Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Ford vs Ferrari, 2019

Much like The Irishman, this was well-made but just not the kind of story I love.

In the mid-60s, a mid-level executive at the Ford motor company urges the company to push their brand in a sexier direction. And the best way to do that, they decide, is to get a car in the mix on the international racing circuit. After failing spectacularly to pull off a merger with Ferrari, Ford sets out to make its own racing car. Carroll Shelby, a retired driver now working as a high-end car salesman, is drafted to lead the effort. He pulls in hot-headed driver Ken Miles and together with a team they work to turn a Ford car into something capable of competing with the best that Ferrari has to offer.

This is a movie that tries to hit the beats of an underdog story, but that's a bit hard to pull off when the underdog is . . . a massive corporation whose boss throws around ethnic slurs. (Oh, who will protect the poor Ford company?!). The film sort of hits on that underdog note, and also sort of goes for an "America, hell yeah!" vibe. To the film's credit, it keeps the competition with their Italian rivals from feeling too xenophobic. The Italian team are the favorites to win and thus are pretty cocky.

Miles and Shelby are enjoyable protagonists, and the film is wise to center their pride and passion. It kind of helps you to forget that they are working in service of an incredibly wealthy company that's trying to build some sexy street cred.

Speaking personally, I really love watching experts problem solve. So the sequences where the team is trying to make the car more and more efficient were what I liked most. The racing scenes themselves are really well done and immersive, and so those were also enjoyable. Damon and Bale look like they're having a good old time in their respective roles, and the supporting cast is also fun.

I haven't seen Incendies yet, but I just want to highlight Polytechnique. It is such an expressive, enraging, and deeply-felt film. At once realistic and dream-like. It's a film that, once I watched it, I felt so confused about why it's not discussed more often. In fact, when I bring it up a ton of people haven't even heard of it.
Great summary of Polytechnique. It’s also terrifying, but it has a certain tenderness and respect to it that many films on the subject don’t. I think Villeneuve’s earlier work in general is obscured by Arrival, Blade Runner 2049 et al.

From what we’ve discussed, I think you’d definitely be interested in Incendies, for what that’s worth, but I don’t know if you’ll like it. Tully is a bit of a safer bet. Incendies-wise, I can almost see how Villeneuve wants to move into detective story-territory in a context where that is not necessarily appropriate. I won’t spoil it for you, but I think flashback sequences are detrimental to the ‘detective’ side of things (unless they’re really vague, but that’s not the case here). It’s like he needed a twist or a punch in his ending despite working in a genre that doesn’t require that for the last hour. Ah well. It’s definitely a powerful film a the twist even works, in a way. But Polytechnique felt more smooth and well-rounded on the narrative level.

(P.S. after all the trouble I’ve taken to procure a decent black comedy, the person in question requested something ‘about the Middle East’. Not sure Incendies even fits the bill!)

Ford vs Ferrari, 2019

Much like The Irishman, this was well-made but just not the kind of story I love...

...This is a movie that tries to hit the beats of an underdog story, but that's a bit hard to pull off when the underdog is . . . a massive corporation whose boss throws around ethnic slurs. (Oh, who will protect the poor Ford company?!).
You’ve got a point. But I think they’re trying to highlight that it’s hard (‘impossible’) for someone to break into the top end of that kind of sport/activity (and especially win!) if they have traditionally been seen to not belong. It’s not ‘oh poor Ford’, but rather ‘Ford can’t race’, stay in your lane, man. In that way, I think it’s more like 8 Mile: the Le Mans prizes are reserved for Ferrari, a particular type of car, and that sends a message about what a non-race car like Ford can or can’t do; it can participate (in a symbolic way), but not win. They wanted to prove they can win.

I also think it’s not your classic underdog story because the only reason Henry Ford wants to win is to annoy Ferrari. There’s no inner burning desire to win because ‘I know I deserve to win’. He also delegates all responsibility to others, so it doesn’t feel like Ford’s personal quest (the film tries to remedy that by having Shelby take him on a ride, but I don’t think that ever makes you feel it’s Henry Ford’s ambition to win).

I quite liked it. But I thought Ken’s wife was quite irrational in her approach to his racing. Not that people can’t be irrational, but she was hot-and-cold all the time.

Knife in the Water (1962, Roman Polanski)

I like how the woman who stays in the shadow throughout most of the film calmly maintains control of the situation, plays the two men like the children that they are, and comes out the winner in the end.

