The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It's never really explained in the movie but I did wonder whether Queen Elizabeth perhaps passed on her immortality to Orlando, that she had been living for centuries and slowly growing older and then passed the baton on to Orlando, as it were.

I can't see the problem with Orlando being played by a woman at all - this is a character who spends half the film as a man and the other half as a woman, whoever plays Orlando they're going to have to play a different gender at some point. Part of what the film is trying to say is that Orlando is the same person, it's how everyone else reacts to him/her that changes.
I rather loved that aspect that the person Orlando REMAINED Orlando.
And it wasn't a problem, simply a curiosity behind the director's choice to have Crispin play Queen Elizabeth. I found it intriguing and wondered about the behind the scenes story to it. That glimmer beneath the surface of a pond that catches your eye and you are fascinated by it.
I do know those scenes with the Queen and Orlando had an extra line or two of poetry for me because of it. And in my research I couldn't find anything about it. Adding to my own sense of mystery and awe to it, as it were.

Ascent well this was a whole lot of Russia. Two soldiers end up fighting for their lives during WWII, it's beautifully shot and the first act is damn near perfect filmmaking. It sort of loses it's grasp on the plot as the communist values kick in and it becomes more of the story of the lead characters psyche. But all and all this was a very good film.

The Ascent was a wonderful surprise for me. Wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it before going into it and rather enjoyed it.

Watched Europa Europa last night after reading a couple of reviews; will try to get mine done today, if I can.

I'm done with the noms. I've been done for awhile actually. I haven't composed my Top 25 movies for the upcoming Directed by Women Countdown yet, but it could be that some of the films here make it onto my list? I did really like several of these, so I guess it just depends on how many spots I have open on my list.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A couple of these films will almost certainly make it onto my list (in addition to the ones which were already there!)

Who's going to take the reigns on this if Camo has truly deserted us?
I talked to Camo yesterday, he says he's coming back, he's just taking a break from the internet for a bit.

So keep watching those noms everyone

I talked to Camo yesterday, he says he's coming back, he's just taking a break from the internet for a bit.

So keep watching those noms everyone
Glad to hear he's coming back YAY!!

THANKS!!

Europa Europa

Like all other reviews I just finished reading, except for CR's, (which I already read before watching this and it got me to see it earlier than I would have) this will be a very similar write up to all of them.

Once I DO see Forrest Gump I will most likely see the resemblances. In fact, since this movie came out first, I'll get to see the resemblances in Forrest Gump TO this movie. LOL
I have also seen Julie Delpy in a couple of films and even seen the lead actor in Immortal Beloved which was a couple of years after this. He played Beethoven's nephew/(possible son).

And yes, there were some fantastical circumstances, but, hey, you know what they say, "Truth is far more stranger than Fiction." But, still, some of them seemed more the stuff of a Tall Tale, which, in the end, it was done in a way that made it enjoyable. So, no worries.
And since this was a more lighthearted (humorous) story, it's actually difficult to gauge for me if the actual moments of tragedy had a stronger significance to them or not. There did seem to be "he'll be alright" feeling in the back of mind throughout. Even through the terrible incidents, there seemed to be protective ring about him to keep him afloat and moving forward. Like he was handed off from one gloved hand to the next through it all.
And that isn't a criticism, just an observation from my viewing.

I think that BECAUSE this had comedic moments, it truly helped the movie. I also like how we got to see more than the evil Nazi stigma that was imprinted on all of Germany during this. As exhibited in Robert and in Lenni's mom. We see two people caught in the middle of their country's ideals being changed for the worse and trying to cope with it. I really liked that.
Also, the satirical nature made a lot of great points; such as seeing that Perel IS a Jew and we see the youth being told how hideous Jews are and yet, here he is, and he is beloved by everyone that meets him. There were quite a few subtle observations like this, that I enjoyed seeing through it all.

A great lil movie that I had no knowledge of previously and so very glad to have had the opportunity to see. THANKS @jiraffejustin for nominating this!

The Last Supper (1995)

Went into this without knowing much but ended up enjoying it a fair bit. The performances were good all across the board. The film was quite funny and I didn't feel bored throughout the whole thing, although the fact this was quite short helped with that. The plot was also and I still feel its quite relevant.

Overall, quite a great nom that enjoyed very much.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)

I'd actually heard of this and the plot had interested so I was looking forward to it when it was announced as a nomination.

Overall, I thought the film was absolutely fantastic and the director was able to create a great atmosphere, with the cinematography in particular being a strong point of the film. Likewise I thought the performances of the cast were great. I also liked the use of music in the film, with my favourite use of it being when Arash and the Girl meet

Overall, I loved this quite a lot and am glad it was nominated.

Was planning on quietly updating this once a week but Ed generously started keeping a link for me of all reviews to just copy and paste, thanks so much again Ed but there's no need i just updated it and will continue to do so once a week.

Going to contact Jal now and if he's still in he'll post soon i guess, good job in joining in recently Yam.

Was planning on quietly updating this once a week but Ed generously started keeping a link for me of all reviews to just copy and paste, thanks so much again Ed but there's no need i just updated it and will continue to do so once a week.

Going to contact Jal now and if he's still in he'll post soon i guess, good job in joining in recently Yam.
Hey good to see ya, I just noticed your signature line I'm going to send you my voting list now, I've thought about the final positions and I think I'm mostly happy with my list.

my pleasure, camo!

just finished Take This Waltz and will post a review in the next day or two

Sarah Polley decides to ape Woody Allen in this story of a lower class married woman bored with her married life as she flirts with a romance with the guy next door.

So much of this movie was cutsy indie filler crap to flush out an extra half hour to it's run time. Seth Rogan plays a cook book writer...but he only writes chicken recipes, Sarah Silverman has a drinking problem which is apparently the only point to the pointless friend character, and he love interest is an artist who doesn't share his art and spends his days running a rig shaw in Canada.....

I just really hated every quirk that Polley throws into this movie.

It's not funny, it's inciteful, it's not romantic it's just crap....

Nothing Bad Can Happen...well it worked out great for a double feature with Mother!. Religious misery quasi-horror this was a hell of a downer. I'm not sure if this is a deeply emotionally manipulative film or a really good horror film.

The basic idea of the movie is a young "punk" jesus figure comes into the lives of an agnostic family. Really bad things happen in the second act of the story as we discover more and more about the darker side of the family.

It's anchored by a very strong performance from the father and everyone else is decent. I thought they went to far but this will rank fairly highly on my list.