Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Unregistered User
Bacurau 2019 Directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho, Juliano Dornelles

Pleasantly surprised wasn't expecting this type of crazy thriller / western / mystery, great build up, loved it, muito bem film! Nudists with shotguns shootin' sidewayz Blam Blam!
Cheers the samoan lawyer for the heads up!
+

Glad you enjoyed JC. Crazy mash-up but enjoyable

(1982)
This still holds up really well today and is by far the best by a mile in the trilogy. The remake was shockingly bad, and there seems to be rumour that it’s being remade yet again. I’ll give it a miss.

Giovanna d'Arco al rogo (1954)
D: Roberto Rossellini

Operetta concerning the final moments of Jeanne d'Arc. Everything I'd hoped for and more. I've waited 13 years to see this film. Ingrid, you absolute actress and star.

8/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	joan of arc at the stake.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	66941  

(1987)
Some slick camera work and gore filled action makes this Argento movie worth checking out. Probably his last film worthy of any hype. There’s some cheesy acting to be seen and not much explanation on the killers motive, but that all comes with the giallo territory.

Although this was a rewatch, I haven’t viewed this in 10+ years and could hardly remember the plot. Another captivating Hitchcock film which goes to show they don’t make them like they used to. Great performances throughout from Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery with quite a tough subject matter for its time. This was thoroughly entertaining.
I love Hitchcock's films for the most part. I hated Marnie. And I know that "hate" is a strong word, but it is entirely accurate in my case. Everything from the broader theme (of, you know, a man treating a woman like an animal who needs to be trained) to the number of times I had to listen to Connery's smarmy pronunciation of "jaguarini".

Tombstone (1993)

.. it wouldn't get my pick, that's for sure.
You're saying it wouldn't be your huckleberry?

She Dies Tomorrow (2020)

Sort of a weird film somewhere between philosophical drama, J-horror (especially Kairo), and arthouse (or maybe a stripped-down and shoestring budget Malick wannabe). There's no real plot except the titular concept, no explanations, no even a finite ending. Still, something in this slow and seemingly chaotic collection of scenes is moderately fascinating. I can't say I really liked it but it wouldn't surprise me if someone else did.
I am really excited for this movie. I really liked Seimetz's last film (Sun Don't Shine), and the plot sounds like it's my thing.

Re-watch of a good movie. Carey Mulligan so cute.

Was watching Departed on HBO for the nth time, and as it ended I couldn't find my remote. By that time Teen Titans Go to the Movies started on the channel, and am I glad I lost the remote for few minutes.

The first 5 mins got me hooked and I ended up watching or rather laughing throughout the entire movie.

This was like PG-13 Deadpool for kids and even adults to enjoy. And to add to that it had so many references to so many movies (Back to the Future, Lion King, etc) and even the Marvel movies and characters, despite this being a DC movie.

This reminded me of the hilarious Justice Friends that aired alongwith Dexter's laboratory.

It's amazing that I hadn't heard of this flick until tonight.

Was watching Departed on HBO for the nth time, and as it ended I couldn't find my remote. By that time Teen Titans Go to the Movies started on the channel, and am I glad I lost the remote for few minutes.

The first 5 mins got me hooked and I ended up watching or rather laughing throughout the entire movie.

This was like PG-13 Deadpool for kids and even adults to enjoy. And to add to that it had so many references to so many movies (Back to the Future, Lion King, etc) and even the Marvel movies and characters, despite this being a DC movie.

This reminded me of the hilarious Justice Friends that aired alongwith Dexter's laboratory.

Yes teen titans go to movie is realy funny. I saw it with my kids and i loved it as much as them...

Have you ever watched the show?