Loved the tight plot, the tensions bubbling underneath the more or less civil facade, the subtle dynamic between the three characters, and on top of it all, the absolutely beautiful, crisp black-and-white cinematography by Jerzy Lipman (who also worked with Andrzej Wajda). A classic, deservedly so.

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Unregistered User

Daisies (1966)

Very trippy, very fun film. I'd like to get more into Czech movies.

The Platform (2019)

Much better than expected. Interesting plot that borrows on The Cube, which was better. A lot is made about the ending but I liked it. Good movie.

The Four Seasons Lodge (2008)

The "Documentaries" thread in the Movie Forums Site thread doesn't get a lot of views, so I'm putting this here.

This is a respectfully well done documentary written by Kim Connell and Andrew Jacobs, and directed by Jacobs. The stars are several dozen concentration camp survivors who gather in the summers at a lodge in the Catskills that they have leased for the past 26 years in order to celebrate life, have fun, reminisce, flirt, and enjoy each other's company.

Some of their stories are stunning, but the film does not dwell on their past misery or the Holocaust, but rather their joy at being alive and reveling in their life among peers. The underlying theme is that they are concerned that the Lodge will be sold out from under them.

The film may be too adult or slow for some of our youngest on the site, but others will be touched by the survivor's sincerity, their good-naturedness, and their positive outlook on life despite their horrific pasts.

It's available on Amazon Prime, and other streaming services.

Doc's rating: 8/10

Ford vs Ferrari, 2019

Pretty good movie, you liked it a little more than I did. The production values are first rate...I don't think it deserved a Best Picture nomination...Christian Bale was great.

(P.S. after all the trouble I’ve taken to procure a decent black comedy, the person in question requested something ‘about the Middle East’. Not sure Incendies even fits the bill!)
It's not specifically ABOUT the Middle East, but are you familiar with Four Lions? It's a fantastic dark comedy about four Muslim men in London who decide to be terrorists, but they are total bozos.

I would also recommend the film Offside, a film about a group of women disguising themselves as men so that they can attend a soccer game in Iran. It's more of a straight comedy.

Or maybe Mustang, the Turkish film which I think is excellent.

You’ve got a point. But I think they’re trying to highlight that it’s hard (‘impossible’) for someone to break into the top end of that kind of sport/activity (and especially win!) if they have traditionally been seen to not belong. It’s not ‘oh poor Ford’, but rather ‘Ford can’t race’, stay in your lane, man. In that way, I think it’s more like 8 Mile: the Le Mans prizes are reserved for Ferrari, a particular type of car, and that sends a message about what a non-race car like Ford can or can’t do; it can participate (in a symbolic way), but not win. They wanted to prove they can win.
But it's not that hard. They have so much money and resources that they are able to buy whatever (and whoever) they need. I mean, there was laughably little resistance. Yes, there were some inter-personal conflicts, but nothing actually was standing in their way.

To me, it's like if Kim Kardashian decided she wanted to win a Grammy. But Kim isn't a singer!! Would it be sort of interesting to watch her try and break into that new world? Yeah, I guess. But when someone has so many resources, it takes a little away from the journey. I'm not taking away from what Shelby and Miles and the rest of the team did and how hard they worked. But when it's in service of someone super rich wanting to buy themselves street cred . . . meh.

The passion wasn't for racing. The passion, if you can call it that, was to improve their marketing, ie make more money. To me, that element was a bit of a black cloud hanging over the film.

(And, yes, the film does acknowledge this a bit. It shows how the marketing side of Ford leads them to betray Miles and make decisions that aren't the best ones. It still had the effect of dampening my enthusiasm.)

And I agree that they didn't know what to do with the character of the wife. They just turned her into an audience-surrogate emotion machine. Oh, now they need someone worried. Oh, now they need someone to cheerlead. Oh, now they need someone to be fiery! She wasn't a human being--she was just a human mirror for her husband's actions.

It's not specifically ABOUT the Middle East, but are you familiar with Four Lions? It's a fantastic dark comedy about four Muslim men in London who decide to be terrorists, but they are total bozos.
Well, that sounds like I need to stop working and get to my laptop...

I would also recommend the film Offside, a film about a group of women disguising themselves as men so that they can attend a soccer game in Iran. It's more of a straight comedy.

Or maybe Mustang, the Turkish film which I think is excellent.
Duly noted. Will check them out. Your recommendations are always off the charts as far as I’m concerned.

