The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Abyss

Ok, big one out of the way.

I don't really like James Cameron and 2h50 minutes of this seemed too long even before it starts.
Sounds like you watched the extended addition. Should have gone for the theatrical one.Theatrical is only 145 minutes vs the extended which is 171 minutes.

Reading the behind the scenes stuff on that movie is INSANE!!!

Suspect's Reviews

PLOT: A news reporter goes to a resort to unwind after a traumatic experience with a killer, but not all is as it seems there.

Pretty weak on story and character, but what else did you expect from a cheesy 80's horror film? Not a bad story, just nothing we haven't seen before. I really liked that couple who were trying to solve the mystery though.
Effects wise? Great! The transformation scenes were very effective. Quite liked how the presentation of werewolves in this film is different than the norm (Thought they still keep the whole silver bullets shtick).
The acting was funny at times but not something that really took away from the experience at all, Patrick Macnee probably gave the best performance.
Not a particularly scary horror film, though it does get quite exciting during the last thirty minutes; Considering the chase and fight scenes, and not to forget about that score.

I have a feeling that Siddon nominated this one. Good film.

+
(Might change it to a 7/10 in the future, usually takes me a week or two to fully understand my opinion on a film).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Straight Story

Alvin Straight: You don't think about getting old when you're young... you shouldn't.
Steve: Must be something good about gettin' old?
Alvin Straight: Well I can't imagine anything good about being blind and lame at the same time but, still at my age I've seen about all that life has to dish out. I know to separate the wheat from the chaff, and let the small stuff fall away.

If you had told me that in '99 David Lynch directed a G-Rated Walt Disney film I would have laughed, thinking you were pulling my leg. I mean, migod, this is the man who's known for Mulhound Drive, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead and Twin Peaks!
But, holy sh#t, he DID.
And it was quite the endearing, heartwarming affair. There was a small amount of cheesiness befitting a G Rating for a Disney film, but, on the whole, a very warm and enjoyable film. And he truly brought the "life" of country folks with a deep sincerity without the usual caricatures that normally show up in a lot of films.

Based on true events five years prior about an old man who rides his John Deere lawnmower from Iowa to Wisconsin for a total of around 250 miles to see his estranged brother who had a stoke. Played by Richard Farnsworth whom I just loved in my recent watch of The Grey Fox. Looking him up I was amazed by how many very, very minor parts he's been in from films I've seen and never realized he was in.

There are a lot of pearls of wisdom that are spread about on his travels and some very amusing scenes. Such as when he takes his original lawn mower out and it dies, so he gets towed back to his house where he takes out his hunting rifle and shoots it. I burst out laughing at that.
I was also a little surprised (in a very good way) when he was talking with another Vet from WWII and the story he shares with him. It's a dark one and one that you'd only see being shared between two Vets. Not one to be in a G Rated Disney film but it fitted beautifully in the conversation and for the story as well.

A little bit of sad trivia regarding this film, Farnsworth was terminally ill with bone cancer while shooting this but insisted on doing it due to his admiration of the actual Alvin Straight. He died the following year after the film was made.

I cannot, for the life of me, guess WHO picked this for me, but they definitely found one that touched this old man's heart. THANK YOU

The Howling was a huge favorite of mine back in the 80's to early 90's, but then I didn't see it for several years. I finally watched it again for the recent horror countdown, and well I liked it about as much as Hash did. Maybe a little more. It wasn't as scary as I remembered, but the effects were still awesome and I dig the atmosphere.

I was never interested in The Straight Story but tried it a while back on recommendation from Honeykid. Echoing Ed, nobody would guess this is a David Lynch film by watching it. I really gained a new respect for his talent, great film.

As for the reveal you've all been waiting for, I'll be back in a little bit to name the member responsible for my viewing of Parasite. Unless of course this member is brave enough to come forward on their own.

The trick is not minding
What I didn't like was how abrupt the ending was. Something was missing for me, especially since the first half of the film focused a lot on Brody's struggle with keeping everyone (the local people, the mayor and his own family) happy. After the giant climax before it, the ending just felt underwhelming.
I dunno dude, the Jaws ending is the only ending I can think of where it's so badass, I legitimately get goosebumps thinking about it.

Also love this scene with the random shooting star
I love shots that show the night sky. Spielberg was always good at this. See Close Encounters as well for the night time shots.
Platoon had a nice shot of the night sky as well.