The Mummy
(1999)
Directed by Stephen Sommers
3.5/5

This is my "go-to" film. When I want to watch something but can't figure out exactly, I watch "The Mummy". By far it's not a great film, but it's a fun film. I love Egyptology and especially Mummies, anything with death rites. It is no way accurate but just a good time. I love how funny Rick (Brendan Fraser)) and Evy (Rachel Weiss) play off each other. Even Jonathan (John Hannah), Evy's no-good brother, is funny with Evy. I have seen this so many time, I can quote lines along with the film. Its an action film, a romance film and a fantasy film. Arnold Vosloo is great as Impotep and Kevin J O'Conner as Beni is hilarious. Its as if the cast was allowed to play off each other's comedy. Yeah, I do dislike American comedies but this is great. It doesn't degrade women or make fun of inappropriate things. There are some quotes that are rememberable. "You're wondering what is a place like me doing in a girl like this?", "You better think of something fast, because, if he turns me into a mummy you're the first one I'm coming after." and "You probably could've got 'em for free. All we had to do was give him your sister". There are many more. So when I want to watch something a bit silly, I know I can watch this and enjoy.

Always Be My Maybe, 2019

You know how sometimes a movie is a total cliche and completely predictable, and yet it does everything so well that you just don't care?

Marcus and Sasha are friends as children--Sasha's parents are never around and she practically grows up at Marcus's house and is especially close with Marcus's mother, Judy. After Judy dies suddenly and unexpectedly, Sasha and Marcus finally tip into a sudden sexual relationship which ends in an equally hurtful breakup hours later. Fast forward 16 years and Sasha is a successful celebrity chef while Marcus works with his father installing air conditioners. The two reconnect and stumble through their complicated feelings.

Gosh, will they end up together? Gee whiz, will Sasha learn to reconnect to her "authentic" cuisine roots? Hmm, will Marcus shake off his past trauma to pursue his ambitions?

As they say, it isn't the destination--it's the journey. To begin with, Randall Park and Ali Wong in the lead roles have excellent chemistry and comedic timing. They are supported by an excellent roster of secondary characters, like Michelle Buteau as Sash's assistant, or Charlene Yi as a passive-aggressive member of Marcus's band. (Sidenote: Marcus's band, Hello Peril, is also a highlight).

One of the only things I really knew about this film going in was the notorious extended cameo from Keanu Reeves. And . . . wow. There are plenty of actors who have spoofed themselves in film, but this is up there. It's a fearless self-parody and his scenes are a real highlight.

While it might not be the most original concept, the execution is totally solid. I read a few criticisms online that the writing was weak, but I thought that there were several laugh out loud moments and the cast elevates the material and keeps things fun all the way through. Maybe more of a 3.5, but it really cheered me up and thus a generous 4.

FOOTLOOSE
(1984)

Re-watch. Classic 80's flick that packs heart, grit, an awesome original soundtrack and dance choreography, and excellent performances by the entire cast. Sure it's cheesy and unrealistic (a town where music and dancing is banned), but it's still great fun to watch 36 years on.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Pushover (1954)

Starring the inestimable Fred MacMurray, Kim Novak in her first lead role, and likeable Philip Carey, this is a fascinating noir/suspense film that IMO is one of the best of the 1950s style noirs.

Director Richard Quine, who was freshly off the capable noir Drive a Crooked Road, not only directed several future Novak films, but he also married her. His direction here was first rate, although the plotting --from the screenplay by Roy Huggins (Maverick, Rockford Files)-- was a little uneven.

10 years after the great Double Indemnity MacMurray was featured in this similar role: good guy tempted by a femme fatale gets involved in a crime, and is punished for it. But the dialogue was not quite as snappy, despite some quotable lines, and the forbidden but lustful attraction between MacMurray and Novak was not as powerful as the earlier film. OTOH the film did not have the benefit of Raymond Chandler's wonderful dialogue.

Still this is a fine film and a must-see for noir fans. It's available on YouTube.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Yes teen titans go to movie is realy funny. I saw it with my kids and i loved it as much as them...

I hope they didn't ask you 'The question' in the end.
I thought that was hilarious, but then again I am not a parent.