But it's not that hard. They have so much money and resources that they are able to buy whatever (and whoever) they need. I mean, there was laughably little resistance. Yes, there were some inter-personal conflicts, but nothing actually was standing in their way.

To me, it's like if Kim Kardashian decided she wanted to win a Grammy. But Kim isn't a singer!! Would it be sort of interesting to watch her try and break into that new world? Yeah, I guess. But when someone has so many resources, it takes a little away from the journey. I'm not taking away from what Shelby and Miles and the rest of the team did and how hard they worked. But when it's in service of someone super rich wanting to buy themselves street cred . . . meh.
It’s actually a pretty good analogy... and well, isn’t she now a lawyer who considered running for president? I mean, people do that because they’re bored. I think that’s part of the film too, that Shelby didn’t have enough excitement in his life after his condition stopped him racing.

The passion wasn't for racing. The passion, if you can call it that, was to improve their marketing, ie make more money. To me, that element was a bit of a black cloud hanging over the film.

(And, yes, the film does acknowledge this a bit. It shows how the marketing side of Ford leads them to betray Miles and make decisions that aren't the best ones. It still had the effect of dampening my enthusiasm.)
See, I kind of get that passion a little bit. It’s all about selling Ford as a company that can win Le Mans ‘because I said so’. But it does make Ford less likeable as a protagonist. It works better if you have more time to explain why these people love to sell, like Mad Men. I guess I’m a bit biased as I work in PR... I do agree that Ford don’t have a ‘moral’/emotional high ground in the film, and that may make the viewer less engaged.

And I agree that they didn't know what to do with the character of the wife. They just turned her into an audience-surrogate emotion machine. Oh, now they need someone worried. Oh, now they need someone to cheerlead. Oh, now they need someone to be fiery! She wasn't a human being--she was just a human mirror for her husband's actions.
Exactly. A shame as Caitriona Balfe is such a good actress. It was all over the place.

Pretty good movie, you liked it a little more than I did. The production values are first rate...I don't think it deserved a Best Picture nomination...Christian Bale was great.
Yeah, I think that it had good performances and a sort of "broad appeal" that tends to pull in those Oscar noms.

It's a very "all-American" feel good story.

Duly noted. Will check them out. Your recommendations are always off the charts as far as I’m concerned.
Thanks!

I thought Mustang was really good. It's about a family of sisters who are kept pretty much confined to their house. As they get married off, they just . . . disappear. Not literally, but the film really captures the isolation that these girls feel and their unhealthy home life.

It’s actually a pretty good analogy... and well, isn’t she now a lawyer who considered running for president? I mean, people do that because they’re bored. I think that’s part of the film too, that Shelby didn’t have enough excitement in his life after his condition stopped him racing.
And if the movie had been about a guy who loved racing and was bored by his salesman job, that would be interesting. But instead it's about a big company who pays the former racer, and that's a bit different.

See, I kind of get that passion a little bit. It’s all about selling Ford as a company that can win Le Mans ‘because I said so’. But it does make Ford less likeable as a protagonist. It works better if you have more time to explain why these people love to sell, like Mad Men. I guess I’m a bit biased as I work in PR... I do agree that Ford don’t have a ‘moral’/emotional high ground in the film, and that may make the viewer less engaged.
But they didn't even love the thrill of selling. They just wanted money. It's like being asked to root for Mr. Krabs.

To me, it's why the rivalry between them and Ferrari kind of falls flat. Ferrari just wants the same thing that Ford does. In fact, as seen from the buyout offer, Ford even has a slight financial advantage. The film does its best, sort of, with the snarling Ferrari driver and overconfident Italian team, but they are no worse than the Ford team. The Ford team is presented as the protagonists, but they have no moral edge over the Italians. And, again, the use of an ethnic slur early in the film set me against the Ford team, not for them.

It's a well-made and well-acted document of an interesting moment in history and it creates an immersive experience. But as a story it's underwhelming.

Thanks!

And if the movie had been about a guy who loved racing and was bored by his salesman job, that would be interesting. But instead it's about a big company who pays the former racer, and that's a bit different.
Actually, that’s true. It makes it less interesting than if it had been a genuine one-guy show. But I suppose they wanted to preserve as much historical accuracy as possible (not that they succeeded as there are plenty of factual mistakes). That’s why they kept the focus on the company, I’d say.