The trick is not minding
The Howling was a huge favorite of mine back in the 80's to early 90's, but then I didn't see it for several years. I finally watched it again for the recent horror countdown, and well I liked it about as much as Hash did. Maybe a little more. It wasn't as scary as I remembered, but the effects were still awesome and I dig the atmosphere.

I was never interested in The Straight Story but tried it a while back on recommendation from Honeykid. Echoing Ed, nobody would guess this is a David Lynch film by watching it. I really gained a new respect for his talent, great film.

As for the reveal you've all been waiting for, I'll be back in a little bit to name the member responsible for my viewing of Parasite. Unless of course this member is brave enough to come forward on their own.
I need to rewatch it but I’ve always enjoyed the Howling. It’s still effective as a horror film to me, especially the shape changing scene. The music helps set the mood, much like The Thing.

Ok I can't torture you all any longer. The person responsible for me watching Parasite is....

The one...

The only....

Ahwell!!

Thank you Ahwell for a great nomination(even though technically you delayed me watching it)!

Ok I can't torture you all any longer. The person responsible for me watching Parasite is....

The one...

The only....

Ahwell!!

Thank you Ahwell for a great nomination(even though technically you delayed me watching it)!
Oops. Well glad you loved it haha.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I can understand that....If you want, you can pick a movie for me to watch from my MoFo list that I haven't seen, that you think I will like. I will post about it, no obligations, I won't pick one for you. I'd like to get a recommendation from you, if you like to.

Okay, I looked through your MoFo lists, and I found a movie that I would recommend for you. I think it might be a bit of a risky choice, but I think you'll like it. It has a nice blend of sci-fi, drama and romance, and it even has Vincent Price in it.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

It's on the "OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films" list, and the "Movie Forums: Top 100 of the 1990s" list.

But remember, I warned you that I don't think I'm good at giving recommendations, so don't blame me if you hate it.

The trick is not minding
I can understand that....If you want, you can pick a movie for me to watch from my MoFo list that I haven't seen, that you think I will like. I will post about it, no obligations, I won't pick one for you. I'd like to get a recommendation from you, if you like to.

Okay, I looked through your MoFo lists, and I found a movie that I would recommend for you. I think it might be a bit of a risky choice, but I think you'll like it. It has a nice blend of sci-fi, drama and romance, and it even has Vincent Price in it.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)

It's on the "OFCS's Top 100 Sci-Fi Films" list, and the "Movie Forums: Top 100 of the 1990s" list.

But remember, I warned you that I don't think I'm good at giving recommendations, so don't blame me if you hate it.

This counts as being in. Quick! Everyone throw nominations her way! 😎

The Abyss

I don't really like James Cameron and 2h50 minutes of this seemed too long even before it starts.
It falls right into the action, so there's not much build up and we don't get to know the characters well, except for the leading couple. The acting is decent, though noone stands out but what bothered me the most was the pacing... This could easily have 90 minutes less and make the same effect. Instead we are left with a movie that can't decide if it's an alien film or a film on the Cold War.
It had some redeeming moments of tension that is really well executed but it ends up being lost among the rest, which is a shame because this could have been solid with another edit.
Still glad I watched it, cause it's apparently well known, but won't revisit again.

It's a shame you didn't like The Abyss more. I thought it was a great movie, but I think I saw the shorter version. I don't remember it being almost 3 hours long.

The trick is not minding
The Abyss

It falls right into the action, so there's not much build up and we don't get to know the characters well, except for the leading couple. The acting is decent, though noone stands out but what bothered me the most was the pacing... This could easily have 90 minutes less and make the same effect. Instead we are left with a movie that can't decide if it's an alien film or a film on the Cold War.
It had some redeeming moments of tension that is really well executed but it ends up being lost among the rest, which is a shame because this could have been solid with another edit.
Still glad I watched it, cause it's apparently well known, but won't revisit again.

It's a shame you didn't like The Abyss more. I thought it was a great movie, but I think I saw the shorter version. I don't remember it being almost 3 hours long.
I think he needs to watch the original version. Running time makes a huge difference in some films

Galaxy Quest 1999 Directed by Dean Parisot

Fun, fun, fun exactly what you need during a quarantine lock-down.
Great Sci-Fi parody comedy adventure. With an excellent and fun cast; Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell to name a few. Lot's of laugh out loud moments because of the well written nerd humor and lots of 'inside jokes' from early Sci-Fi TV shows, mainly Star Trek.

