Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelila
The story could not be more predictable. The premise is kinda silly: guy falls for the organ donor recipient who got his dead wife's heart. The development is formulaic and features a few awkward moments where jokes fall flat. Sounds like a bit of a clunker so far, doesn't it?.
This sums up my feelings about this movie, sorry I didn't find it romantic at all

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by nebbit
This sums up my feelings about this movie, sorry I didn't find it romantic at all
Hehe... There seems to be a broad range of reactions to this movie.

MovieForums Extra
I just finished reading all five pages of this thread. You are the bomb. I, too, have added several of your reviewed movies to my Netflix queue. I wish I had your talent with the written word. You are so creative and expressive. I look forward to reading many more reviews. Thank you......Birdy

Originally Posted by birdygyrl
I just finished reading all five pages of this thread. You are the bomb. I, too, have added several of your reviewed movies to my Netflix queue. I wish I had your talent with the written word. You are so creative and expressive. I look forward to reading many more reviews. Thank you......Birdy
Wow! I'm goint to print this post, frame it and hang it on my wall in a little spotlight. Thanks for reading, birdy! Your reply made my day!

If you're craving a movie that will delight your eyes, tickle your funnybone, stroke your cynicism and stimulate your brain, watch Terry Gilliam's Brazil.
brazil
Be warned: you may need to watch it twice before it all starts to fit together. There's a slight muddling of things, due to the insanity of the central character, that can make this film a little tough to follow the first time through. Fear not, Gentle Reader: the other elements are so dazzling that you'll hardly mind.

Brazil tells the story of an everyman in an absurd world of buck-passing and computer bugs. He takes one small action to set a wrong right and inadvertantly sets himself against The System.

Jonathan Pryce stars as Sam Lowrie, office cypher. Sam is an everyman, an innocent caught up in the grim realities of a "retro-futuristic" orwellian world that eerily resembles our own. Newcomer Kim Griest plays Sam's love interest and Katherine Helmond does a brilliant (if horrific) turn as his salf-absorbed mother. Sam's hero and inspiration comes in the form of a subversive duct-repairman, played by Robert De Niro.

The supporting cast is fantastic. Look for a scene in which Sam accidentally steps on the foot of Kathryn Pogson's character for the best illustration ever of the old adage about 'no small roles'.

iii

Every frame of this film is art: a delicious visual collage of art movements of the 20th Century. The grim, overbuilt world created here is beyond detailed - it's baroque and surreal. Sam escapes from this into a fantasy world of equal proportions, breathtaking and seemingly inspired by Maxfield Parrish - so you know I wasn't complaining. Similarly, the soundtrack is gorgeous. The title theme, a haunting tune from the 1930's, was the inspiration for the film and appears throughout in various forms.

Anyone who has worked in an office in a big city will relate to this scenario. Consequently, they should expect nightmares after viewing... but they'll be gorgeous nightmares!

Arresting your development
Great review!!! I just love the gorgeous nightmares.
"Gorgeous nightmares" (now that's a thought) Sometimes when the world has beaten me down, when I think all manner of evil has set itself in opposition to me, and I (for the life of me) cannot find two matching socks…that thought, and that thought alone, is the only thing that allows me to go on with my life.

Sam Lowry: How are the twins?
Jack Lint: Triplets.
Sam Lowry: My, how time flies!

I need to go to LA.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Great review!!! I just love the gorgeous nightmares.
"Gorgeous nightmares" (now that's a thought) Sometimes when the world has beaten me down, when I think all manner of evil has set itself in opposition to me, and I (for the life of me) cannot find two matching socks…that thought, and that thought alone, is the only thing that allows me to go on with my life.

Sam Lowry: How are the twins?
Jack Lint: Triplets.
Sam Lowry: My, how time flies!

I need to go to LA.
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.
I actually missed that little run of lines. That's hilarious. "how time flies"
You're coming to LA?

You're coming to LA?

I would love to go to LA... and to meet Sophia Loren.

You silly thing.
I actually submitted that post?

Whoops!

You're coming to LA?

Originally Posted by ???Bastard guy???
I would love to go to LA... and to meet Sophia Loren.
I pulled an edit out my pocket...

A system of cells interlinked
Brazil is up in my top 20 favorite films. Gilliam is a magician and a maniac. I love most of his work...

Originally Posted by Prospero
I'm glad to see that you like this wonderful movie too.
A lot of folks just don't get it. More's the pity.
Well, that's true of so many things, and yet if we all liked sushi, we could never get a seat at the bar.

Ya know how when you find that special someone…that one person who completes the puzzle that is you, the very last piece that just snicks into place and everything feels right, perfect, and whole? That person who makes you feel as though you could be standing in the face of the combined unholy armies of hell, the ’72 Pack offensive line, and the Deathstrike Razor-Merks of Galaculoa Prime 37b, Vader's force-death grip around your neck and you’d still feel safe?

You are, like, -- that.

When I read posts like this...
Well, that's true of so many things, and yet if we all liked sushi, we could never get a seat at the bar.
well... you make me want to take off my shoulder holster.

MovieForums Extra
I can't believe you reviewed this movie. I just watched it for the first time this weekend. I will admit that I was a bit skeptical at first, sat there scratching my head saying, "huh?" Then I finally realized that the more absurb it seemed to get the more I could see the message. I want to see it again soon. Thanks for another great review Delila. You rock.

Randomly visiting for now
I know you posted this so long ago, but I love your review because you really thought through the themes of the film and really made me realise the full depth of Lost in Translation. You were right about having to see it a few times, because each time you watch it, the more you get out of it. I suppose after I watch it like 10 times I may not get as much, until then it will remain one of my favourite movies to come out recently.

excellent review of a great film!!!! you know that there are three versions of this film...the first brazil is the one released in the us with the 20 minutes of the european version lopped off...the second version is the european with with the extra 20 minutes and the third version is the one that universal cut up with the "happy ending" which is the worst...we have all three versions ..the third we taped from tv once we found out it was going on...

thanks for the review...didn't mean to go off like that...