To me, it's why the rivalry between them and Ferrari kind of falls flat. Ferrari just wants the same thing that Ford does. In fact, as seen from the buyout offer, Ford even has a slight financial advantage. The film does its best, sort of, with the snarling Ferrari driver and overconfident Italian team, but they are no worse than the Ford team. The Ford team is presented as the protagonists, but they have no moral edge over the Italians. And, again, the use of an ethnic slur early in the film set me against the Ford team, not for them.

It's a well-made and well-acted document of an interesting moment in history and it creates an immersive experience. But as a story it's underwhelming.
It really is. One criticism I read in Wired a day after the U.K. premiere is something that gets overlooked but that did ruin it for me a bit: there is no explanation why it has to be Miles behind the wheel, save for Shelby’s whim. I mean, yes, he’s good, but for the nearly-Chosen One narrative they are spinning, they really could have tried harder and added some little technical detail that literally makes him the only man for the job.

Here it is:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.w...ari-review/amp

Especially this: ‘Miles is the best, he says, and winning requires the best. It’s here, in this critical moment, that Mangold’s film hits its greatest disconnect. The movie doesn’t link Miles’ cussedness to his talent behind the wheel, or explain why not being a Ford man makes him the man for this Ford. So the central drama—it has to be Miles, public image be damned—falls flat.’

There's an actual David v Goliath racing film in pre-production atm @AgrippinaX@Takoma11; about the Garagistas (the name the Italians called the British independents of the 50's and 60's)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=Garagistas

No idea if/when it'll get released though. There's some talk of this time in the documentary 1: Life On The Limit, which is rather good if you have an interest in racing. If you've seen and enjoyed Senna, then I think this would be worth your time, too.

“I was cured, all right!”
I AM THE LAW!

Guilty Pleasure.
It's a very good adaptation until Stallone removes his helmet. After that scene it's just pure Batman & Robin level of fun!

The adaptation I wanted for years. Just pure Dredd shooting some mothe*****ers! Unfortunaly, I really hate the slowmotion. Good movie anyway.

Theory of Everything, 2014

I thought that this was really fantastic, and I am not usually a fan of biographies.

The Theory of Everything tells the story of Stephen Hawking, beginning with his university life, through his ALS diagnosis, into his married life with his wife Jane, and ending with his international fame.

Part of the problem that I often have with biographies is that in their desire to tell a whole life story, they turn a person's life into a series of bullet-points/highlights. By focusing in on a select several years, the movie is able to dive deeper into the characters and make them feel much more real.

The stellar point of the film is undoubtedly Eddie Redmayne's performance as Hawking. I always have feelings of trepidation when non-disabled actors take on roles of people with disabilities. I've worked for over 15 years with students with a range of disability, and I really dislike it when actors reduce disability to a series of tics, or when movies revel in playing up the most "entertaining" aspect of a disability (like when a character with Tourette's walks around spewing profanity when this is not often the presentation of the disability).

Redmayne does something really special with his portrayal of Hawking. In the scenes before Hawking begins to decline, we get to see Hawking's soft-spoken intelligence and his eccentricity and his humor. It means that when the ALS begins to take away his outward expression, we can still sense and decode the emotions and thoughts of the character. His physical portrayal is exceptional. This goes along with the film's general approach to the story, in that the film doesn't strain to "prove" how smart Stephen is. A handful of scenes get the point across and the physics becomes part of who he is, not the sole element of his identity.

To zoom back out, it's very interesting that the film is based on a book by Jane Hawking, Stephen's wife. I was very impressed with the balance that the film gave to both sides of the marriage, and the story is almost equally Jane's. The love between the two of them is very strong, but the film shows the way that both of them at times feel left out or isolated. Stephen cannot put his arms around his wife, and the flip side is that Jane doesn't have a husband who can embrace her. The film isn't interested in taking sides--it just observes the way that these two people negotiate a really challenging situation. Both partners find themselves drawn to people outside the marriage (Jane to her choir director, Stephen to a speech therapist). The film doesn't condemn either of them for these attractions, and it's integrated in as part of the struggle.

I really enjoyed the way that the film presented Stephen's theories. It's not about him having a series of "Aha!" moments. It's about how his ideas about existence and certainty mix and mingle with his own life. His work focuses on the boundary edges of the universe, yet he finds himself restricted more and more by the boundary of his own body. At the same time, his original prognosis was that he would only live two years, and over and over again he defies the odds to survive various medical calamities.

