The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

[Harold and Maude]With this one, I don't think Ashby was supporting his actions. Like, yes, Harold and Maude did get happiness from their behavior, but the film also showed how their behavior was negatively effecting those around them. I just read it as personal happiness at the expense and disregard of others.

However, it is certainly fair to dislike his actions. If you didn't like him as a character, that's totally fine.
I think Harold and Maude is a well made film, just not to my liking. I'm not one to say that if I hate a film for a personal reason that it's then universally bad. It's just bad for me, but I view both films as worthy of our countdown.

I like the two film a day rollout because they seem to create some interesting symmetry between the films in question.

One common element of ET and H&M is that they both wear their sentiment on their sleeves, in quite different ways, and I think that how one reacts-to/accepts these films' respective emotional premises has a lot to do with the polarization of responses.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Without sounding too dismissive of people who like Harold and Maude, I do wonder if the music had/has a lot to do with it.
More of a: one of the reasons. For me anyway.
Cat Stevens is an excellent accompaniment to the film.

This is an interesting question, because you might be right about Ashby's intentions. But if so, that might open the film up to criticism on other grounds: specifically, that I'm not sure the people who love it came away with that impression. They mostly seem to like the characters a lot. So it might be an either-or thing, where someone can dislike the film because it seems to be turning crappy behavior into something romantic and admirable, or because it fails to portray the appropriate level of nuance, so that viewers comer away finding said behavior romantic and admirable when that was not the intent.
Here's something semi-relevant to that argument:

That's an interesting argument, one that I think about a lot. If enough people misinterpret a character/plot point in a film, is it the fault of that film, even if there is textual evidence which indicates otherwise? For example, many people wrongly interpret the first half of Full Metal Jacket as lightheartedly funny while not recognizing that the insults Sgt. Hartman uses are done to dehumanize the men into killers. Or, with the pic up above, many people wrongly idolize those characters and call them cool, while failing to recognizing that they're ****ty people who shouldn't be idolized.

This example also goes beyond unlikable characters. For example, It's a Wonderful Life is often falsely read as being upbeat and happy despite it actually being really dark.

My take on this though is that Harold and Maude, Full Metal Jacket, and the films and shows in the above pic have enough textual evidence which indicate that these characters aren't meant to be idolized or to be read as kind, good-mannered people. Their flaws are presented clear as day. Yes, people will still misinterpret them, but my issue with holding that against those films is that by showing too much negative ground for them, this could dilute the points of the characters achieving happiness for what they do, which can be an interesting thing to watch in and of itself due to the complex emotional response it can have on me. With Harold and Maude, if it showed too much examples of their actions negatively harming other people, then the point that they achieved happiness might be harder to pick up on.

With that being said though, I'm curious what your take on this argument is. It's an interesting point. If you think what you're describing is a problem with Harold and Maude, how do you feel about Full Metal Jacket, the films and shows in the pic I posted up above, or even It's a Wonderful Life?

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
I've not seen E.T. or Harold & Maude and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. Sidebar regarding the talks of "pretentiousness" from like 5 pages back: All art is pretentious because the act of making art is inherently pretentious.

I think Harold and Maude is a well made film, just not to my liking. I'm not one to say that if I hate a film for a personal reason that it's then universally bad. It's just bad for me, but I view both films as worthy of our countdown.
Okay, that's fair. Regardless, I enjoyed our discussion and I'm also enjoying this countdown a lot so far.

Hal Ashby is probably one of the most underrated directors in the 70s. Besides "Harold and Maude", I'd urge people to check out The Last Detail and The Landlord.
Love Hal. I think I allowed only a couple directors to have a second film on my list, and he is one. H&M was the first, but we'll see if the second one makes it. (I'd be surprised.)

But..didn't care for "Shampoo"
I think in a lot of ways it's the perfect Warren Beatty movie. So much so that I sometimes wonder if Ashby was making fun of him a little.