High production value, wardrobe and set design all very well done. Making this movie much more than your average quick cheap scoring parody and explains why it's still entertaining and funny when you watch it two decades after it was released.

Galaxy Quest could very well be the most successful sci-fi space opera parody because I can't think of another one right now. Except maybe Spaceballs which I haven't seen since it's release. So I wonder if that one is still watchable and funny today.

Clever pick, whoever recommended this probably knows I love my sci-fi series and Sci-Fi in general. Right now I'm thinking maybe CR because he's the only one in this HoF I know for sure is a certified Trekkie.

+[/center]

Great review of a fun movie. Galaxy Quest should be required watching for every Star Trek fan, especially if you've ever gone to a sci-fi convention.

I love Spaceballs too, but that's more for Star Wars fans. IMO, Galaxy Quest is the better movie of the two.

Jaws
(1975)

This review may contain spoilers!

I knew that I'd be in for a treat, before even having seen anything yet, when I heard the first notes of the iconic theme. This film is a classic for a reason. It manages to be scary long before the shark is shown and exactly that makes it so much better when you finally get to see him.

But Jaws isn't just scary. Roy Scheider plays Martin Brody, the new police chief of a small island village that thrives on beach tourism. After suspicions of a shark attack at the local beach, he has to choose between staying true to his morals and guaranteeing safety or keeping the locals, who need the beach tourism to keep their heads above water, happy. We can see him struggling with this, while also having to try to keep his own family safe and this makes Jaws much more than just another scary movie.

What I didn't like was how abrupt the ending was. Something was missing for me, especially since the first half of the film focused a lot on Brody's struggle with keeping everyone (the local people, the mayor and his own family) happy. After the giant climax before it, the ending just felt underwhelming.

My favorite part of the film was the second half when Brody was on the boat together with marine biologist Hooper and an old fisherman called Quint. I was constantly kept on the edge of my seat and on top of that, I loved the chemistry between Brody, Hooper, and Quint, three characters that couldn't be more different. I have to mention Robert Shaw's acting here because his portrayal of Quint played a big role in this.

Jaws definitely deserves its status as a must-see. Besides just having a good story and a combination of characters that works great together, the direction and fantastic score manage to create a whole new level of suspense.

Great review, but I disagree about the ending.

I envy you. I would love to go back in time and be able to see Jaws for the first time.

Bambi (1942)
Studio: Walt Disney
Genre: Family Animation
Who do I think nominated it: Ahwell
My reaction:

I was surprised by how dark the themes in Bambi were. I assumed this was a G rated family movie, but in someways it had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever watched. That would be the hunting scene with little Bambi and his mom

Though that hunting scene really shouldn't surprise me, as Bambi was made during World War II...and with the carnage of war came a much darker tone to movies, especially film noir. But now, I know those more dismal themes of loss of life were also represented in Disney's animated feature.

I really appreciated the artistry of the hand created animated cells that make up the film. There's such a deeply rich and beautiful look to the woodland home of the forest animals. What I liked most was how the community of animals were shown to be in harmony with nature and it was man's intrusion into the animal's woods that brought chaos and death.

I'm glad to have finally watched this classic.

Bambi has been one of my favorite movies since I was a kid, and Thumper is my favorite rabbit in movies and TV.

A lot of people don't realize that Disney movies have a dark side to them, but if you watch for it, it's there.

Did you know that the Disney animators used to use the words "Man is in the forest" as code words to warn the other animators that Walt Disney was coming, and they should get back to work?

Ha, I love your opening sentence! I've not seen Galaxy Quest but I've heard about it from GBgoodies she loves it (are we sure she didn't secretly join)...True enough I'm a big fan of Star Trek, well not the latest reboots.
Nope, it wasn't me.

That has got to be the best description about Jaws that I've read. I think a film's scariness is relative to one's exposure to other horror/thriller films. I'm guessing you've seen a lot of them? When I first seen Jaws it was first run at the movie theater, I went with my parents. I was so scared by the movie, that when walked across the open asphalt payment to the car, I started feeling anxious as if the shark could swim up and bite me. I had to tell myself there are no sharks under the asphalt payment! Silly but true.
I was never afraid of sharks under the pavement, but I still won't go swimming in the ocean. Swimming pools only, and that's Spielberg's fault.