Terminator 1 vs Terminator 2

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah, I guess so . It was also mentioned on here that the T-800 had to have his chip reset to learn more from humans and how to act more like one.

However, this was in the special edition version of the movie, where as I grew up on the original theatrical cut where they do not show this. But I never thought anything of it, and just assumed that the T-800 was smart enough to learn, without needing a chip reset. Did anyone else think so, or should this plot point have been left in the theatrical cut of the movie?

Welcome to the human race...
I think in the theatrical version they actually do dub in a line at the end of the scene where the T-800 says it learns how to act more human by spending more time around humans, so your assumption was explicitly confirmed in the movie anyway. On its own, I'd consider that a satisfactory explanation, but having seen the special edition first I think there's something to be said for them having to change the chip manually (and have a character-building moment between Sarah and John in the process).

Yeah that's true. I didn't know that line was dubbed, I thought they just used a different take or something.

Also why would the T-800 allow them to access the chip? Didn't John in the future think this would be a no-no, as it puts everyone at risk, fi the Terminator allows them to shut him offline?

Welcome to the human race...
I think it's only really obviously dubbed if, like me, you've seen the special edition a lot and watch the theatrical only to notice that the line is short and said over shots where nobody's mouths are moving.

Besides, I'm not sure it matters if the T-800 has to obey past John anyway. Maybe future John considered that a risk he was willing to take.

I enjoyed T2 more as a kid but as I got older found it very corny and comedic. T1 wins by miles for me. It's more serious and gritty and doesn't play out like some blockbuster.

I think T2 played out the blockbuster elements very well and owned them. T1 is really good but I felt like it could have been more in the end, but still very good.

The first Terminator's cyborg is all business and will absolutely kill you and the audience knows this. The liquid metal terminator in T2 seems to be more toned down, less violent. And Arnie's cyborg in T2 is threading one punchline to the next throughout the whole movie. He's very hard to take seriously. There are tense moments in the movie, but they are rare. Compared to the first Terminator, T2 is pretty tame, although the set piece, the stunts and all that, are on a bigger scale, for the most part.

A system of cells interlinked
Hands down Terminator 2, no arguing that!
I'll argue!

The first Terminator's cyborg is all business and will absolutely kill you and the audience knows this. The liquid metal terminator in T2 seems to be more toned down, less violent. And Arnie's cyborg in T2 is threading one punchline to the next throughout the whole movie. He's very hard to take seriously. There are tense moments in the movie, but they are rare. Compared to the first Terminator, T2 is pretty tame, although the set piece, the stunts and all that, are on a bigger scale, for the most part.
How is the T-1000 more toned down and less violent?

the first terminators murder of Sarah the Housewife was notably violent, while he rips out one guys still beating heart from his chest and slays Ginger's boyfriend savagely. Ginger herself is shown crawling with her life draining away and the terminator just plugs her.

His lesser kills are more in keeping with what the liquid terminator does in the sequel. The liquid metal machine kills too quick and sometimes off camera, even, to really register any real menace. The mental ward cop and Todd being the only exception. Even then, its just a single stab.

His killing efficiency diminishes his impact. He just isn't that brutal, or merciless. A victim's quickly dispatched and the story simply moves on. Arnie's first terminator killed people in ways far more chilling ... even horrific.

I have a question about the plot to T2 after just watching it again.

SPOILER

Why did Miles Dyson not detonate the bomb right away? After he is shot, he tells the SWAT officers he doesn't know how much longer he can hold it, and he waits all the way until he dies trying not to detonate the bomb. But why? If he dies and fails to detonate it, it might not get detonated and then the future will not be changed. So why doesn't he detonate the bomb while he is still alive so it gets done for sure?
wasn't he buying the others time to escape? as they were going to detonate from outside but obviously Dyson wasn't going to make it anyway

The Terminator
Terminator 2 (1+2 are close though)
Salvation
Rise of the Machines
Genisys

Well it's just if he was buying them time to escape it was risky cause what if he died and it froze in his hand or something or what if the police shot him and he didn't drop the detonator on the right spot. It seemed risky to wait till you die before you detonate a bomb. As detonating a bomb is much easier to do while alive, then dead of course.

the first terminators murder of Sarah the Housewife was notably violent, while he rips out one guys still beating heart from his chest and slays Ginger's boyfriend savagely. Ginger herself is shown crawling with her life draining away and the terminator just plugs her.

His lesser kills are more in keeping with what the liquid terminator does in the sequel. The liquid metal machine kills too quick and sometimes off camera, even, to really register any real menace. The mental ward cop and Todd being the only exception. Even then, its just a single stab.

His killing efficiency diminishes his impact. He just isn't that brutal, or merciless. A victim's quickly dispatched and the story simply moves on. Arnie's first terminator killed people in ways far more chilling ... even horrific.
I didn't see it that way. The T-1000 didn't need to pull anyone's heart out cause he is so much better of a killer, that he can kill quicker and more efficiently. The T-1000 was able to kill Connor's step dad much more faster than the Terminator was able to kill the roommate's boyfriend for example, and someone who can killer faster is more dangerous.