Re: Harold and Maude, and Maude's "decision"...

I agree.

WARNING: spoilers below

I always see the relationship, and Maude's "decision" in the end to be liberating to both. You have these two people that see life in similar ways, but face it differently (Harold with his death rituals and obsessions, Maude with an exuberant life). Their relationship ends up reconciling both in a more harmonious way, while also opening Harold to new experiences. Maude had already lived, and part of her being a "free spirit" was her firm decision that, like you said, 80 was a proper age to die, while also ending the relationship on her own terms. Now it's Harold's turn to "live" and "love more". The final scene and shot is a reaffirmation of Harold's rejection of the preconceptions that others have about his life, while embracing his own ways, as taught by Maude ("if you wanna sing, sing").

Seriously, it's a beautiful and thought-provoking film.
That's a good interpretation.

With the ending, do you think Harold fell out of touch with his obsession with death? The way I read the ending was that, after experiencing the horrors and tragedy of someone actually committing suicide, he was no longer able to experience the pleasures he used to have from staging fake suicides. By trashing his hearse, I don't think this was so much another of his fake suicides, but a sign that he's going to move on from his past life. However, I haven't seen this interpretation come up elsewhere, so I don't know if it's the case.

I don't think Harold and Maude was on my list, but I fully approve of its spot in a top 100.

The whole time I couldn't help but think of it as some weird inward-looking phase Harold's going through and will obviously grow out of. But then, I knew a lot of silly teenagers growing up who were, occasionally, very obviously performative about how different they were from others.
I think that it helps if you shift your focus. Yes, Harold's growth is the most obvious long-arc of the film. But next time you watch it, consider the entire sequence of events as
a last hurrah from a woman who knows that she is going to die, and how the freedom that affords her has an impact on Harold, the person she chooses as her companion for this journey. I see Harold dancing away from the cliff as a symbolic shift away from his death obsession and the way that he has let the reactions of other people--even the reactions he intentionally provokes--run his life. He has been "free" in a superficial way until now (doing what he wants), but is now casting off his defiant shield in favor of doing what genuinely makes him feel good from the inside out. Maude's suicide is real. And it is not done to goad a reaction out of others. I think that witnessing this firsthand changes something in Harold and gives him a new respect for both death and life.

Bud was a totally ass wipe to his mom. Both were self centered and didn't care to respect anyone around them, especially Bud. And then Ruth
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
kills herself the ultimate act of selfishness.
Isn't it more selfish to
insist that someone stay alive just because you would be sad/uncomfortable if they died? Obviously people who have mental health issues should be given support. But Maude was perfectly sane and her fears about physical and mental decline are very understandable. Who are we to deny others autonomy over their own lives just because it makes us uncomfortable?

Bud was a totally ass wipe to his mom.
Harold's mom is the one who caused a lot of his emotional damage. Her contradictory pattern of control/neglect - smothering and ignoring him simultaneously - is classic BPD behavior, and exactly why he was resorting to acting out fake suicides: to get her to acknowledge him with the bare minimum of a sincere emotional response. It's important to understanding why Maude was such a liberating counterinfluence for him.

And I agree with Thief that the ending is ultimately liberating for both of them.

I haven't seen Harold and Maude, but his arc sounds almost identical to Cameron's in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and not just because cars are involved. Am I right? If so, I wouldn't consider him selfish.

Without sounding too dismissive of people who like Harold and Maude, I do wonder if the music had/has a lot to do with it.
It's funny because, unlike many here, I'm not exactly a big Cat Stevens fan outside of the music in the film, which collects the best stuff from two of his early records with "Don't Be Shy", which for whatever reason he never bothered to release at the time. I was very happy when they finally released a H&M soundtrack a few years back because that saves me the trouble (heh) of having to cull from all of his other stuff.

I haven't seen Harold and Maude, but his arc sounds almost identical to Cameron's in Ferris Bueller's Day Off and not just because cars are involved. Am I right? If so, I wouldn't consider him selfish.
If Cameron hooked up with Grace the secretary....maybe.

