18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

It's gonna be a rewatch for me. And I wasn't too keen on it either, though I didn't necessarily hate it. I do see and somewhat agree with some of CR's point and do remember thinking something along those lines...

I definitely didn't understand the massive praise for it, though I did like the ending that CR didn't.

I loved Willem Dafoe in it though. Huge plus for the movie. I'm looking forward to a revisit though. I hope to like it more.
I should mention that I didn't hate it, more like I was disappointed. I was interested in it for the first hour or so, but after that I started noticing some of the filler scenes (or call them in-between scenes where not much is happening) those filler scenes got repeated by changing them slightly, which seemed like lazy writing to me. I wanted something deeper and more real from life in this unique place and it was a unique concept.

Boyhood
made me feel like I was part of that families life and I believed them as real, but not so with the mom and kids in The Florida Project.

Oh, I did like Willem DeFoe in it and I was impressed with the unique and visually interesting shooting locations (buildings, fields, etc) that the director of photography found.

I'll probably rewatch Perfect Blue tonight, since it's the shortest of the movies I have left.

I'm only working a half shift tomorrow and then have three days off so it's possible that I'll have all but The Little Stranger finished by Monday.

18th Hall of Fame
“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”

82 years later and Disney’s first dreamy fairytale still stands as the fairest of all. While my yearning for yodeling hasn’t got any greater over the years, there is one exception to such extensive goofiness… and this is it.

‘Snow White’ might be 82 years old, but there are no wrinkles to spot on this beauty, that’s for sure. The animation is astonishing and awe-inspiring, paving the way for all the animations to come – and just like The Yellow Brick Road, this pathway is a precious one for family films, and stands just as perfect as it once did… no cracks or dirt to spot. Of course, you can tell where and how animation has evolved over time, but I’m still surprised with the level of ambition the animators must have had. Beautiful pans, turns and swirls that must’ve been a real challenge to pull off – and in feature length!

The story is timeless and the execution of it has aged like a fine wine. The way animation is made and presented these days is paced very differently and done with a whole different mindset too. ‘Snow White’ actually takes its time to build up the story and characters and thereby earns every scene and every transition between them throughout its runtime, which is just as short and sweet as the movie itself. The film is filled with innocence and innovative animation and art design, which charms its way into our souls and leaves our hearts completely exposed, expertly carved out by Disney and their unsurpassed spellbinding sorcery, told through canvases of uncompromised art and passion.

I recently re-read my last write-up for this movie, which was positive, but not exactly pouring with love… more like appreciation. The latter is still a matter, but I definitely feel like the appreciation, admiration and affection kind of bleeds together more, this time around, and only for the better. I certainly had a more wholesome experience with this rewatch and there is something about this movie that is simply eternal…

-

I wonder what I'll think of Snow White since I haven't seen it before.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Nice. We can be slowpokes together. I mean I won't be super slow, but probably a one a week pace.
Haha, yeah maybe. Though I do expect to pick up my pace... I'm kinda only behind because entered late.

You guys are fast. I can't keep up with you guys anymore.
I usually watch one movie every night, followed by an old favorite TV show on DVD. Right now that's Star Trek The Next Generation. I requested all the noms from my library, so I figured what the hell I'll just watch all those in a row, so I can return them...But I'm not rushing for the sake of rushing.

“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”

I recently re-read my last write-up for this movie, which was positive, but not exactly pouring with love… more like appreciation. The latter is still a matter, but I definitely feel like the appreciation, admiration and affection kind of bleeds together more, this time around, and only for the better. I certainly had a more wholesome experience with this rewatch and there is something about this movie that is simply eternal…
That's probably because you watched a lot of Disney animation since then and so built up a working knowledge of Disney's animation style...giving you a new appreciation for the skills of those early animators. I always admire it when someone delves into a subject matter or director's work and thus gets a good feel for the flow of time on cinema.

That's probably because you watched a lot of Disney animation since then and so built up a working knowledge of Disney's animation style...giving you a new appreciation for the skills of those early animators. I always admire it when someone delves into a subject matter or director's work and thus gets a good feel for the flow of time on cinema.
For sure. You are definitely right. Watching every Disney Classic and going in depth with reviewing and whatnot back in 2015 was one of my best decisions ever. Such a fun, enlighting and interesting experience.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I always assume that at least one person is going to hate whatever I nominate.
I usually worry more about what I'm going to hate.
I worry what you're going to hate too
But I am getting closer to finding almost tolerable films for you.

Nowhere near, but close.

Omigod, I just realized, we have a variance of the Love/Hate relationship.
I love your films, you hate mine

I worry what you're going to hate too
But I am getting closer to finding almost tolerable films for you.

Nowhere near, but close.

Omigod, I just realized, we have a variance of the Love/Hate relationship.
I love your films, you hate mine
Ed, that makes you the enabler Joking of course

Brimstone (2016)

*SPOILERS*

This received some buzz here on release but I just didn't get around to it at the time. There was a point about 20 minutes into Brimstone, where I thought this was a good movie from the past few years that I'd completely overlooked. Sadly, by the end of the film that was no longer the case. Not that there aren't things to like about it as a whole. It got under my skin a few times early on which Koolhoven deserves credit for. There are some nice visual set pieces, including one towards the end of the Revelation act that I liked a lot. I also admire its willingness to take risks but I feel it pushes into overboard territory with how the film progresses.