On a personal note, I worked for 2.5 years with a child who had severe complications from cerebral palsy. She was a wheelchair user and had less control over her body than Hawking. I appreciated that the film showed the harsh reality of assisting someone in a wheelchair. (Are electric wheelchairs nice? Sort of. They weigh a TON and it's so hard to get them up stairs or even up on a curb). Stephen and Jane have several kids, and at one point a character says off-hand "I don't know how Jane does it." LIKE SERIOUSLY!!! HOW DID SHE DO IT?!?! Three kids and also assisting an adult? The fact that almost no one in their circle seems to offer regular help was even more baffling. This is where you see some old-fashioned sexism come into play, as Jane is expected to put aside her own academic pursuits and act as a parent, a partner, and a caretaker.

The last thing I'll mention about this film (which I obviously really loved) is that it looks really great. The colors are wonderfully saturated and there was almost a starburst effect at times that I adored. There are a few moments where the film slips into a first-person perspective from Stephen's point of view and they were really effective.

This was a refreshing, smart, and immersive approach to a biographical film, and I loved it.

I also think it’s not your classic underdog story because the only reason Henry Ford wants to win is to annoy Ferrari. There’s no inner burning desire to win because ‘I know I deserve to win’. He also delegates all responsibility to others, so it doesn’t feel like Ford’s personal quest (the film tries to remedy that by having Shelby take him on a ride, but I don’t think that ever makes you feel it’s Henry Ford’s ambition to win).

I quite liked it. But I thought Ken’s wife was quite irrational in her approach to his racing. Not that people can’t be irrational, but she was hot-and-cold all the time.
IMO it was mostly enjoyable, although the documentary was superior in most ways. Here is my review from February:

Ford v. Ferrari(2019)

It’s difficult to come up with something fresh for an auto racing film. There have been both good ones and poor ones in the past, so the challenge for the production is to captivate and excite the viewer without falling prey to the familiarity of a standard racing film. Ford v. Ferrari almost succeeds.

It’s a true life American success story that portrays the challenge of Henry Ford II to build a Le Mans Prototype race car to overcome Ferrari’s dominance in the Le Mans field, and to become the first U.S. automobile company to do so in that format. There's rarely a surprise conclusion in this type of story, but we'll avoid the spoilers.

There's plenty of excitement in the racing scenes, but most of the competitiveness comes early, and surprisingly between Mr. Ford and Mr. Ferrari rather than from the racing drivers. In fact much of the racing footage could have been from solo time trials. There was little head to head battling. Still the racing filmed from the point of view of the driver was exciting.

The human elements of the story bordered on triteness. Some of the human interaction was obviously exaggerated in a rather hackneyed manner. The writing and portrayal of Ford's racing chairman, Leo Beebe bordered on caricature.

But most of the acting was well done, with Christian Bale being the chief standout. He was able to present nearly a full range, and convincingly so. Matt Damon on the other hand seemed to be playing Matt Damon. Mostly a mail-in part for him.

The writers took some liberties with the actual story, but in the main it was historically close. In my view a better film of the subject was the documentary The 24 Hour War by Nate Adams and Adam Carolla. That film is more exciting and suspenseful, while using real footage and real interviews of the principals.

Ford v. Ferrari is a watchable film with exciting scenes and with good acting by Bale. It's a trifle long, but mostly enjoyable.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Circle (2015)

I remembered I watched this weird video of some guys asking if a kid had good grades, and then they said "Omg she's got a B, let's kill her".

So basically this whole movie is about this weird "circle" with people surrounding a mysterious alien Sphere (reminds me of Gantz tbh), oh yeah there's an alien invasion in this movie but it's not a big deal apparently; the whole movie is about these people trying to decide who deserves to live and who should just die to let the others survive, with them dying every minute or two.

They don't really use names, and that alone gives you an idea of how in this 87 minutes, there are a lot of characters that come and go, so it's hard to root for someone when they could die any second. I believe they were 100 characters initially, and this number keeps going down drastically.

Overall it's an interesting approach of the idea, and it explores a lot of society thematics and ideas about like, what defines a good person, what kind of person should others sacrifice for, what kind of morals does a mixed group of people have and so on. I won't comment on the ending so I'll just said it was entertaining enough to see how it plays out in the end. I don't feel like rating it though, I always have trouble rating stuff