Re: Harold and Maude, and Maude's "decision"...

I agree.

I always see the relationship, and Maude's "decision" in the end to be liberating to both. You have these two people that see life in similar ways, but face it differently (Harold with his death rituals and obsessions, Maude with an exuberant life). Their relationship ends up reconciling both in a more harmonious way, while also opening Harold to new experiences. Maude had already lived, and part of her being a "free spirit" was her firm decision that, like you said, 80 was a proper age to die, while also ending the relationship on her own terms. Now it's Harold's turn to "live" and "love more". The final scene and shot is a reaffirmation of Harold's rejection of the preconceptions that others have about his life, while embracing his own ways, as taught by Maude ("if you wanna sing, sing").

Seriously, it's a beautiful and thought-provoking film.
BRAVO

Robin Hardy is an amazing director/writer... I love his films.. The Wicker Man, The Wicker Tree and Forbidden Sun.
The Fantasist was interesting.

Excuse me if it's been said, but the fact that Harold And Maude is a comedy is very relevant to the characters as well. Maude and the mother are both extreme caricatures. The Harold being rude to his mom and the dates she picks for him is very strange when you consider it is obvious she is 100% oblivious to his personality or desires.

Harold is also wooden and dead eyed on purpose, because he is supposed to come across as completely disconnected from the world. That's what triggers his relationship with Maude. To mot like him is one thing, to change his personality would be to make an entirely different movie.

Even the stealing cars and staged suicides are played for laughs every single time. Again, the behavior is meant to be extreme.

I will say that I think at this point we have all have known enough don't give a damn free spirits to be able to say that lifestyle can be just as self-centered as any other.

I say a gong for Harold and Maude is in order.

I'll let Mark or Mr. minio do the honors.

SC only brought out the gong for Asian movies, unless you know something I don't. (Which is definitely possible.)

Truly loved the conversations regarding Harold & Maude! Their eloquence and depth exceeds any attempt I could falter at. So I will simply add that it is on my top ten but was a last minute cut for this Countdown.
I think I was in my pre to mid-teens the first time I saw this film, enjoying the dark humor thoroughly. As I grew older and revisited this film, I began to understand and appreciate the deeper nuances beyond the faked suicides and minor thefts and how beautiful I found those nuances.
For myself I found Harold's dead-pan characteristic an excellent counter point to Maude's vivaciousness. It works perfectly for me.

Wonderful film.

Seen E.T a few times when it came out and, I do believe I got @Chypmunk beat since I was 18 when it came out. Like CR, I also saw this recently in the Fantasy HoF:

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Elliott: [in hushed tone] Nobody go out there!
Michael: [the boys all spring up excitedly] Ha! Ha! Ha!
[they grab knives]
Mary: Stop, now! You guys stay right here!
Michael: You stay here, Mom, we'll check it out!
Mary: And put those knives back!

They say being a single mom is hard.
Trying to make ends meet, making sure your kids are healthy and safe.
Keeping the fridge fully stocked with Coors beer for the occasional extra-terrestrial with a penchant for a mid day beverage.

It's no easy thing.

God bless Mary for, as frantic as she does get, she's able to roll with it all as her kids take in an alien looking to phone home and, do just that -- go back home.
It's been several decades or more since I've watched this and it's been a lot of fun going back to revisit. It has a lot of heart and definitely gets you caught up in the kids as they do their best to help ET with a number of laugh out loud scenes and a number teary eyed ones as well.
While some of the effects are definitely dated, the magic still shines through and in the end, that's what matters.

Movies Watched 8 out of 12 (66.67%)
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer

Oh, and I have been singing If You Want To Be Free in my head all day despite not having heard the song or watched the movie in at least a year, So, yeah, safe to say Cat plays a part in the movie's popularity. I don't think That's a bad thing though.