Movie Tab

Tools    

Shrek 2 (d. Andrew Adamson, 2004)
Solaris (d.Steven Soderbergh, 2002)
Barton Fink (d. Joel & Ethan Coen, 1991)

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Zzat
Solaris (d.Steven Soderbergh, 2002)

What did you think?

I just watched:

Full Metal Jacket
(Kubrick, 1986) - Excellent Sunday morning viewing.

Originally Posted by Sedai
What did you think?
A wonderfully crafted essay on grief and guilt.

To Kill a Mockingbird (d. Robert Mulligan, 1962)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Grand Theft Parsons - a low budget indie film that people should make a point of watching. Darkly funny and a great performance from Johnny Knoxville (!). who knew he could act?

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Recently I have bought and watched

Romper Stomper - ****
Baise Moi - ***
The Wicker Man - ***
Lost In translation - ****
The excorcist - *****
Fargo - ****
Irreversible - *****

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
The Lady Eve - (d. P. Sturges, 1941)

Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope - (d. G. Lucas, 1977)

Star Wars, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - (d. I. Kershner, 1980)

Big - (d. P. Marshall, 1988)
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

You ready? You look ready.
Lethal Weapon 4 (d. Richard Donner, 1998)-
The Mummy (d. Stephen Sommers,1999)-
The Last Boy Scout (d. Tony Scott, 1991)- This movie tied with Die Hard for my number one favorite movie. If not for a few things it would be number one. I think I have a thing for Bruce.
Witness (d. Peter Weir, 1985)- Ford; What a career.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
I think I have a thing for Bruce.
really

The Incredibles
- Pixar has topped themselves completely. Being one of the eleven animated films nominated for an oscar, I've never seen anything like it. It is one of the best films of the year.

Watched 'My Own Private Idaho' and 'Little Nikita' again recently... I think I was on a bit of a River Phoenix trip! lol!

history *is* moralizing
A Tale of Two Sisters, Korea 2003, great movie, scary (really!), very very beautiful pictures/photography (now that's art!), much superior to all the trendy and repetitive Japanese so-called horror thrillers. At last this one goes farther than ghosts!..

Tomie - Forbidden fruit, Japan 2002, well, apropos repetitive Japanese movies that keep copying other Japanese movies... this is one more...

Face, Korea 2004, still another proof that Korean movies are (are becoming?) superior and (this is the word) far more beautiful (and scarier) than Japanese ones. This one may still not compare to the one mentioned above, but it's pretty good.

Affliction (d. Paul Schrader, 1997)
Cinemania (d. Angela Christlieb & Stephen Kijak, 2002)
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (d. Donald Petrie, 2003)
Scream (d. Wes Craven, 1996)
Spider-Man (d. Sam Raimi, 2002)
Three Colours: Blue (d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993)

Around the World in 80 Days 7/10

--I did not like this version as much as the Pierce Brosnan version, although it was very enjoyable. It is quite obviously a child's movie, in that it was filled with bright colors and superific camera actions and glitzy-ness. I do believe they hammed the story up for the kiddies. Terrible butchery of the real story, and I think it served to make it all too.....too.......heroic. Ugh.

This just wasnt meant to be that.....heroic. It WAS a triumph for the Dr., but it wasnt quite that kind of victory over evil people triumph that they made it out to be. Further abberations: they changed his lady-love interest; they changed the sequenc of his traveling machines (I hated that!); they stuck ARNOLD in there! (Ugh.); and they basically destroyed the man that the Dr. was.

Why?

The Dr. was a man of precision. Very detailed, very strict in his timeliness. Very self-imposed lonely lifestyle. The point of the movie was that he transcended his habitual lifestyle to take a friendly (emphasis on friendly!) wager, and found a reason to continue living spontaneously when he found a girl in Asia.

JC was great as usual--very funny with his antics and excellent moves, etc., but I find that while I enjoyed the candycoated childlike nature of this flick, I prefer the older version better.

Shrek 2 10/10 This movie was hilarious!

Richard III (d. Richard Loncraine, 1995)

Man on Fire - This movie's whack fo' sho'. But the more I think about it, the more I kind of like it. Except the sound design, I think it could have been a lot better in that department. (If you like the style this movie has watch, City Of God.)

Casablanca - This is the definition of a chick movie, and I don't care because I like it. "Here's lookin' at you kid."
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Affliction (d. Paul Schrader, 1997) is great!
Meh. It's good, not great.

Heaven & Earth (d. Oliver Stone, 1993)
Cape Fear (d. Martin Scorsese, 1991)
Wall Street (d. Oliver Stone 1987)