28.77%
21 votes
However They Land On Shelf
28.77%
21 votes
Other
73 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I go by chronological order of when I bought them.......puts a strain on my memory but you soon start to develop a mental picture of where everything goes. Oddly enough the oldest DVD is "panic room" but the OLDEST is "Citizen Kane" (which lies somewhere in the middle of the shelf) you following me? haha

First by director and then by genre.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

'You messin' wit da best'
I sort my DVD's by genre and then sort them alphabetically within each genre... Except for the Stephen King movies which I have in a genre all their own

The Dvd's I watch all the time sit by my tv. The ones I don't watch all the time are thrown randomly in some drawer,
"What you have lost will not be returned to you. It will always be lost. You're left with only your scars to mark the void. All you can choose to do is go on or not. But if you go on, it's knowing you carry your scars with you." -Charles Frazier

"I would kill someone in front of their own mama for a ten speed. And if anyone testifies against me I'll gouge their eyes out."

Usually, oddly enough, by the type of case they're in.

Not to say they're organized, though. Right now, the majority of them are laying on my bedroom floor.

However they land on the shelf....

Boxed sets go in their own little area. They're special.

Evil spelled backwards is Live!
Yep...We're nerds so we take the time to sort ours into alphabetical order.

usually I arrange my DVD's by genre...however I tend to keep my foreign movies (eg/ Japanese ones) separate from the others because my friends are v.particular about what language the films are in. Plus, I enjoy my japanese films alot more than the rest of my collection.

I have a tier type system.

AFI Top 100 films -- at 64 right now, need about 30 more until I have the complete collection.

Box DVD cases - starting off with the WB special editions then usually group by director or genre or however it seems to fit.

Other classic films and director collections.

Good movies

Bad movies

You ready? You look ready.
I arrange mine by who owns them. Me, my sister, and the family DVDs. I, of course, have the most. I've gotten away from video games and started buying movies. I got about 30-50 DVDs. My gramps, who's movie crazy, has about a couple hundred movies I think it's more around 200 something. I might be mistake and it could be 150. Basically he's a rental store for me. Lol.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

In Tyler We Trust
I Arrange them by Color of the Names like White Titles are next to other white titles something like that or i arrange'em by cases like i collect speical editions so the ones with slip off covers like Se7en and Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown go on the bottom but i put my box sets on the bottom like my crow set

I have a little over 100 DVDs and they are all presently in alphabetical order. Once that number starts to grow, I'm sure to be seperating them
alphabetically by genre. I also have another 30-35 vhs tapes that I'm too cheap to convert over. They stay on the top shelf mixed.

Originally Posted by T-850
I arrange my dvd's by genre. I made a sign for each movie section. One for Action, one for drama/suspense, Horror, and so on. There are times that in my weekends I have nothing to do so I just go to my dvd shelf and check if I have the action movies in the right place. Something I didn't do when I used to buy vhs.
This is me also.

Clearly by the cases, looks best, then in order i brought them, recent at the end, easier to arrange when i get new ones

#1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan
I organize my DVD's by the order in which I get them in. So the newest one will be at the end of the rack and the oldest one at the beginning. The newest Dvd I bought would be Black Hawk Down (i know, kinda old, right? ). But I just started my collection, so don't make fun of me!

Later!

Guardian of Red Swingline Stapler
Alphabetically, but I am thinking of regrouping by genre. I generally get in the mood for a certain type of movie, and this would help in picking one out.

Originally Posted by calistoga
Alphabetically, but I am thinking of regrouping by genre. I generally get in the mood for a certain type of movie, and this would help in picking one out.
Genre always helps, when I say to myself, oh, I want to watch a comedy or horror.

Resident Metro-Sexual
Yeah alphabetical always, never to lazy to re-arrange my collection.

Fasten your seat belts...
Chaos. Pure chaos! This weekend I'm changing that!!! I've got no idea what I have or where it is! To the point I was trying to find Mighty Wind on the weekend and found I have THREE Planet of the Apes box sets. How the frig does that happen???????

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by nebbit
Genre always helps, when I say to myself, oh, I want to watch a comedy or horror.
Mine are by genre.
Who the hell is anal enough to go alphabetic?
( don't answer that Holden)

I like in the movie High Fidelity when John Cusak's character is sorting his albums autobiographically. Now that would be a challenge. At least I'd know how to get from Billy Elliot to The Commitments.