R.I.P. Ennio Morricone

Tools    

Just as we're about to finish our Westerns Countdown, which will have two movies in the top five which he composed the music for, Ennio Morricone died at the age of 91. Those Eastwood spaghetti westerns were definitely the first movies where I as a young kid noticed the music, and so the music for those films have been with me all my life. Beyond the spaghetti westerns he composed music for hundreds of films and what he brings to a movie always makes the film better. He is truly a legend and dare I say, a genius. R.I.P.

https://variety.com/2020/film/global...91-1234698707/

What a terrible news to wake up to. Sad sad day.

Heaven is richer with him in it. RIP.

I loved all his music. But my personal favourite was Lolita OST, which is rather underrated.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Meant to make a thread! You were faster!

One of the best film composers ever. Perhaps the greatest.

R.I.P.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The greatest that ever was. He was the soul of the spaghetti westerns and that alone deserved him a place among the cinema Gods. But he didn't stop and gave us more than 500 masterpieces! Rest in peace Maestro.

The more legends that die, the more the business seems like a hollow, faceless, talentless corporate machine.

The MCU really does sum it up.

If I asked who wrote the music to Batman (1989) or Superman: The Movie... you'd know it was John Williams and Danny Elfman.

But who wrote the music for Spider-Man Homecoming?
Thor?
I have absolutely no idea.
I couldn't even tell you who directed Homecoming.

Here is to you, Ennio. Rest forever here in our hearts.

The trick is not minding
A legend. His film scores have become iconic. From his spaghetti westerns, to The Thing, and his amazing end theme for The Untouchables. His legacy will never allow him to be truly gone. He lives on in his music, ethereal. Composing from the heavens.

Just heard on the news there about this. Such a remarkable and prolific composer, who created so many scores that will ensure his legacy lives on forever. Thank you, Ennio. Rest in peace.

From one of my favourite Morricone film scores, with the Maestro himself:

Welcome to the human race...
R.I.P. to one of the best to ever do it, who elevated every film he worked on, who turned out masterpiece after masterpiece, and who ended up proving the Razzies' utter irrelevance by getting nominated.

The more legends that die, the more the business seems like a hollow, faceless, talentless corporate machine.

The MCU really does sum it up.

If I asked who wrote the music to Batman (1989) or Superman: The Movie... you'd know it was John Williams and Danny Elfman.

But who wrote the music for Spider-Man Homecoming?
Thor?
I have absolutely no idea.
I couldn't even tell you who directed Homecoming.
I could name Mark Mothersbaugh (Thor: Ragnarok) or Ludwig Goransson (Black Panther) off the top of my head - it probably helps that the former was in Devo, though. Wouldn't argue that the music they composed doesn't really stand out on its own merits, but I don't think that's endemic to the MCU (think they've definitely demonstrated a preference for licensed tracks anyway). Even skimming the Oscar nominees for Best Score from the last ten years doesn't yield much in the way of memorable (let alone positively so) themes. After all, making a good theme is vital to making a good overall score because of how it can end up forming the backbone of the whole thing - recurring leitmotifs, variations, reprisals, all that kind of thing. Morricone's brilliance lay in how well he could come up with multiple strong themes for a single film (Once Upon a Time in the West arguably being the best example of this by coming up with extremely distinctive themes for each of the lead characters), which is also true of the likes of Williams or Elfman. But maybe it's also a change in how film score composition is approached and how hard it is to truly innovate or capture lightning within the long-established orchestral arena - it's not like Williams has made anything on par with The Hateful Eight in his later years, and it might also explain why The Social Network's dark electronics proved one of the best scores of the 2010s.

An immense loss. So many iconic scores; his music elevated great films to even greater heights. Truly one of the greatest film composers ever. Be at peace Ennio.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Pet Shop Boys and Ennio Morricone - It Couldn't Happen Here