My Sister

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
I'd like to make this thread for my sister Ashley. She's 19 and she's had seizures since the age of seven and the medicine she takes hinders her learning. She's learning on an elementary level. She's at UVA's hosptial for seizure surgery elevation. If she becomes a candidate she'll go to another elevation. If she is accepted she'll have brain surgery to stop most of the seizures. I understand that it's the best thing for here. To stop her average of 11 seizures would be great. To cut her medicine in half would be great. To help her have a normal life would be great. All these things can be accomplished by performing surgery but, there's always a risk when you go under the knife. I want my sister to half a normal life but, I don't know how I would handle her not being able to see, talk, or many other things. I definitely wouldn't know how to handle my sister dieing. All this would take place in the next year or two but I still worry. My mom would probably lose it if my sister did die and that would be horrible to see. If my sister was to die life would never be the same again. I would lose the biggest part of me. I wouldn't know how I could ever live a normal life again. Then again, life never is normal. We all have our bumps and ditches in the road of life. I'm not in a pray going family so, I'd like to ask all of you who do pray to keep my sister in your prayers for me. Could you all, who do pray, do that for me? Also, could I just have a little bit of feedback on how I could find a way to not be selfish? I want my sister to have a normal life but, I don't want to lose her either. I'm getting really teary eyed just writing this so, I'm going to stop now. Just, if you could keep her in your prays and help me not be so damn selfish I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

-Matthew
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

you are not being selfish, just truthful...it's a normal reaction...all i can say is wait and see what happens, this is all you can do...until that time my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Well, I pray, and so I will definitely pray for your sister. I dont think you are being selfish at all, youre just being a brother who loves his sister. And there is nothing wrong with that.

It takes a tough person to discuss his problems. I respect you and I don't think you're selfish, you just hope for the best like we all do during tough times. Your sister will be in my prayers.

You ready? You look ready.
Thanks guys. I know that I'm really not selfish but, I still feel like I am. I really appreciate the comments. You all are my second family and I feel like I can share anything with you all.

My prayers are with you and your family and it must of been hard to share that and i resepct you alot for doing so.

Its good that your sister has a loving brother.
Hope everything works out well.

May The Forks be With Us
same here. it really sux that this is happening. i know a lot of people that have problems like this. but i am sure that with the advances we have made in technology you shouldnt be worried but u are allowed that right and i think it takes balls for a man to talk about his true, sad problems. hope everything goes well for your sister and your family

"Snozberries taste like snozberries"

The Emperor of Ice Cream
I wish you all the best of luck.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
John, that was a really touching post. It is wonderful how much you love your sister. Try concentrating on how much better things will be for your sister and your family. In all likelihood, this will be great for everyone, though it will be hard to go through. Don't let your fears overshadow the good that can and will come from this. Learn as much as you can about what's going to happen. It will probably make you feel a lot better.

I am not a religious person but my thoughts are with you, your sister and parents. I hope things go well for her and she gets the life you wish for her, the most important thing in life she already has, that is your love