Instead of using the violence and misery in an engaging way, it wallows and revels in it for two and a half hours for no meaningful reason. A lot of the plot happens just for the sake of adding in more misery and more violence. Characters that are close to Liz serve little purpose other than to be abused to increase her own physical and mental suffering. They're like mannequins standing around waiting to either be tortured or killed. Because there's so much of this, I became numb to it after a while and lost interest. I thought the ending was underwhelming as well and I wonder if it would have been better cutting as she hits the water.

Also, The Reverend is a ridiculous character that I could not take seriously. A caricature of the embodiment of evil. He's essentially a sharpshooting aggressively religious sadist whose primary goal is violent incest and who spouts absolute nonsense. Bad pretentious dialogue which Guy Pearce tries to make work but I wasn't enjoying it. He's like something out of a superhero comic in that last act too.

Brimstone wasn't awful but I ended up disliking it quite a lot by the time the credits rolled.

Road to Perdition (Sam Mendes, 2002)
Imdb

Date Watched: 02/03/19
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 18th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by edarsenal
Rewatch: Yes

I've seen this film once before - 17 years ago when it was still in the theater. I didn't care at all for the film back then and when I saw it nominated for this Hall of Fame - and by edarsenal, whose nominations I never seem to like - I was not too enthused.

Watching it tonight, I really have to question why I disliked it all those years ago. I've never found the subject of mobsters all that interesting, but I was really drawn in by the way this film was presented and its focus on the relationship between the father and son. The performances were all quite good, with Tom Hanks - stepping out a bit from his usual good guy roles - and Jude Law, who I normally dislike, the standouts. I also really liked the dark, moody look of the film as well and found this to be overall a very solid and engaging watch. I doubt it'll ever become a personal favorite, but I expect it'll rank high on my HOF ballot.

+
wait - what??

you liked it?!?!?

NO. . . . . REALLY?!!?!

Hold on, does this mean I have to like yours?
dammit

• @edarsenal *Nomination received
  • @Neiba *Nomination received
  • @Nathaniel *Nomination received
  • @MovieMeditation *Nomination received

Remember February 11th is the first deadline to get your first review in, if you PM me I'll grant you a week extension
We had a really nasty bit of weather last week and part of this one, below 30 degrees on two days and with the job I have dispatching tow trucks it's been a madhouse to say the least, but I will be posting a review before then.

[center]Brimstone (2016)

Also, The Reverend is a ridiculous character that I could not take seriously. A caricature of the embodiment of evil. He's essentially a sharpshooting aggressively religious sadist whose primary goal is violent incest and who spouts absolute nonsense. Bad pretentious dialogue which Guy Pearce tries to make work but I wasn't enjoying it. He's like something out of a superhero comic in that last act too.
WARNING: "SPOILERS for Brimstone" spoilers below

The way I understood it was that Liz killed Reverend in the brothel. This means that in acts 1 and 4 he's actually some sort of supernatural being back from Hell to haunt Liz (in IMDb trivia it's said that he has blue eyes in acts 2 & 3 but black in 1 & 4 - I forgot to pay attention to that on my rewatch). This way his, umm, considerable capabilities during the last act don't seem odd at all.

Other than that I can understand that it's not a movie that everyone is going to like. It's one of the bleakest films I've seen but I often like stuff like that. I'm pretty sure that CR will absolutely hate it

The way I understood it was that Liz killed Reverend in the brothel. This means that in acts 1 and 4 he's actually some sort of supernatural being back from Hell to haunt Liz (in IMDb trivia it's said that he has blue eyes in acts 2 & 3 but black in 1 & 4 - I forgot to pay attention to that on my rewatch). This way his, umm, considerable capabilities during the last act don't seem odd at all.

I got that Koolhoven is presenting him as a manifestation of evil and that contained the distinct probability that he dies in the brothel. Then resurrected as a monster/demon figure of some sort. He also mentions that he went to hell and back in Act 1 whilst taking the sermon which adds to that theory and how I picked up on it at the end of Act 3. I did not notice the eyes which is kind of cool. The fantasy element here is frustrating to me though and another mark against it because it then feels like a copout to explain leaps of logic rather than something that I found particularly interesting from a plot perspective.

Other than that I can understand that it's not a movie that everyone is going to like. It's one of the bleakest films I've seen but I often like stuff like that. I'm pretty sure that CR will absolutely hate it
I like bleak films myself as they can be the most emotionally effective but this is way up there haha.

It would be a surprise if CR liked this movie, but maybe I'm in for one.

Brimstone
I'm pretty sure that CR will absolutely hate it
It would be a surprise if CR liked this movie, but maybe I'm in for one.
Ya never know what I might like I'm getting curious about Brimstone so probably will watch it soon.

I already planned on Brimstone today but it’s fun that so much talk is going on about it now. Perfect timing. Or perhaps not, because I’m not gonna have my review up for it until tomorrow.

But I saw it. So now I’m on 3 films... trying to catch up!