Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mandy (2018)

A mixed bag for me. I heard the last 45 minutes were crazy but I thought the whole thing was a little reserved, including Nic Cage's performance. Good style at times, but at other times I thought it was overkill. I thought it was ok but nothing special.
I liked it but even if I didn't I'm glad it was made *just* for that shot of Cage you posted.

Ira
de noser poder
Hell or High Water - 7/10

I thought it was weird that so many people described this as a neo-western. The only big difference is trucks instead of horses lol

Vigilante (1982)

Lustig's dirty vigilante film that for the most parts is good but suffers from some stupidities in the script and wooden performance by Fred Williamson.

The Old Man & the Gun (2018)
Redford's last film, a nice farewell feelgood movie, partly set in 1981, it has the same look and feel of any of the Classic Bank Heist movies, I enjoyed it! A bit slow paced.. was expecting more 'heist stuff', more Glover, less Spacek.. but still enjoyed it very much.

This might just do nobody any good.
Annihilation (2018)

I probably shouldn’t feel as let down as I do that Alex Garland exceded his grasp again but that’s what I can muster from this, primarily. It’s just so blunt of an attempt to explore and examine varying forms of coping with mortal dread. There’s a great concept here but the execution side-steps most, maybe any, of the, imo, necessary introspectiveness.

Like the rest of the guy’s work, however, I did find a few things that I really did like. The visual element, for sure. Garland does direct the hell out of the movie’s forays into pure horror and Portman’s more in her element here than I’ve seen her in a while. Gina Rodriguez also brought a lot of personality to her part, I think, which added to that second point there.

Something to note: the ending wasn’t the clear low point this time around. Hmm. In fact, I kind of wish the rest of the movie had followed suit. So, a sign of progression there? Maybe?

(By the way, was it just me or did Oscar Isaac just switch to a southern accent out of nowhere?)

This might just do nobody any good.
I hadn’t typed anything on Mo’ Better Blues. My hot take is that it is the underrated Spike Lee joint.

Escape Room >> 4/10, a little better than I thought. Its all set up for part two of course. It was similar to Saw without all the gore.
I also think this one was more cleverly done.

Jon

Welcome to the human race...
Mile 22 -

more like Pile of #2

(also f*cked up that this might be the best use of Iko Uwais in a Western movie so far)

The Titfield Thunderbolt (Charles Crichton, 1953)

Pleasant rural Ealing comedy that sadly didn't quite make the MoFo 1950s Countdown

Welcome to the human race...
Summer of 84 -

added on an extra 0.5 purely because of

WARNING: "Summer of 84" spoilers below
the killer's speech to the protagonist at the end

but otherwise, woof, and I thought Super Dark Times was bad

FIRST REFORMED (2017) PAUL SCHRADER

I was watching this movie and I was thinking of two things, one was Winterlight by Bergman, the other around the middle was Taxi Driver, guess Paul Schrader made a new Travis Bickle, this one is a 47-years-old reverend named Ernst Toller, from the First Reformed Church in Snowbridge, New York. This is a very, cinematographic speaking, minimalistic, methodical movie, the camera movement is almost none, always centered without zooming or movement, which I liked very much. This is not a religious movie, this is the story of a mourning man that found a psychological getaway in a worldly concern/cause, in this case was environment. This environmental concern was introduced to him on a counseling section with a radical-environmentalist named Michael that wanted his wife to abort his not yet born children because he believed the world would become apocalyptic. One very important aspect about Michael that I fell many people didn't paid enough attention is Michael's father, a wealthy business man, a "morbid son of a bitch", I think this environmental struggle was also Michael's getaway or a way to fight back his possible bad relationship with his father, reminds me of the movie Twelve Monkeys by Terry Gilliam. I see this movie in a very Taxi Driver way, I see people's ghosts, concerns dictating there extremist views/ideas. There is a line in this movie which I particularly like very much: Wisdom is holding two contradicting truths in our mind simultaneously. I don't believe I have wisdom, but I believe I have those contradicting truths in many situations, they come with a empathy I searched. Personally in this environmental situation we are in, I believe that we are indeed destroying the planet, I believe that's a "truth", but I also believe that we are delaying the next ice age, that is also a possible "truth". I believe we are a magnificent specie, we are a curious innovative specie, we can solve any problem we come across. In this middle you might not find wisdom, but you will find harmony and a less pessimistic view.

Revenge (2017)

lmao that was fun and surprising.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
American Psycho - 7/10
I saw this on VHS shortly after it came out, and I heard it mentioned and thought to compare. I still think it's a pretty good satire (not biting, though) on the young middle-class of the 80s. A lot of it is the script, how the dialogue is full of slogans, even the repeated "Just Say No!" and other explanation cliches.