Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Pixote (1981)

I never noticed this movie until a few days ago. It's highly acclaimed and is on Ebert's great movie list. I saw it compared to Los Olvidados and I'd say that's accurate, and I'd also say it has a taste of City of God. It's about poor delinquent youth in Brazil. The way it started out I thought it was going to be a documentary, but it's just a short introduction. The first hour is set in the reformatory where we get to know several of the boys. Then the rest of the movie we watch some of those boys as they get out and engage in bad behavior. Most of these boys never had a chance. There is not much of a story and the movie feels very authentic. Much of the cast is comprised of local troubled youth, rather than professional actors. In fact, the boy who plays the title character, pictured in the middle, was killed by Brazilian police when he was 19. Everything about this movie is unpleasant, but it's also great. There's a perfect copy on YouTube with English subtitles.

Sounds like a movie I've been looking for.... When I was in Australia in 2012, I saw a Brazilian movie about these 2 teens who would get into trouble, but I remember one was pretty ethical, while the other one was a bit more reckless. I remember one having a girlfriend, and have asked about the movie before. I know it wasn't made that long ago, though. I might check this out one day - I liked "City of God"

This might just do nobody any good.
It's great isn't it. Grimy and gritty. Some lovely greens and blues in it.
I did an inadvertent trilogy of Mann recently with this, Manhunter and Heat. I am now working on a young Vincent Hanna + Will Graham fan fiction where they have to team-up to catch Frank after the ending of Thief.

movies can be okay...
I once read many years ago that "Akira fans say it starts to make sense after seven viewings", though I do think that's a bit of a hyperbolic statement, like saying that you need to listen to Trout Mask Replica a hundred times to truly get it (which may or may not be true, I haven't done that yet). I think the Kaneda/Kei relationship functions well enough since they both work as foils for each other - he's the reluctant idiot anti-hero who sort of has to get dragged into the main narrative somehow and it might as well be through his unrequited crush on a political agitator who also wants to find Tetsuo.
I would say that, indeed, the film is a lot to take in at once, but it's definitely no Primer or anything as such. I walked out of it with a fair understanding of everything that occurred, plot wise.

I also have a feeling that the Kaneda/Kei relationship is more naturally developed in the manga, unlike in the anime. This is just how it seemed to me, but throughout the sequence in the hospital midway through the movie, all I could think of was: "Oh...so Kaneda has to face Tetsuo somehow, so that's why he is so inexplicably attached to specifically Kei, who will have to lead him to where the plot needs him to be". I don't know, but if Kaneda is really that type of character, then one would think we would see him already hooked to another female he randomly saw.

There's more unexplored elements that were still included in the anime, such as the Kei/Ryu relationship, along with Ryu's involvement with that politician, but they're not as important, so I don't have as much of an issue with their presentation.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Pixote (1981)

I never noticed this movie until a few days ago. It's highly acclaimed and is on Ebert's great movie list. I saw it compared to Los Olvidados and I'd say that's accurate, and I'd also say it has a taste of City of God. It's about poor delinquent youth in Brazil. The way it started out I thought it was going to be a documentary, but it's just a short introduction. The first hour is set in the reformatory where we get to know several of the boys. Then the rest of the movie we watch some of those boys as they get out and engage in bad behavior. Most of these boys never had a chance. There is not much of a story and the movie feels very authentic. Much of the cast is comprised of local troubled youth, rather than professional actors. In fact, the boy who plays the title character, pictured in the middle, was killed by Brazilian police when he was 19. Everything about this movie is unpleasant, but it's also great. There's a perfect copy on YouTube with English subtitles.
I bet I have to watch this sometime

RED (2010)

For those of you who haven't seen it, treat yourself to a well done comedy by a bunch of pros. Starring Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker, Karl Urban, Brian Cox, Richard Dreyfuss, and Morgan Freeman, there are a lot of classy laughs in this spy farce.

Everyone was exceptional in this picture. Mary-Louise was adorable, and Mirren is gorgeous. You can tell that these old pros really enjoyed working with each other.

There was a good sequel, RED 2; however a proposed RED 3 has not materialized. There was some talk of it becoming a TV series. But I doubt that it would work without this formidable cast.

~Doc

Got any thoughts? For me it was real trip. Binged the whole thing in one go.

Still trying to wrap my head around it. (🤔 that may be poor phrasing...)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Got any thoughts? For me it was real trip. Binged the whole thing in one go.

Still trying to wrap my head around it.

I also saw it in one go, but I don't think it moved fast enough. But mostly, I wanted to know more about Marjorie. Especially with 4 episodes, I thought it would be more diverse, have more interviews with actual people, instead of the same 2-3 law enforcement guys, but it was good enough for to keep watching.

Better Watch Out (2016) (Dir. Chris Peckover)

Smartly undercuts the coolness of juvenile power fantasies and sociopath antagonists. Fittingly outs aimless torture games as childish stripping them of their sinister sheen. Uses the trope of the young-boy-vying-for-the-older-girl's-affection to talk about male sexual entitlement and the toxic behaviors driven by that conviction. Better Watch Out does a lot more than just turn Home Alone into Funny Games, but it does that too, which is great.

“I was cured, all right!”

★★★★★
At this 5th view, Cosmopolis reached the status of masterpiece!
A deep look into the 21st century. Dense dialogues, full of sentences to think about, address issues such as capitalism and the global marketplace.
The car is not just a vehicle for locomotion, but a kind of bubble that allows you to keep track of everything going on - from an anticapitalist rally to the funeral of your favorite rap singer. There he gets people, talks, have sex, urine and even does medical checkups. Enter the limo just who Eric allows or invites, being an almost literal representation of his own world.

Romantic, funny and erotic.
★★★

Unregistered User
I did an inadvertent trilogy of Mann recently with this, Manhunter and Heat. I am now working on a young Vincent Hanna + Will Graham fan fiction where they have to team-up to catch Frank after the ending of Thief.

Good work Saunch. What's your ranking order of the three? Ive rated all [rating4[/rating] but would probably go Thief, Heat and Manhunter. Close though.

Unregistered User

Missions (2017)

Good French language series that went pretty much unknown. Has a few 2001: A Space Odyssey moments which I enjoyed and some of the setting was good. Absolutely loved the opening of it too. Each episode was only 25 minutes long so was easy to watch but did mean that it felt quite rushed and parts of the storyline didn't go into enough detail. Also a few issues with some of the acting but all in all was enjoyable. Will watch season 2 when it arrives.

. What's your ranking order of the three?
1. Heat
2. Manhunter
3. Thief

Everyone is my friend unless proven otherwise
bedoone tarikh bedoone emza (No Date, No Sign) 7.2/10
It doesn’t care whether it’s soon or it’s too late
Don’t be afraid if your heart wakes up from an old dream
My be God has written your story from the beginning. Ehsan khaje Amiri