of the supernatural ghost type horror movies, although the exorcist and Hereditary are two of my favourite movies of all time.

I just wanted some advice on slasher movies they are the ones for me I’ve watched all the Halloweens, Freddie’s and Jason but I need something else to wet my appetite in the genre or sub genre. I’m gonna re-watch the first two Black Xmas movies and then this recent monstrosity everyone’s talking about. Oh and I watched the original prom night movie the other day that was very very difficult to get through, I know there were plenty of copy cat imitations of the 1978 Halloween masterpiece and that stood out??? Hidden gems????

Hello all great to see a horror section here. I’ve always been a huge fan of the Halloween franchise, and yes I actually enjoyed Zombies efforts probably in the minority there. Never been a fan of the supernatural ghost type horror movies, although the exorcist and Hereditary are two of my favourite movies of all time.

I just wanted some advice on slasher movies they are the ones for me I’ve watched all the Halloweens, Freddie’s and Jason but I need something else to wet my appetite in the genre or sub genre. I’m gonna re-watch the first two Black Xmas movies and then this recent monstrosity everyone’s talking about. Oh and I watched the original prom night movie the other day that was very very difficult to get through, I know there were plenty of copy cat imitations of the 1978 Halloween masterpiece and that stood out??? Hidden gems????
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=62795

Here's a recent thread devoted to slashers

What about the genre appeals to you? That would help with recommending how deep or weird you want to go. What you've listed above is fairly basic slasher fare, so off the top of my head Terror Train is probably the most classic in tone to the Halloween's and F13s.

Okay--I was thinking of a different person. The avatar was like a cowboy leaning in a doorframe?

Still, how awful.
He had a number of James Dean avatars from what I recall. I think one of them might have been from Giant.

I wouldn't say I was super close to him but had been Facebook friends for a couple of years and heard the news from a mutual internet acquaintance. Yeah, just horrible.

What about the genre appeals to you? That would help with recommending how deep or weird you want to go. What you've listed above is fairly basic slasher fare, so off the top of my head Terror Train is probably the most classic in tone to the Halloween's and F13s.
Yeah I see terror train come up on a lot of peoples lists I’m watching that and sleep away camp next. Basically 80s slashers, anything a bit out there is cool.

He had a number of James Dean avatars from what I recall. I think one of them might have been from Giant.

I wouldn't say I was super close to him but had been Facebook friends for a couple of years and heard the news from a mutual internet acquaintance. Yeah, just horrible.

I was aware of him from my decade of lurking, but he was mostly gone by the time I started posting.

Everything about that story is sickening. It's tragic that **** like that happens to people.

I was aware of him from my decade of lurking, but he was mostly gone by the time I started posting.

Everything about that story is sickening. It's tragic that **** like that happens to people.
It feels weird to thumbs up a post about someone's death, so I'll just say that I agree. And I think that what Rock said is helping me remember who he was. Horrible.

I love the first Scream. I know it’s been parodied to death (which is weird because it’s already a parody) but man it holds up.

I love the first Scream. I know it’s been parodied to death (which is weird because it’s already a parody) but man it holds up.
Completely agree, after Halloween it’s my favourite slasher hands down. Which is interesting seen as John Carpenters classic is mentioned and used a lot in the original scream. It’s only scream 3 that is truly bad in the franchise, I have a soft spot for number 2 as well.

Victim of The Night
Yeah I see terror train come up on a lot of peoples lists I’m watching that and sleep away camp next. Basically 80s slashers, anything a bit out there is cool.
Certainly the original My Bloody Valentine (the unrated-est version you can find).
I also liked House On Sorority Row a good bit.

That's really horrible about Mysterious F. I remember him during the early days of the corrierino as well.

Mysterious F doesn't ring a bell for me, but was he known under other aliases in RT/Corrierino?

Mysterious F doesn't ring a bell for me, but was he known under other aliases in RT/Corrierino?
Not as far as I can remember; I think he just had the same username everywhere he posted.

Certainly the original My Bloody Valentine (the unrated-est version you can find).
I knew there was another worthwhile straight forward and by the books slasher out there that I was forgetting.

Ya know, Cujo's not that bad. Misunderstood mutt. Certainly far from the worst of the lame Stephen King adaptations, and dare I say that Dee Wallace is quite good. Like Pet Sematary, it's infected with some wooden prick as the male lead, but without the good sense to kill him off. Luckily, he's largely sidelined.

I wonder if the film's initial reaction was due to the style of gruelling endurance horror was not so common at the time, and if the same film released 20 years later would have been appreciated. Anyway, better than Children of the Corn, fwiw

Ya know, Cujo's not that bad. Misunderstood mutt. Certainly far from the worst of the lame Stephen King adaptations, and dare I say that Dee Wallace is quite good. Like Pet Sematary, it's infected with some wooden prick as the male lead, but without the good sense to kill him off. Luckily, he's largely sidelined.

I wonder if the film's initial reaction was due to the style of gruelling endurance horror was not so common at the time, and if the same film released 20 years later would have been appreciated. Anyway, better than Children of the Corn, fwiw

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, but I remember being fine with it. The general hatred it receives though made me think it's badness was gospel, so I've never thought to go back.

Uh-oh, MKS is gonna flip his shit when he sees all this Cujo love in here...

Uh-oh, MKS is gonna flip his shit when he sees all this Cujo love in here...
One day I will rewatch it and it will reclaim its thrown from The Predator as my least favorite movie.

One day.

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
Thanks to Shudder I'm on a giallo kick. I've seen the following since last week:

1. What Have You Done to Solange? (1972, Dallamano)-91, Shudder
2. The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave (1971, Miraglia)-75, Shudder
3. Short Night of Glass Dolls (1971, Lado)-83, Shudder
4. The Case of the Bloody Iris (1972, Carnimeo)-85, Shudder
5. The Corruption of Chris Miller (1973, Bardem)-85, Shudder
6. The Red Queen Kills Seven Times (1975, Miraglia)-87, Shudder
7. The Fifth Cord (1971, Bazzoni), Shudder

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who